• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
Read up on it but don't think it's aimed towards someone who doesn't overclock or use RGB.
The nitro? I have one - it's undervolted and I've upped the power limit - both take approx 60 seconds or less. Yes there is RGB but you can turn that down / off. Card is superb out of the box - runs cool and quiet. Would defo recommend if you're sticking with the red team. I do really hope FSR 3 produces some great results though. Sick of hearing about DLSS 3 and frame gen from my brother right after I swapped from my 3080 :p

Soldato
Any issues with card. That's only thing holding me back is driver issues. I want a card that I just plug in and play and update drivers when they come out. My Nvidia cards have been flawless so I want the same with AMD.
I came over from Nvidia after about 7 years away from AMD in many respects because I hated their software back then and drivers. I have to say that I absolutely love AMD Adrenaline software (Their version of Geforce experience) as it's frankly far superior and I've had a total of 1 game crash (Starfield) in the past couple of weeks, probably my fault as I was tinkering a lot with graphics settings without restarting the client.

I got mine "cheap" jesus if you can call it that on a deal for £830, model is a https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/Radeon-RX-7900-XTX-GAMING-TRIO-CLASSIC-24G , one of the fairly basic ones but haven't had any issues with it. I haven't looked at overclocking etc. Nothing is troubling it at 3440x1440 paired with a 7800x3d

Last edited:
Associate
Now that I've been using my Sapphire Pulse for a week, I have to day that so far so good ! I've only played Starfield & Darktide, but it's delivering really nice gameplay.
I've realised that my case kind of sucks for airflow - an old Meshify C with glass side, packed to the gunnels with 13700k huge Dark Rock Pro cooler & the modern generation of cards runs toasty.
The pulse hasn't been hitting the highs my Inno 4070ti was but still pretty warm compared to what a lot of people with the same card report. I've ordered some Noctua fans to see if I can improve it otherwise I quite fancy getting a mesh-sided Fractal North (because they look so great) - do people think that would help with GPU temps ?

Soldato
Now that I've been using my Sapphire Pulse for a week, I have to day that so far so good ! I've only played Starfield & Darktide, but it's delivering really nice gameplay.
I've realised that my case kind of sucks for airflow - an old Meshify C with glass side, packed to the gunnels with 13700k huge Dark Rock Pro cooler & the modern generation of cards runs toasty.
The pulse hasn't been hitting the highs my Inno 4070ti was but still pretty warm compared to what a lot of people with the same card report. I've ordered some Noctua fans to see if I can improve it otherwise I quite fancy getting a mesh-sided Fractal North (because they look so great) - do people think that would help with GPU temps ?
Check out the Asus ap201 mine came last week, looks great and it's designed to have good airflow, it's also matx if that fits your build.

Last edited:
Soldato

What temps do you see now? I get 70C steady in my Meshify C at >95% utilisation, eg Cyberpunk, Starfield etc with my pulse 7900xtx

I removed the front foam filter and just blow out the dust every few months. It doesn’t get that dusty to be fair.

I have my intake fans set around 50% iirc

That’s with 2 noctua 140mm front fans and a single noctua 120mm rear fan.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got my 7900XT Pulse in a Fractal North with a 5800x3D - although not the mesh sided one, the glass window - and temps are fantastic.

It might be worth just looking at your fan set up vs. changing the case initially. I'm running 2x 140mm as intakes - then I have a Noctua D15s for my CPU cooler and then 2x 120mm fans as exhaust (1 at the back, 1 at the top towards the rear). Playing F1 23 this morning and the GPU is sat at 62 deg and the CPU sat at 54 deg - all whilst the fans are spinning nice and quietly.

I'd definitely look at your fans before changing the entire case - but if you do end up swapping, the North is a brilliant case. Also looks super nice!

Soldato
I have the white north meshed side panel and love it. Saves me spending money on making the inside look good too as you can barely see in it :D

Building with it was a breeze, my favourite case of the past 30 years if I'm honest.

Associate
What temps do you see now? I get 70C steady in my Meshify C at >95% utilisation, eg Cyberpunk, Starfield etc with my pulse 7900xtx

I removed the front foam filter and just blow out the dust every few months. It doesn’t get that dusty to be fair.

Did you try customising the GPU fan settings in Adrenalin? This made a big difference to my pulse temps without much difference in fan noise. These are my settings (zero fan is disabled):

Temp : Fan Speed
P1 30:15
P2 40:25
P3 60:60
P4 70:85
P5 75:100

Associate
Check out the Asus ap201 mine came last week, looks great and it's designed to have good airflow, it's also matx if that fits your build.
Ah my motherboard is ATX, so M-ATX cases won't work for me but I appreciate the suggestion - Looks like a very nice case.

Associate
I've got my 7900XT Pulse in a Fractal North with a 5800x3D - although not the mesh sided one, the glass window - and temps are fantastic.

It might be worth just looking at your fan set up vs. changing the case initially. I'm running 2x 140mm as intakes - then I have a Noctua D15s for my CPU cooler and then 2x 120mm fans as exhaust (1 at the back, 1 at the top towards the rear). Playing F1 23 this morning and the GPU is sat at 62 deg and the CPU sat at 54 deg - all whilst the fans are spinning nice and quietly.

I'd definitely look at your fans before changing the entire case - but if you do end up swapping, the North is a brilliant case. Also looks super nice!
Yes this is what I'm going to 1st. I'm planning to put a more static-pressure oriented Noctua fan directly in front of the GPU (it's like a 2mm gap) and the low impedence one as the exhaust (case only has a single 120mm for exhaust) & run both at full speed, to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your advice.

Associate
I have the white north meshed side panel and love it. Saves me spending money on making the inside look good too as you can barely see in it :D

Building with it was a breeze, my favourite case of the past 30 years if I'm honest.
Yeah I've seen so many atempts at using wood, mostly mods & this is the 1st one where they really nailed it. Looks incredibly classy & also not like anything else.

Associate

The worst I've seen on Starfield (Native 4k) is 85 deg temp, 100 hotspot. The Delta remains constant.
The reason I think the problem (or 'problem' since it's within specs) is that the back side & the glass of the case saturate with heat pretty rapidly & it did the same with my 4070ti which suggests to me the case just isn't moving the hot air out very well.
I've got a 140 Alpfenhone intake in front of the GPU at 100% (1200 rpm I think) same on top & a more powerful old Thermaltake of some type, which is noisy so I run at about 700. Then a single Akasa Apache Black as exhaust.
The 13700k runs hot obviously & the whole space is pretty packed with a massive GPU & huge air cooler. Plus the glass side doesn't let it breath much.

Last edited:
Associate
Did you try customising the GPU fan settings in Adrenalin? This made a big difference to my pulse temps without much difference in fan noise. These are my settings (zero fan is disabled):

Temp : Fan Speed
P1 30:15
P2 40:25
P3 60:60
P4 70:85
P5 75:100
I've not changed it from the default yet. Good idea I'll give it a whirl.

Associate
OK, that made a big difference !
10 deg cooler main temp & hotspot, much lower fan speed.

Put one of these intaking right infront of the GPU (literally 2mm gap) :
And one of these as the exhaust:

They're quiet enough that I just set them to 100% all the time.
Who knew that a random assortment of 12-year old case fans wasn't optimal ? :D

Associate
I've just bought a Pulse 7900 XTX from OCUK to replace my 3080 with VRAM artifacting which Zotac just stopped replying to my RMA emails about... Long story... At least, judging by experiences here, I can trust that wouldn't happen with OCUK! :D

Won't be a huuuge performance jump, but thought there was little point doing basically a minor sidegrade with something like a 6950 XT if I can just get a newer gen card for (albeit a lot) more money and not worry about anything for a long time.

I've got two high refresh rate 4K monitors I got for super cheap, plus a 1440p@170Hz so thought the extra VRAM and performance was worthwhile from that card, especially in some of the sim games I play, like MSFS. RT performance is upsetting on AMD, but I don't honestly care about ray tracing that much. Most games I play don't support it, or I barely notice a difference.

Soldato
Ordered the 7900xtx Nitro after some recommendations on here. Hope it like it as ive never been AMD apart from going ATI years ago with a 9800xt and 1800xt.
Also orders a 7800x3d, 32gb ddr5, asus matx tuf board and 2tb 990 samsung m.2 memory and the rest of a system.

Please checkout my build thread as im sure i could do with advice as i havent build a system since 2018 so im a bit rusty. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/asus-prime-ap201-matx-gaming-build.18977876/

This card destroyed my budget, this thing better be a beast at 1440p.

Last edited:
Associate
Ordered the 7900xtx Nitro after some recommendations on here. Hope it like it as ive never been AMD apart from going ATI years ago with a 9800xt and 1800xt.
Also orders a 7800x3d, 32gb ddr5, asus matx tuf board and 2tb 990 samsung m.2 memory and the rest of a system.

Please checkout my build thread as im sure i could do with advice as i havent build a system since 2018 so im a bit rusty. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/asus-prime-ap201-matx-gaming-build.18977876/

This card destroyed my budget, this thing better be a beast at 1440p.
You better check hub or gamers nexus to give you an idea what to expect.

Soldato
im sure i could do with advice
Make sure you enable Rebar in your new MB bios for best performance in most games.

If you don't know how:
Power on the system and press <delete> key to enter BIOS [EZ Mode]
Click Resize BAR icon and set to [On]
Press <F10> key and click <OK> , the system will auto reboot

resize_bar.JPEG

Back
Top Bottom