• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

If you have a Red Devil you might wanna check your temps: https://www.igorslab.de/en/powercol...ngsfehler-wenn-der-hotspot-zum-standard-wird/

Last edited:
Ironically the much maligned 4070 appears to be the safest bet, so far, low temperatures, tried and tested 8pin power connector and low power consumption, so little chance of accidental overvoltage, thermal throttling or improperly seated cables.

Only real downside is the price.

Red devil cards report high temps

It has always been the case that some cards will have the thermal paste poorly applied. When a card of this tier was £250 you could forgive it but when they are over £750 you would have at lease expected some testing.

I would be interested to see how much care actually goes into the assembly of these premium products and whether they are ever put into a PC and a benchmark ran before they are boxed ? With a properly configured testing set up 1 guy could test around 20 cards an hour so it is not that expensive to run, only to set up. Just have 10 test PCs set up in a row and instal card , boot into windows and run benchmark and leave it running while you move onto the next one. Once you have installed 10 go back to the first and check temps , if the junction temp is within the expected range then it passes , if not it fails. Instal new card and move on to next , rinse repeat.

When I removed the cooler on my MBA it had a lot of thermal gunk on it , a lot more than shown in the Powercolor pic. Once I put the waterblock back on I put less than in that pic but I spread it over the entire die and side chips in an even layer. I did not do a sausage like Igor and I have under 10C difference in gpu and junction temp when gaming so I am happy with it.

Most(?) AIBs use an automated process to apply an identical amount of thermal paste in an even coverage (or a pre-cut semi-solid 'pad') - if there's gaps like in Igor's example it's either because something went very wrong on the assembly line or because the Red Devils are having their paste applied manually.

Last edited:
Some of The Red Devils had this problem on the 6800/6900 series too. The actual cooler is decent enough so guess it’s a mounting issue, but I know some folk fixed it with a repaste too.

If you have a Red Devil you might wanna check your temps: https://www.igorslab.de/en/powercol...ngsfehler-wenn-der-hotspot-zum-standard-wird/

Surely this is just an isolated issue and nothing to really be concerned about. Unlike the reference XTX cards. If it was widespread people would have been screaming about it on Reddit by now.

Surely this is just an isolated issue and nothing to really be concerned about. Unlike the reference XTX cards. If it was widespread people would have been screaming about it on Reddit by now.
My 6900xt MBA was poorly built. The graphene pad had missed one corner slightly. I've got the cooler to sell, the card was blocked after 2h of testing and gone now. (Out the door that is).

Got a favour to ask of someone with a 5800X3D and a 7900XTX - would it be possible to run the Red Dead Redemption 2 built in benchmark with the following settings and share the result?

Want to see how much of a gain I could look to see at 1440p, thanks.

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Screenshot-2023-05-17-19-53-34-99.png

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Screenshot-2023-05-17-19-53-46-78.png

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Screenshot-2023-05-17-19-53-58-61.png

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Screenshot-2023-05-17-19-54-12-51.png

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Screenshot-2023-05-17-19-54-18-23.png

Ta muchly :D

So having got my first Sapphire card, I keep seeing a lot praise for them as the best AIB for AMD. What’s user’s experience like with Sapphire cards in general?

So having got my first Sapphire card, I keep seeing a lot praise for them as the best AIB for AMD. What’s user’s experience like with Sapphire cards in general?
Mines been very good. Nitro plus vega 64 is still in use every day with my nephew who loves it. My daughter also has a vega 64 that is used everyday and my card has not let me down. To be fair my 6900xt Red Devil was very good as well.

Last edited:
Question, I got a 6950XT MBA yesterday for cheap and the perf is great but I keep looking at 7900XTX's.... For those that did the upgrade, Is the jump from a 6900XT/6950XT to a 7900XTX worth it or is it too little of a perf jump for the outlay ?

Last edited:
Ordered the 7900XT Nitro to replace my 5700XT Nitro. I hope the performance increase will be noticeable.

Also considered the XTX but I think the XT offers a bit better VFM for 1440p.

Ordered the 7900XT Nitro to replace my 5700XT Nitro. I hope the performance increase will be noticeable.

Also considered the XTX but I think the XT offers a bit better VFM for 1440p.

Good luck with your choice :)

Curious, why pay the extra over the cheapest model available..? Is the price difference "worth" that..?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom