• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
Do you know if that was a design flaw or just a defect with the block you had?

In this instance I'm going to stick with bad mount because I have good temps with my Alphacool block. Unless there is a defect with the block. Getting a good mount can be a little harder with the 7900 cards due the chiplet design
The block had a design flaw. The component it crushed can vary in height depending on production run.

Associate
Bought a 7900XT today, arriving tomorrow, ok probably not the best time to do it but the itch was there.

Any good hints or tips without going through the whole thread?
Reboot PC check windows update is not doing anything. Download the drivers. Disconnect network. Uninstall old card drivers. Shutdown pc. Install new card. Power on install AMD drivers enable network. You have 14 days to test without problems with returns. Give the card a good test with defaults.

Soldato
I noticed a RX 7900 XT (ASRock) for ~£675 today.

Not on a retail website.

But, shows you what they might sell for soon...

No doubt in anticipation of the 4070 TI Super release.

So, don't be sad about the Super cards, competition is good :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Small update, got the Kryosheet fitted yesterday and system all build back up. Big improvement on hostpot temps. Previously over 102ºC, now down to a maximum of 85ºC, and hovers around 78-82ºC in Timespy Extreme. Big improvement, still not as low as I'd like, but in a much safer zone now I feel. However since then I have learnt that I have placed two of the thermal pads on the backplate in the incorrect position, which I am told leads to excessive pressure on the PCB and reducdes pressure towards the waterblock. So I'm going to order some new 3mm thermal pads and rectify that, which will hopefully net some further improvements.

I'd check the block mounting. I've got an Alphacool block on my 7900XT and the hot spot is normally 20 - 25c above the core temp. Hotspot is normally around 65 to 70c

Aside from the thermal pad issues above, the block mounting seemed to be absolutely fine as far as I could tell. Hopefully once I sort the thermal pads it will help the hotspot temps even more.

I had one, it had the Tim replaced with Liquid Metal. I went to remove the cooling block to install a water block and the Liquid Metal’s come into contact with the SMD and stuffed it. So now need a whole new graphics card.

So don’t use Liquid Metal!!!! But otherwise, before it was an awesome card, very pleased and will replace with another one for sure.

Ooft that sucks. I'd be beside myself if I killed my card! This Kryosheet thermal pad is conductive too. I put kapton tape around the SMDs though.

I had a very very bad experience with an Alphacool block on a radeon VII. They'll be a few members in this owners group that will remember it well i'm sure. The very same issue and it was caused by a design flaw, one of the components was higher on the PCB so the standoff on the block crushed the corner of it! Alphacool at the time offered to replace my card. I returned the block and went EKWB at the time.
One question, did you fully cover the chip in paste or just lines/ dots?

That's rough :( I was pretty disheartened when I learned of so many people having issues with this block. I would have gone EKWB if they made a block for this card but sadly they do not. In hindsight I probably should have bought a card that EKWB did make a block for. The other option for me is a Bykski block which I can find little to no feedback on. The Alphacool support doesn't seem particularly outstanding. They had someone send in their card and they tested it themselves, apparently couldn't find fault with it. But the screenshot they posted was a test in Furmark which does not produce the highest temperatures for some reason.

I spead the thermal paste as per the instructions.

Like I said above, I am much happier now that the hotspot is a lot lower than what it was, the Kryosheet has worked wonders in that respect. So even if there's no further improvement, it's temps I can live with.

Last edited:
Soldato
I noticed a RX 7900 XT (ASRock) for ~£675 today.

Not on a retail website.

But, shows you what they might sell for soon...

No doubt in anticipation of the 4070 TI Super release.

So, don't be sad about the Super cards, competition is good :)
7900xtx around £800 is perfect IMO. Black friday we got just under £800 but only with cashback.

Associate
I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a 7900XTX, ASRock Taichi would be my first choice, followed by the Powercolor Red Devil, I'm reading on here and in blogs that the 7900XT is already getting promotional price cuts in other markets, do you think the 7900XTX will follow suit and is it worth me sitting on the fence and waiting for the 4080 Super drop on Jan-31 to see how prices react? - Key thing I'm worried about is the Taichi card seems to be pretty scarce in the UK market, with pretty much only OCUK stocking it and offering it for sale right now.

Just to note, I was debating a switch to the 4080 Super, but I'm not really sure if I'd get the max out of it, I'll play a mix of multiplayer / single player games at 1440p, I'll be looking for decent enough consistent FPS and not really bothered about having the top tier RT switched on at the cost of smoothness and FPS.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a 7900XTX, ASRock Taichi would be my first choice, followed by the Powercolor Red Devil, I'm reading on here and in blogs that the 7900XT is already getting promotional price cuts in other markets, do you think the 7900XTX will follow suit and is it worth me sitting on the fence and waiting for the 4080 Super drop on Jan-31 to see how prices react? - Key thing I'm worried about is the Taichi card seems to be pretty scarce in the UK market, with pretty much only OCUK stocking it and offering it for sale right now.

I still think the pulse is the smart buy if you don’t mind not having the bling.

Associate
I would wait and see what happens you have not long to wait now. The Sapphire Nitro is the best 7900xtx.

Associate
I still think the pulse is the smart buy if you don’t mind not having the bling.
Yeah I've looked at the Sapphire cards, and really the aesthetic of my build fit the Taichi or Red Devil more, I know it's a little style over function, but these cards are all within my budget, I have a friend who is constantly on my case about just stretching to a 4090, but in all honesty I'd rather save the best part of £700 and buy a new OLED 1440p monitor.

Back
Top Bottom