• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
My XFX 7900XTX Merc 310 Black was delivered today with the AMD free game as well, all working well and very happy with the build quality of the card and the support bracket. Good job I had space inside my case as it the card is very large with the bracket.

The performance increase is excellent coming from the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro +.

As for RMA service only time will tell. I had good and bad RMA issues with all supplies over the last thirty years.

Now I need to work out how to overclock the card to reach it full potential.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
My XFX 7900XTX Merc 310 Black was delivered today with the AMD free game as well, all working well and very happy with the build quality of the card and the support bracket. Good job I had space inside my case as it the card is very large with the bracket.

The performance increase is excellent coming from the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro +.

As for RMA service only time will tell. I had good and bad RMA issues with all supplies over the last thirty years.

Now I need to work out how to overclock the card to reach it full potential.

Thanks
If you don't care about power usage then I'd say go for it otherwise I would look into undervolting and a slight underclock(maybe) to get very close to stock performance with a nice fat reduction in power draw. AMD always pushes their cards near max out of the gate with the exception to that rule being the 7800 XT it seems.

Soldato
I didn't adjust the clock speeds or anything yet, just as a quick test undervolted to 1100mv and had 30 minutes in the game, saves roughly 30w without any change in performance in cities skylines 2(why I needed to upgrade!). I'll probably push it further when I get time.

Associate
If you don't care about power usage then I'd say go for it otherwise I would look into undervolting and a slight underclock(maybe) to get very close to stock performance with a nice fat reduction in power draw. AMD always pushes their cards near max out of the gate with the exception to that rule being the 7800 XT it seems.

I am trying a slight memory OC, left it on the quiet bios setting. Do you still need to set the power limit to +15?

3000Mhz Core Max Boost
1100mv (Undervolt from 1150mv Normal)
2700Mhz Fast Timing Memory (from 2500Mhz Normal)

I trying just the power limit set to +15 as well to compare.

Last edited:
Associate
I am trying a slight memory OC, left it on the quiet bios setting. Do you still need to set the power limit to +15?

3000Mhz Core Max Boost
1100mv (Undervolt from 1150mv Normal)
2700Mhz Fast Timing Memory (from 2500Mhz Normal)

I trying just the power limit set to +15 as well to compare.

You'll probably (depening on game/application) get a few more frames out of it by going +15 to power (not always, it may even go backwards and lose some frames in some weird cases), but end up dumping a load more power (price of electricity) for those few extra frames and of course (ratio of energy put in wildly exceeds what frames you get out of it in return), and the extra heat produced as well by the GPU.

You could also go -10 and save a boat load of energy consumed and basically lose nothing compared to default settings (on the silent BIOS) and might even gain some compared to it (if the cooling is sufficient).

I myself have:

3050Mhz Core Max Boost
1095mv (Undervolt from 1150mv Normal)
2714Mhz Fast Timing Memory (from 2500Mhz Normal, 2714Mhz because there's some offset so the extra 14Mhz needed to get it to 2700Mhz)

And I have it running at -10 to the Power Limit on the Silent Bios of the Nitro+. But of course, each GPU is different, so mileage may vary.

Soldato
Picked up a Nitro+ 7900XT for the wife and got it setup a couple of days ago. Seems very quiet; can't complain, she cannot hear her new rig at all over her headphones, despite the PC sitting on the desk next to her. It's noticeable but reasonable even without headphones, so yeah can't complain, the Nitro+ seems to be completely overbuilt for the 7900XT, which I suppose is no surprise if it's basically the same cooler as the heftier 7900XTX. Could not say the same about the 3080 in her prior rig, those get noticeably hot and louder; albeit they do the job well.

Doing a quick read of the last few pages of this thread, am I right in thinking if I want to give her a slight boost, with no stability issues, the best trick would be to just give the card +15% power, and then let the card do it's own thing; rather than tinkering with the more advanced settings?
If it was my rig, I'd try to extract the most out of the card (with consideration for 24/7 stability, not absolute maximum clocks), but for her, stability is the biggest requirement.

Associate
It also depends on the game. What is stable in one game might not be stable in another. If your not happy trying the under volt you can always cap your core max boost. As an example I’ve capped mine on world of warships to 2200mhz and still get 100fps.

Associate
Picked up a Nitro+ 7900XT for the wife and got it setup a couple of days ago. Seems very quiet; can't complain, she cannot hear her new rig at all over her headphones, despite the PC sitting on the desk next to her. It's noticeable but reasonable even without headphones, so yeah can't complain, the Nitro+ seems to be completely overbuilt for the 7900XT, which I suppose is no surprise if it's basically the same cooler as the heftier 7900XTX. Could not say the same about the 3080 in her prior rig, those get noticeably hot and louder; albeit they do the job well.

Doing a quick read of the last few pages of this thread, am I right in thinking if I want to give her a slight boost, with no stability issues, the best trick would be to just give the card +15% power, and then let the card do it's own thing; rather than tinkering with the more advanced settings?
If it was my rig, I'd try to extract the most out of the card (with consideration for 24/7 stability, not absolute maximum clocks), but for her, stability is the biggest requirement.
Yeah that’s the easiest way.

Soldato
Thought I'd post in here rather than start a new thread. Looking cash in some crypto I made from mining on my old GTX1080 to replace it with a 7900XTX in the near future. It will eventually get water cooled as I already have a custom loop. Is there a best card to buy for water cooling, or pretty much any card with a reference board and good warranty?

Soldato
Appreciated. All about easy and stable wins as I won't be able to monitor it closely whilst in use, and wouldn't want her to have to deal with instability.
Upping the power limit, without any other tweaks, seems to yield 2-5% performance improvement, game dependent. Can't complain really, it's still super quiet really. Getting around 25K Time Spy result. Big difference from the old system, a surprisingly big jump.

Last edited:
Associate
Upping the power limit, without any other tweaks, seems to yield 2-5% performance improvement, game dependent. Can't complain really, it's still super quiet really. Getting around 25K Time Spy result. Big difference from the old system, a surprisingly big jump.
Not bad as you can get 27K on timespy overclocked pulling 350w so that’s not too bad a performance hit with that power saving.

Soldato
Well I'm back on team red after over 7 year service from my GTX1080, previously having a 280X SLI setup. Got the XFX 7900XTX Merc 310 Black. Quite impressed with the card so far, it is huge though! Had to make some temporary mods to my watercooling to make the stock cooler fit, until I get a block for the card. The block I want is the Alphacool Core, but that's currently out of stock everywhere annoyingly.

Coming from the 1080, the difference in performance is absolutely astonishing! Playing FS2020 in 4K ultra smoothly is amazing after coming from having to run it at 1440p medium. Looking forward to getting the water block on it now but the stock cooler is doing a pretty stellar job.

qOYKbkt.jpg

eBIUdhb.jpg

J2UZ9NB.jpg

Associate
I recently bought the Sapphire 7900 XT Pulse from OCUK. I've completed my build in a Antec Performance 1 FT case and have been playing many games, the card has been fantastic. It's totally met my expectations.

This is the first Radeon card I've bought since the ATI days of old. I'm coming from a GeForce 970 (won't be screwed on VRAM again :D), i generally wait until i get at least 4/5 times the performance before buying a new GPU, so this 7900 XT will last me a wee while.

Overall, I'm super impressed with the Radeon 7900 XT. Plus i got it for a good price too (under £700).

Last edited:
Associate
Well I'm back on team red after over 7 year service from my GTX1080, previously having a 280X SLI setup. Got the XFX 7900XTX Merc 310 Black. Quite impressed with the card so far, it is huge though! Had to make some temporary mods to my watercooling to make the stock cooler fit, until I get a block for the card. The block I want is the Alphacool Core, but that's currently out of stock everywhere annoyingly.

Coming from the 1080, the difference in performance is absolutely astonishing! Playing FS2020 in 4K ultra smoothly is amazing after coming from having to run it at 1440p medium. Looking forward to getting the water block on it now but the stock cooler is doing a pretty stellar job.

qOYKbkt.jpg

eBIUdhb.jpg

J2UZ9NB.jpg
I upgraded my 2080ti to a 7900XTX and I have noticed a huge difference in performance so I can only imagine the increase you are seeing :)

Associate
I recently bought the Sapphire 7900 XT Pulse from OCUK. I've completed my build in a Antec Performance 1 FT case and have been playing many games, the card has been fantastic. It's totally met my expectations.

This is the first Radeon card I've bought since the ATI days of old. I'm coming from a GeForce 970 (won't be screwed on VRAM again :D), i generally wait until i get at least 4/5 times the performance before buying a new GPU, so this 7900 XT will last me a wee while.

Overall, I'm super impressed with the Radeon 7900 XT. Plus i got it for a good price too (under £700).

Wow, now THAT'S an upgrade!

Soldato

Fair play being able to leave an upgrade that long. I had a big increase from my 6700k and Nvidia 1080 to my new 7800x3d and 7900xtx it's also my first Amd build and I have no regrets.

Back
Top Bottom