• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Just a semi-reference for anyone thinking of grabbing a Nitro+ 7900 XTX and wanting to go cool and quiet with one, here's what I was able to get by letting the Nitro heatsoak the temps and with some undervolting and overclocking:

Shadows of the Tomb Raider (Benchmark) - Easiest benchmark I could grab and do in short order.

Undervolt
3050Mhz Core Max Boost (voltage, temp, viable etc, from 2970Mhz Normal)
1095mv (Undervolt from 1150mv Normal)
2714Mhz Fast Timing Memory (from 2500Mhz Normal)
-10 Power Limit
Average 108 FPS at 3440x1440 (DX12, no Ray Tracing, no HDR, SMAA), Min 82, Max 183, Average 113, 95% 89

2970Mhz Core Max Boost
1150mv
2500Mhz Normal Timing Memory
0 Power Limit
Average 107 FPS at 3440x1440 (DX12, no Ray Tracing, no HDR, SMAA), Min 81, Max 181, Average 111, 95% 88

Slight Memory OC and Power Limit Increase
2970Mhz Core Max Boost
+15 Power Limit
Average 111 FPS at 3440x1440 (DX12, no Ray Tracing, no HDR, SMAA), min 81, Max 192, Average 115, 95% 87

The Hotspot temp on the Undervolt happens to never come close to 80C unlike the other two (Default and Power Limit increase, where it routinely exceeds 85C). This is with a system providing it constant fresh cooler air from outside the case (Lancool III). And the GPU fans almost never spin up or never has reason to spin up besides the bare minimum needed (which is set at a static rate in my system using Aquacomputer's Aquasuite software). This is in a system of Noctua A12x25's running between 23% and 38% (from 541rpm to 924 rpm in a staggered fashion between all the fans to reduce harmonic resonance), so you should know that it really is quite unnoticeable during operation.

Previously had to (with the Power Limit at +15) need the system fans at a much higher rpm level (and thus more noise running between 47% and 65% giving 1075rpm and 1424rpm, so a lot more noticeable even with the A12x25's which would have a better noise profile) when playing something like Baldur's Gate 3. As the Hotspot was exceeding the 85C region and it starts to ramp the onboard fans and would potentially crash due to high (Hotspot) temps soaking in the GPU.

Of course, there's less power being used as well, and if you look at the numbers, the difference is a marginal few frames at best. But you end up using less power to get pretty much the same performance out of the GPU whilst being cooler and quieter (potentially, as of course it'll depend on your GPU as well).

What's the usual recommendation for limiting fps with an AMD card?

With my Nvidia cards I would just use the control panel to set a '237 fps' limit so it would never exceed that, what's the go-to for the AMD equivelant?

AMD Chill unless there are adverse effects from putting the same number in for high and low FPS range? Are you locking to display refresh rate?

Have a read about that feature though, some people are more 'sensitive' to seeing it drop the FPS intentionally.

AMD Chill unless there are adverse effects from putting the same number in for high and low FPS range? Are you locking to display refresh rate?

Have a read about that feature though, some people are more 'sensitive' to seeing it drop the FPS intentionally.
Yeah, good shout - I'd seen it on Adrenalin but wasn't overly sure whether to use it considering it had 'high' and 'low' sliders.

I essentially want to just limit my frames from going above 237. I use a 240hz monitor - so just want to cap my frames from going into / above that number unnecessarily. I'll have a bit more of a read on it all.

I've got a 7900XT Pulse too and use Chill on everything, 60-120Hz to match my monitor max. But doing more for the intended heat reduction.
So in Adrenalin you set your min chill to 60 and max to 120 and then just crack on? I might give it a whirl over the next few days and see how it goes.

Just a semi-reference for anyone thinking of grabbing a Nitro+ 7900 XTX and wanting to go cool and quiet with one, here's what I was able to get by letting the Nitro heatsoak the temps and with some undervolting and overclocking:

Shadows of the Tomb Raider (Benchmark) - Easiest benchmark I could grab and do in short order.

Undervolt
3050Mhz Core Max Boost (voltage, temp, viable etc, from 2970Mhz Normal)
-10 Power Limit
Average 108 FPS at 3440x1440 (DX12, no Ray Tracing, no HDR, SMAA), Min 82, Max 183, Average 113, 95% 89

2970Mhz Core Max Boost
1150mv
2500Mhz Normal Timing Memory
0 Power Limit
Average 107 FPS at 3440x1440 (DX12, no Ray Tracing, no HDR, SMAA), Min 81, Max 181, Average 111, 95% 88

Slight Memory OC and Power Limit Increase
2970Mhz Core Max Boost
+15 Power Limit
Average 111 FPS at 3440x1440 (DX12, no Ray Tracing, no HDR, SMAA), min 81, Max 192, Average 115, 95% 87

The Hotspot temp on the Undervolt happens to never come close to 80C unlike the other two (Default and Power Limit increase, where it routinely exceeds 85C). This is with a system providing it constant fresh cooler air from outside the case (Lancool III). And the GPU fans almost never spin up or never has reason to spin up besides the bare minimum needed (which is set at a static rate in my system using Aquacomputer's Aquasuite software). This is in a system of Noctua A12x25's running between 23% and 38% (from 541rpm to 924 rpm in a staggered fashion between all the fans to reduce harmonic resonance), so you should know that it really is quite unnoticeable during operation.

Previously had to (with the Power Limit at +15) need the system fans at a much higher rpm level (and thus more noise running between 47% and 65% giving 1075rpm and 1424rpm, so a lot more noticeable even with the A12x25's which would have a better noise profile) when playing something like Baldur's Gate 3. As the Hotspot was exceeding the 85C region and it starts to ramp the onboard fans and would potentially crash due to high (Hotspot) temps soaking in the GPU.

Of course, there's less power being used as well, and if you look at the numbers, the difference is a marginal few frames at best. But you end up using less power to get pretty much the same performance out of the GPU whilst being cooler and quieter (potentially, as of course it'll depend on your GPU as well).
Setting your core to1095mv, what is it actually showing in other software. (HWM,GPU-Z)

Setting your core to1095mv, what is it actually showing in other software. (HWM,GPU-Z)

CPU Core Voltage (after setting to 1095mV core) and running Benchmark (Shadows of the Tomb Raider)
HWInfo: Max 1.005V
GPUZ: Max 1.014V

:: edit ::
Forgot to add, this is already using BIOS 2 (secondary BIOS) so reduced power already. But shows a marked drop in power consumption, heat produced vs the marginal frames gained by pumping the power up.

Last edited:
I installed my sapphire nitro + today, but a small moan about it is when i peeled off the protective layer on the cooler, it took some of the colour off with it. it has done it in a few spots

has anyone else had this happen to them?

Took off some colour from where on the GPU exactly? (There's a few areas where plastic covers that area and could be what you're talking about, so need to know if it's the LED strip plastic, the back plate cover, fan shroud cover, etc, and then which part)

Personally, I didn't have any issues on my one.

The fan shroud

e6RXCRo.jpg

Sold my 4090 and looking at 7900xtx. Having a hard time on deciding the one to choose, out of the two is the Nitro worth the £130 premium?

- Asrock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC
- Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X

Sold my 4090 and looking at 7900xtx. Having a hard time on deciding the one to choose, out of the two is the Nitro worth the £130 premium?

- Asrock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC
- Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X
Why you sell the 4090 it's the better performing card?
I have the Sapphire card you listed, very happy with it and it's silent as well for me. Great card for my 1440p monitor.

Back
Top Bottom