• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Soldato
I went from a GTX1080 to a 7900XTX and it's pretty amazing. I have a 1440p144 monitor but I also use a 4k60 TV, and I can play flightsim on ultra settings at 4k and it looks incredible. No regrets at all.
Do you think it's worth waiting a month to see if the new nVidia super line up will alter prices?

Soldato
A bit over a week ago I got my 7900XTX stripped down and fitted an Alphacool water block. Very pleased with how it all looks now, image isn't quite the finished product, leds are all on default lighting as software wasn't running, and was still leak checking at the time.

Bjjnq0i.jpg

However I have been having issues with very high hotspot temps. In certain loads I've seen it hit over 100ºC while the average core temp is ~50ºC. After some searching, soom found that a lot of people are having this issue on the XFX Merc 310 and the Alphacool water blocks. And the cure is to run a Kryosheet instead of thermal paste. So I have one of those coming tomorrow, and this evening I have drained the loop, stripped the card back down and cleaned it all up. I really hope this at least improves things!

oHgHYYI.jpg

I'll hopefully be back tomorrow with an update and a screenshot of nice low temps :D

Last edited:
Associate
Do you think it's worth waiting a month to see if the new nVidia super line up will alter prices?

Soldato
However I have been having issues with very high hotspot temps. In certain loads I've seen it hit over 100ºC while the average core temp is ~50ºC. After some searching, soom found that a lot of people are having this issue on the XFX Merc 310 and the Alphacool water blocks. And the cure is to run a Kryosheet instead of thermal paste. So I have one of those coming tomorrow, and this evening I have drained the loop, stripped the card back down and cleaned it all up. I really hope this at least improves things!

oHgHYYI.jpg

I'll hopefully be back tomorrow with an update and a screenshot of nice low temps :D

I'd check the block mounting. I've got an Alphacool block on my 7900XT and the hot spot is normally 20 - 25c above the core temp. Hotspot is normally around 65 to 70c

Last edited:
Associate
I had one, it had the Tim replaced with Liquid Metal. I went to remove the cooling block to install a water block and the Liquid Metal’s come into contact with the SMD and stuffed it. So now need a whole new graphics card.

So don’t use Liquid Metal!!!! But otherwise, before it was an awesome card, very pleased and will replace with another one for sure.

Soldato
I had one, it had the Tim replaced with Liquid Metal. I went to remove the cooling block to install a water block and the Liquid Metal’s come into contact with the SMD and stuffed it. So now need a whole new graphics card.

So don’t use Liquid Metal!!!! But otherwise, before it was an awesome card, very pleased and will replace with another one for sure.

Or put clear nail polish on the SMDs to protect them like your supposed to do when using liquid metal

Caporegime
Associate
A bit over a week ago I got my 7900XTX stripped down and fitted an Alphacool water block. Very pleased with how it all looks now, image isn't quite the finished product, leds are all on default lighting as software wasn't running, and was still leak checking at the time.

I had a very very bad experience with an Alphacool block on a radeon VII. They'll be a few members in this owners group that will remember it well i'm sure. The very same issue and it was caused by a design flaw, one of the components was higher on the PCB so the standoff on the block crushed the corner of it! Alphacool at the time offered to replace my card. I returned the block and went EKWB at the time.
One question, did you fully cover the chip in paste or just lines/ dots?

Soldato
I had a very very bad experience with an Alphacool block on a radeon VII. They'll be a few members in this owners group that will remember it well i'm sure. The very same issue and it was caused by a design flaw, one of the components was higher on the PCB so the standoff on the block crushed the corner of it! Alphacool at the time offered to replace my card. I returned the block and went EKWB at the time.
One question, did you fully cover the chip in paste or just lines/ dots?
Do you know if that was a design flaw or just a defect with the block you had?

In this instance I'm going to stick with bad mount because I have good temps with my Alphacool block. Unless there is a defect with the block. Getting a good mount can be a little harder with the 7900 cards due the chiplet design

Associate
Or put clear nail polish on the SMDs to protect them like your supposed to do when using liquid metal
Exactly, that is what I expected to see when I took the cooler off. Nice clean finish, protected with nail polish. So a quick wipe down and ready to go with the water block. But alas no, it hadn’t been done. Alas my own fault for buying a card and relying on someone else to have done the process properly…

Soldato
Exactly, that is what I expected to see when I took the cooler off. Nice clean finish, protected with nail polish. So a quick wipe down and ready to go with the water block. But alas no, it hadn’t been done. Alas my own fault for buying a card and relying on someone else to have done the process properly…
Aah thats unfortunate :(

Back
Top Bottom