• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
I would wait and see what happens you have not long to wait now. The Sapphire Nitro is the best 7900xtx.
Yeah, patience isn't an issue either, got all the parts for my new build already minus the GPU and new Monitor, I'm not back in the UK until Feb-01 anyways, so it's all just sitting there waiting for me.

Again the Nitro+ is within my budget, but I'm also going for a certain aesthetic, minimum RGB throughout the build (bit here and there but nothing crazy) and a bit of a stealth build, with mainly blacks and some silver/metallic accents.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I've looked at the Sapphire cards, and really the aesthetic of my build fit the Taichi or Red Devil more, I know it's a little style over function, but these cards are all within my budget, I have a friend who is constantly on my case about just stretching to a 4090, but in all honesty I'd rather save the best part of £700 and buy a new OLED 1440p monitor.
I have heard the red devil’s have high hot spot problems. I don’t remember any of the contributors on this board mentioning the tiachi.

Associate
I have heard the red devil’s have high hot spot problems. I don’t remember any of the contributors on this board mentioning the tiachi.
I've done my research on the Taichi, lots of trawling online and YouTube and is always reviewed favorably with good thermals and performance, hence that been my preference..... But for certain I'll keep an eye on prices, I'm just not a big fan of the look of the Nitro+, although I know that should really be an after thought to performance and reliability.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reboot PC check windows update is not doing anything. Download the drivers. Disconnect network.
Run Windows Update Blocker when installing drivers to block any updates, disable it when driver install is finished.

Caporegime
Well the top cards are going to remain expensive in general. I'd guess that the 7900 XTX will probably be sold for around £100 less than the cheapest 4080 Super.
Looks like they're lining up an £899 'promotion' on the XTX soon, possibly not enough imo but high-end buyers might respond.

Associate
Small update, got the Kryosheet fitted yesterday and system all build back up. Big improvement on hostpot temps. Previously over 102ºC, now down to a maximum of 85ºC, and hovers around 78-82ºC in Timespy Extreme. Big improvement, still not as low as I'd like, but in a much safer zone now I feel. However since then I have learnt that I have placed two of the thermal pads on the backplate in the incorrect position, which I am told leads to excessive pressure on the PCB and reducdes pressure towards the waterblock. So I'm going to order some new 3mm thermal pads and rectify that, which will hopefully net some further improvements.

Aside from the thermal pad issues above, the block mounting seemed to be absolutely fine as far as I could tell. Hopefully once I sort the thermal pads it will help the hotspot temps even more.

Ooft that sucks. I'd be beside myself if I killed my card! This Kryosheet thermal pad is conductive too. I put kapton tape around the SMDs though.

That's rough :( I was pretty disheartened when I learned of so many people having issues with this block. I would have gone EKWB if they made a block for this card but sadly they do not. In hindsight I probably should have bought a card that EKWB did make a block for. The other option for me is a Bykski block which I can find little to no feedback on. The Alphacool support doesn't seem particularly outstanding. They had someone send in their card and they tested it themselves, apparently couldn't find fault with it. But the screenshot they posted was a test in Furmark which does not produce the highest temperatures for some reason.

I spead the thermal paste as per the instructions.

Like I said above, I am much happier now that the hotspot is a lot lower than what it was, the Kryosheet has worked wonders in that respect. So even if there's no further improvement, it's temps I can live with.
My Bykski block is about to fly out of china. Should be in the door by next weekend. Just to give an idea on hotspot temp. My 7900XTX MBA peaked at 88c in a 20 loop Timespy stress test. Stock settings so worst case scenario.

Soldato
@andy_mk3
Any update on how the not so cool Alphacool block is going?

Yeah, I stripped it back down, got some new thermal pads fitted for the backplate in the correct location. It’s bought down the hotspot some more now. Not got the screenshot to hand but after Time Spy Extreme the core temp was a max of 48°C and the hotspot peaked at about 80°C, although it was more towards mid-70’s on average.

Not really done much gaming on it yet, that’s for tonight. I’m not thrilled but much happier about the situation than when it was originally touching 110°C. Just going to live with it at this point.

Next time I’ll be making sure to buy a card that EKWB makes a block for.

Associate
Yeah, I stripped it back down, got some new thermal pads fitted for the backplate in the correct location. It’s bought down the hotspot some more now. Not got the screenshot to hand but after Time Spy Extreme the core temp was a max of 48°C and the hotspot peaked at about 80°C, although it was more towards mid-70’s on average.

Not really done much gaming on it yet, that’s for tonight. I’m not thrilled but much happier about the situation than when it was originally touching 110°C. Just going to live with it at this point.

Next time I’ll be making sure to buy a card that EKWB makes a block for.
My block is due tomorrow, Evri have lost a parcel with thermal pads in. So I can't block my Sapphire MBA until I get some pads as I always do the rear of the card too. Which XFX card do you have? XFX RX 7900XTX Speedster MERC 310? If so you can get a Bykski block for it.
Just one other thing what pump speed and pump are you running as that really does make a difference to temps.

Soldato
I can get a consistent 40 FPS (locked) in Warhammer 3 @ 4K + Ultra Preset with a RX 7900 XT in the campaign benchmark. Gameplay still feels relatively smooth.

The game does much better with a locked framerate generally, as the framerate becomes erratic as the GPU usage approaches 100% in this game.

Seems like I'll need a GPU that is ~50% more powerful in the future, to get a solid 60 FPS at 4K in this game / similarly demanding games.

Reviews show that the RTX 4090 can handle the game pretty well at 4K, so hopefully AMD will release a GPU that performs about as well, without consuming huge amounts of power...

Or, AMD can try to improve their driver based frame generation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom