• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6800 (XT) Owners Thread.

Caporegime
Folks quick question but is there a generally regarded "best" 6800 XT model? are there any that should be avoided?
This is the best, if your case can support the 240 AIO.

Next best would be this.

On air they are all pretty good to be fair, so you can probably just go with whichever one you can get at a decent price or one that you like the look of.

In short, there are no lemons that I am aware of.

Associate
Hello Everyone!

Quick random question today, may seem like a bit of a strange one - I just recently upgraded from an old Zotac 1070 (served me well for 5 years) to a new ASUS 6800XT LC OC card - everything on the surface seems good to go - drivers for Nvidia were scrubbed, fresh install for AMD etc once all older drivers and software was purged. Stress tests in timespy(etc.) went smoothly, all without any issues, GPU temps at max utilisation were no more than say 65C or so.

Enter today (day 2 of having the card installed and first test in some actual gaming) - the GPU boosts to 99%/100% utilisation in game menu's - it drops down to say 50/60% during gameplay but anytime I am near a menu, an installer or even the options menu in game, it freaks out to 99+% usage, fan curves go nuts, temps stay within the aforementioned 65C which I am not worried about - my question is surely it cannot be normal for the GPU to be sitting at 99+% utilisation from just the main game menu or options menu in game?

For the avoidance of doubt - no other overclocks as of yet, literally plug and play and the only thing changed within Radeon software was a custom fan curve and the elimination of Zero RPM fan option. Baffled by this as the old Zotac 1070 never bothered itself in a simple game menu and its rather disconcerting that the card boosts just at game launch and actually relaxes once in game.

Any thoughts?

Base SPecs:
5900X
Crosshair VIII Hero WIFI (BIOS 3601)
32Gb G.SKILL Trident Z - 3200mhz
Corsair HX1000i PSU

Is this a specific game ? some have unlocked fps in the menu which could cause this, try setting FRTC to the frequency of your monitor and see if that helps.

Associate
Hello Everyone!

Quick random question today, may seem like a bit of a strange one - I just recently upgraded from an old Zotac 1070 (served me well for 5 years) to a new ASUS 6800XT LC OC card - everything on the surface seems good to go - drivers for Nvidia were scrubbed, fresh install for AMD etc once all older drivers and software was purged. Stress tests in timespy(etc.) went smoothly, all without any issues, GPU temps at max utilisation were no more than say 65C or so.

Enter today (day 2 of having the card installed and first test in some actual gaming) - the GPU boosts to 99%/100% utilisation in game menu's - it drops down to say 50/60% during gameplay but anytime I am near a menu, an installer or even the options menu in game, it freaks out to 99+% usage, fan curves go nuts, temps stay within the aforementioned 65C which I am not worried about - my question is surely it cannot be normal for the GPU to be sitting at 99+% utilisation from just the main game menu or options menu in game?

For the avoidance of doubt - no other overclocks as of yet, literally plug and play and the only thing changed within Radeon software was a custom fan curve and the elimination of Zero RPM fan option. Baffled by this as the old Zotac 1070 never bothered itself in a simple game menu and its rather disconcerting that the card boosts just at game launch and actually relaxes once in game.

Any thoughts?

Base SPecs:
5900X
Crosshair VIII Hero WIFI (BIOS 3601)
32Gb G.SKILL Trident Z - 3200mhz
Corsair HX1000i PSU

I have the same card from memory when i first installed card i had similar did not check usage but noticed fans went ballistic as soon as i fired up 3dmark. I have now set up custom profiles for games like bf5 etc in driver software and it pretty much does as i would expect.. this is gpu usage in BF5 menu ignore fan speed its of my profile. i have the fps uncapped in game menu for my monitor.

https://i.postimg.cc/FH23xj6V/BF5-game-menu-gpu-usage.png

Note !
I changed bf5 settings from Directx 11 to 12 and yes i am getting the same result GPU load around 95% in menu of game not sure why but if you google it i found others with Nvidia cards getting the same.

cheers

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Couple of questions, been helping a mate with a build using a 6800XT Asus Strix LC.

Lovely bit of kit with the AIO but having a few issues.
Thr machine boots fine and the fans and LED on the AIO and GPU light up but none of the fans are actually working, it looks to me like the fan cables, etc all go into the GPU so I assume I don't need to connect that anywhere else?

Second, I've updated the drivers via the AMD Center, do I need to install any specific Asus software for the card?

Man of Honour
Struggling a little with an Asus TUF 6800XT OC card in terms of performance.

Most of the reviews and benchmark videos have performance at 1440p (and 4K) way above what I seem to be able to get out of the card and certainly at 1440p on par in the vast majority of titles with a 3080 (even a 3090 in some cases).

However playing COD Warzone or Battlefield V I'm struggling to get out of the mid 70's in FPS when it looks on paper like I should be able to be getting 100+ fairly easily.

I had wondered if its my CPU (Ryzen 7 3700X) but its never caused me any issue before and in BFV/COD it doesn't appear to be using anywhere near the full CPU anyway (I am seeing more CPU related limits in MSFS since the last update though!).

Temps seem to be fine; I even wondered if it was the braided PSU cable extensions I used but swapping them back hasn't helped and the PSU (750W) seems to be more than adequate.
I'm just at a bit of a loss as to how I can find what's not working 100%!

Soldato
A newer CPU would certainly help but that said I was getting around 130-150fps in warzone with a RTX 3080 + ryzen 5 3600 so you should definetly be doing better than 70.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
However playing COD Warzone or Battlefield V I'm struggling to get out of the mid 70's in FPS when it looks on paper like I should be able to be getting 100+ fairly easily.

If you set vsync/gsync/freesync or lock the fps to suit the monitor it wont fly on the fps - do you get tearing? From memory in Warzone you had to toggle on the unlimited fps (Frame Rate Limit - unlimited) for example.

Man of Honour
If you set vsync/gsync/freesync or lock the fps to suit the monitor it wont fly on the fps - do you get tearing? From memory in Warzone you had to toggle on the unlimited fps (Frame Rate Limit - unlimited) for example.

I've got a 165Hz 1440p monitor (only since last week) so I'll check those settings; I'm pretty sure in Warzone I've left it at unlimited though.

Soldato
Got a 6800XT TUF in yesterday, bit of a struggle getting it into my NR200 ITX case but got it in and temps aren't too bad when running at 2500 boost and 2100mem, obviously be better in a P500 or something similar, going to swap my AIO to a Noctua C14S today, should help temps overall and also going see if I can fit some slim fans underneath GPU

Performance at 4K is decent in most things but not perfect, I need to try a game that has FSR see how it compares in person to DLSS on my 3060Ti, I'm debating if I should see about returning it to OcUK and getting a 3080Ti/6900XT, however I dunno if I can swallow the £3-400 increase for marginal gains in some games

Associate
Struggling a little with an Asus TUF 6800XT OC card in terms of performance.

Most of the reviews and benchmark videos have performance at 1440p (and 4K) way above what I seem to be able to get out of the card and certainly at 1440p on par in the vast majority of titles with a 3080 (even a 3090 in some cases).

I had wondered if its my CPU (Ryzen 7 3700X) but its never caused me any issue before and in BFV/COD it doesn't appear to be using anywhere near the full CPU anyway (I am seeing more CPU related limits in MSFS since the last update though!).

Temps seem to be fine; I even wondered if it was the braided PSU cable extensions I used but swapping them back hasn't helped and the PSU (750W) seems to be more than adequate.
I'm just at a bit of a loss as to how I can find what's not working 100%!

You could see if this will help with Warzone, https://youtu.be/muSXmzm783s?t=243

Man of Honour
You could see if this will help with Warzone, https://youtu.be/muSXmzm783s?t=243

Hey thanks for that; still having issues though; played a few things tonight and the FPS I'm getting is way, way down on what I'd expect; looking at reviews/benchmarks online it seems reasonable that I should be getting FPS of 100+ in 1440P and 4K even with mostly Ultra settings; I'm barely getting over 70.
Even F1 2020 which should be running with ease in 4K or 1440P I'm well down on expectations; literally the only component that has changed is the GPU (I had my the 6800XT Liquid Cooled Asus I used for a friends build; it didn't really suit my case anyway) I could understand a difference if the temps were higher, etc but the TUF is a cool card and I'm seeing no temp spikes on the GPU (or CPU) that would be causing this dire performance.
I think I'll need to raise a return and buy something else.

Back
Top Bottom