• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Not long got off the phone for my MBA RMA. (112c hotspot).
Going back tomorrow for refund.
Anyone in the same boat?.
How long did it take to turnaround?.

It's pot luck on every GPU sadly. I've had 4x 4090s and they all whined. The Nitro XTX has the least of them all, but it still has some. As does every high end GPU.
I'll see what its like - could be fine - my 3080 has been silent but in certain scenarios i can hear a tiny bit. I game with open headphones so as long as its not bothering me whilst doing this thats ok for me. I had the nitro on order but switched to the red devil - hopefully wont regret the decision.

I'll see what its like - could be fine - my 3080 has been silent but in certain scenarios i can hear a tiny bit. I game with open headphones so as long as its not bothering me whilst doing this thats ok for me. I had the nitro on order but switched to the red devil - hopefully wont regret the decision.
Yeah some definitely have it worse than others, but always luck of the draw. :)

Indeed. I still have the receipt for my ATI 9700 Pro I bought from Ocuk on release day (which was a top tier card at the time), back in 2003. Only £276 including VAT + shipping!
£276 was a lot of money back in 2003. For ref a double sausage and egg muffin meal was only £1.99 back in 2003 and I am sure the muffin size was also bigger than today. :cry:

Not long got off the phone for my MBA RMA. (112c hotspot).
Going back tomorrow for refund.
Anyone in the same boat?.
How long did it take to turnaround?.
It took my return 2 days to process, arrived on Thurs and the refund was processed the next day. But my return was unwanted/unopened, in your case might take a bit longer to process if testing is required.

£276 was a lot of money back in 2003. For ref a double sausage and egg muffin meal was only £1.99 back in 2003 and I am sure the muffin size was also bigger than today. :cry:

It took my return 2 days to process, arrived on Thurs and the refund was processed the next day. But my return was unwanted/unopened, in your case might take a bit longer to process if testing is required.
OK, Thanks.
Shouldn't really order the Nitro until the refund is in my bank.
But I'm tempted.

OK, Thanks.
But I'm tempted.
refund was added to my card the following Monday. so the total turnaround time was about 5 days.

I know how you feel, I ordered the Nitro after sending back the XFX AIB but was still looking around for better deals every day. I even added a few retailer's links to Chrome as homepages to save time and luckily beat LtMatt to the Aorus.:D:cry:

Last edited:
OK, Thanks.
But I'm tempted.
Do it, you only live once.
refund was added to my card the following Monday. so the total turnaround time was about 5 days.

I know how you feel, I ordered the Nitro after sending back the XFX AIB but was still looking around for better deals every day. I even added a few retailer's links to Chrome as homepages to save time and luckily beat LtMatt to the Aorus.:D:cry:
Lol. I have direct links to the 7900 XTX UK retailers pages also on my browser bar. Should probably delete them now I've got a Nitro and happy with it. :p

When you say everything at max do you mean you physically went through every image quality option and maxed them out? Or do you mean you choose the extreme quality preset. I ask as the latter is not truly maximum settings.

Are you using the MBA card? If so, try the following:
  1. Set power limit to +15%.
  2. Set fan speed to 100% and disable zero RPM (for the purposes of this test).
  3. Set memory frequency to 2750Mhz with fast timings enabled.
  4. Set core clock to 3000Mhz, leave min frequency at 500Mhz.
  5. Adjust core voltage to 1100mv.
  6. Click Apply.
  7. Navigate to the My Documents > Call of Duty > Players > options.3.cod22 file and open with Notepad. Scroll to the bottom and change RendererWorkerCount:0.0 = "7".
  8. Save and launch the game.
  9. Go through each menu image quality option and max it out. Also enable Fidelity FX Cas too and set that to 100%.
  10. Keep the Radeon Ingame Overlay off for now, it costs a couple of FPS to have it running
  11. Relaunch the game and run the benchmark.
  12. If it crashes put GPU back to stock settings, but max out the power limit, fan speed and rerun the bench and share your results.
I am using a Sapphire Nitro, so my results will always be better than yours as my card has a higher power limit. However, even with my card stock I am getting 45% better performance than you which is a higher difference than I would expect. This climbs to 59% if I overclock my graphics card.

Sapphire Nitro XTX Stock
iJTmdxO.png

Sapphire Nitro XTX Overclocked
ZF0IqmD.png
OK I tried them gpu settings the best I can get is 170fps, my cpu is running stock no OC on it. The only time I csn get 200 fps is if I use the FSR. Is that not still a bit low? I'm going to download time spy and compare the results.

@wookiee87 and @robster - what is the coil whine like on your Red Devil? I had mine delivered to a friend to check out against his 4090 so he can see if wants to switch (cod player) and he said there was a fair bit of coil whine. Has yours subsided over time or is it just pot luck?

i have a very tiny bit tbh (using 22.12.2), but its very good, my MBA is amazing no coil whine at all shame about the cooler though, the new 23.1.1 driver seems to have made my devil sound a lot quieter too which is a massive bonus

It's pot luck on every GPU sadly. I've had 4x 4090s and they all whined. The Nitro XTX has the least of them all, but it still has some. As does every high end GPU.
I never thought that there would be an advantage in having tinnitus. But having endured this for many years I can genuinely say that I have absolutely not heard whine from any of my GPU's.

I never thought that there would be an advantage in having tinnitus. But having endured this for many years I can genuinely say that I have absolutely not heard whine from any of my GPU's.

OK I tried them gpu settings the best I can get is 170fps, my cpu is running stock no OC on it. The only time I csn get 200 fps is if I use the FSR. Is that not still a bit low? I'm going to download time spy and compare the results.
How many power cables have you plugged in to the card, and have you daisy chained them at all? The card needs 3 x seperate cables to the PSU for max performance

I have a little tinnitus as well so will probably be fine :cry:

TBH i had no idea it was a graphically intensive game - last time I played it was 2005 and it was mostly text based
It's not really graphical intensive, however they now have a resolution slider so you can run 8K resolution which helps and puts more load on the GPU. This resolution slider is a new addition to this years game.

The main difference though is you can apply Radeon Image Sharpening and x4 (or x8 but the perf hit is large) Super Sampling via the AMD Control panel (which significantly puts more load on the GPU), but there is no such option for the 4090. Super Sampling when enabled via Nvidia Control Panel does nothing in FM. You can also use Nvidia Image Sharpening, but it a) looks worse and b) sharpens the desktop which is horrible. Nvidia DSR is an option, but it still ouputs a worse image than what is achievable on the AMD card in this specific scenario. DSR can be a bit blurry too.

Last edited:
How many power cables have you plugged in to the card, and have you daisy chained them at all? The card needs 3 x seperate cables to the PSU for max performance
My sapphire only has 2 cables, both separate to the psu. I seen above someone said new drivers are out, must give them a try.

Back
Top Bottom