• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Yep they can have coil whine too mine does. Users just need to accept coil whine comes as standard with 7900XTX/4090 these days.
Has it got to the stage that every GPU whines loudly now?

I have a 6600XT that doesn't and the other half's 3060TI does a bit in menus but not in games, but the 4070 I just bought her absolutely screams, audible in game over the case fans and the desktop speakers.

The only previous card I had with obnoxious coil whine was a Vega 64, is loud coil whine just to be expected now?

I was going to get a 7900XT for me but I probably won't bother if so - we're in our 40s now and we don't really care about top tier performance, we just felt like an upgrade.

Has it got to the stage that every GPU whines loudly now?

I have a 6600XT that doesn't and the other half's 3060TI does a bit in menus but not in games, but the 4070 I just bought her absolutely screams, audible in game over the case fans and the desktop speakers.

The only previous card I had with obnoxious coil whine was a Vega 64, is loud coil whine just to be expected now?

I was going to get a 7900XT for me but I probably won't bother if so - we're in our 40s now and we don't really care about top tier performance, we just felt like an upgrade.
For high end GPUs, yes it has. High end would probably be 7900XT/4080 and upwards. Certainly most 7900 XTX and 4090 whine. I’ve tested loads of both and although the 4090 was worse in almost all cases, they had all whine to some degree.

Low end GPUs generally can't spit out enough FPS to have bad coil whine.

Last edited:
Only way I could read Power usage as the version of MSI Afterburner I have installed wouldn't pick it up. Just seen 4.65 is out now so will update that soon.
Can confirm Afterburner 4.6.5 Final now includes power monitoriung for 7900XT/XTX. Prior to that was using the HWinfo plugin for Afterburner, but it was slower to update the power numbers in the overlay.

For high end GPUs, yes it has. High end would probably be 7900XT/4080 and upwards. Certainly most 7900 XTX and 4090 whine. I’ve tested loads of both and although the 4090 was worse in almost all cases, they had all whine to some degree.

Thanks - I was afraid of that.

It's a shame, I used to really enjoy PC hardware back when I was young - went AIW Radeon, 8500, 9500 Pro, X800XL, X1900XTX in what was then my ATI system. Now I'm old and if the PC's going to scream at me I'm not interested. :)

With regard to the whine how bad is it if you limit them via adrenaline/nvidia equivalent? reason I ask is I have a 6800 but may jump on a 7900XT at the end of the year and as I limit my 6800 to 120 I never hear any coil whine.

Last edited:
Really contemplating getting a 7900xtx to replace the 3090 for 1440p UW. It's only at 4k the 4090 really excels so i think the 7900xtx should be a decent upgrade over the 3090.

Anyone here done the same, whats your feelings, thoughts on it?

Really contemplating getting a 7900xtx to replace the 3090 for 1440p UW. It's only at 4k the 4090 really excels so i think the 7900xtx should be a decent upgrade over the 3090.

Anyone here done the same, whats your feelings, thoughts on it?

I'd personally skip and wait for next generation from both as a 3090 as quite a lot of horsepower.

Awesome. So the Nitro has 1 year more warranty than the reference sapphire I see from the product pages. Is that correct?

Correct.

Back
Top Bottom