• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Agree, mine was top notch from a build and quality perspective and no temp issues with hotspot below 90c.

It's a shame that there are some bad batches out there but AMD will replace them or offer a refund for those affected.
I would have 100% held onto mine had it not been for its thermal issues. My new Red Devil is fantastic, but don't think it's £150 more fantastic for 5-6% better performance.

Lol, I probably sound like a lunatic Gerard but before you call the men in white coats let me pitch my defence to you. Caution, wall of text incoming...

Initially I got a 4090 Twin Frozr after it was recommended to me by another owner (@momo56) cc (@jaffveyda :cry: ). This card was mostly fine apart from bad coil whine and being stuck at 450W power limit. The issue I had was that the cards RGB software was unusable. Just didn't work, so had to return it. Second 4090 was a 4090 Suprim X I purchased from @Too Tall and I was happy as its one of the better 4090s. Sadly it had a fault and would overheat reaching 90c just running Timespy once at stock. Too Talll had a second Suprim X andhis only hit 63c, so that went back. Then I ordered the legendary GameRock (a GPU generally only used by legends - excluding @Dicehunter though as he's started using that FG tripe with it :p), this card arrived from a UK retailer who I shall not name (not OcuK) and they sent it out with no packaging, was just the box covered in a thin layer of cardboard. The card worked fine however I noticed the backplate was slightly bent. I assumed it was damaged on route. I opened up an RMA with that retailer and had a nightmare getting my money back as they tried to claim I'd damaged the card. Absolute cheek! Luckily I paid via PayPal and they sided with me as I had pictures of when it arrived etc and proof I'd returned it to them in suitable packaging. That dragged on for weeks btw. In the meantime and quite impressed with the GameRock, I decided to order another one. This one was working fine and a good clocker too, but one of the fans developed a fault and started whining and rattling. It was unbearable. That went back for a RMA and as I'd only had it a week or two I got a refund. In the meantime again I decided well, third times a charm with the ol GameRock and prices had come down a little from over £2K for a 4090 at this point, so I went with another GameRock, this time from OcuK. However after ordering from OcuK, I found another UK retailer (no names mentioned please don't ban me oh holy stairlift don) selling the same card £100 cheaper. I got one from there and sent a web note to OcuK to cancel my order. For some reason 24 hours later OcuK disaptched the fifth 4090 and my mrs took delivery and opened it. She was curious why I had so many 4090s arriving and at 2K a pop who can blame her. :D Thankfully OcuK arranged to come and collect it and back it went unused. So the fourth 4090 was a keeper and all is well till this day. Bar the coil whine they all have, but since all my GPUs have whined I'm not too bothered about that.

Thanks for listening to my humble story and defence of my purchase decisions. Please like and subscribe to my Only Fans.

Cliffs or GTFO :mad:

Maybe the new driver have reducced again power consuption.
When i'm doing absolutly nothing it goes more often to lower consumption. i'm at 25W when doing nothing now.

7900XT MBA is 25 watts with 1 x 4K 120HZ and 85 watts with 2 x 4K 120HZ
i have 1 4K 120Hz (LG OLED C2 42") and 1 1080p 60Hz

So far i'm really happy with my MBA. i don't have the hotspot issue and the Nitro+ is close to 200€ more expensive so not worth the money and extra power consumption for me. And every other good customs are at least 130€ more expensive where i live, again i don't think it's worth it.

Last edited:
Lol, I probably sound like a lunatic Gerard but before you call the men in white coats let me pitch my defence to you. Caution, wall of text incoming...

Initially I got a 4090 Twin Frozr after it was recommended to me by another owner (@momo56) cc (@jaffveyda :cry: ). This card was mostly fine apart from bad coil whine and being stuck at 450W power limit. The issue I had was that the cards RGB software was unusable. Just didn't work, so had to return it. Second 4090 was a 4090 Suprim X I purchased from @Too Tall and I was happy as its one of the better 4090s. Sadly it had a fault and would overheat reaching 90c just running Timespy once at stock. Too Talll had a second Suprim X andhis only hit 63c, so that went back. Then I ordered the legendary GameRock (a GPU generally only used by legends - excluding @Dicehunter though as he's started using that FG tripe with it :p), this card arrived from a UK retailer who I shall not name (not OcuK) and they sent it out with no packaging, was just the box covered in a thin layer of cardboard. The card worked fine however I noticed the backplate was slightly bent. I assumed it was damaged on route. I opened up an RMA with that retailer and had a nightmare getting my money back as they tried to claim I'd damaged the card. Absolute cheek! Luckily I paid via PayPal and they sided with me as I had pictures of when it arrived etc and proof I'd returned it to them in suitable packaging. That dragged on for weeks btw. In the meantime and quite impressed with the GameRock, I decided to order another one. This one was working fine and a good clocker too, but one of the fans developed a fault and started whining and rattling. It was unbearable. That went back for a RMA and as I'd only had it a week or two I got a refund. In the meantime again I decided well, third times a charm with the ol GameRock and prices had come down a little from over £2K for a 4090 at this point, so I went with another GameRock, this time from OcuK. However after ordering from OcuK, I found another UK retailer (no names mentioned please don't ban me oh holy stairlift don) selling the same card £100 cheaper. I got one from there and sent a web note to OcuK to cancel my order. For some reason 24 hours later OcuK disaptched the fifth 4090 and my mrs took delivery and opened it. She was curious why I had so many 4090s arriving and at 2K a pop who can blame her. :D Thankfully OcuK arranged to come and collect it and back it went unused. So the fourth 4090 was a keeper and all is well till this day. Bar the coil whine they all have, but since all my GPUs have whined I'm not too bothered about that.

Thanks for listening to my humble story and defence of my purchase decisions. Please like and subscribe to my Only Fans.
I think the UK retailer with little packaging is the same one I got my Aorus from. My card arrived in a box just big enough to fit the Aorus box. But it is still better than the two motherboards I bought before which only use standard grey mail bags with zero protection. :D:cry:

For bent backplate, I watched a review done by der8auer on 4080 Gamerock and his card is also bent. It is likely QC issue instead of damage in shipping.

I think the UK retailer with little packaging is the same one I got my Aorus from. My card arrived in a box just big enough to fit the Aorus box. But it is still better than the two motherboards I bought before which only use standard grey mail bags with zero protection. :D:cry:

For bent backplate, I watched a review done by der8auer on 4080 Gamerock and his card is also bent. It is likely QC issue instead of damage in shipping.
I got my motherboard last year from a certain rainforest, it arrived with just my postage label stuck to the motherboard box. Complained and got 20% off so wasn't all bad.

Got my 7900xt today, can't wait till kids are in bed to try it out.
Should be a substantial upgrade on my 3060ti, hoping for double performance.
3060ti was really struggling with my lg c2.

I got my motherboard last year from a certain rainforest, it arrived with just my postage label stuck to the motherboard box. Complained and got 20% off so wasn't all bad.

Got my 7900xt today, can't wait till kids are in bed to try it out.
Should be a substantial upgrade on my 3060ti, hoping for double performance.
3060ti was really struggling with my lg c2.
Yes, Rainforest does that sometimes. I prefer at least a mail bag because I sold my 1060 (bought from FR rainforest) two years ago and it took me a long time to remove the shipping label on the box.

Have fun and enjoy the XT card, 3060ti is only just enough for the 2nd pc with 1440p 144hz but atm no plan to upgrade it as that PC is mainly for my nephew to do homework and very little gaming.

I've tried the MBA, Nitro, TUF and the Merc. I rate them in this order:
  1. Nitro
  2. TUF
  3. Merc
  4. MBA
The problem I have with the MBA is that the power limit is low and it can hold back 15-20%+ performance from a tuned AIB 7900 XTX. The problem I had with the Merc is that it was the least attractive of all the cards and by far the loudest. Even at 35% fan speed the fans were too loud for me. The Nitro is the exact opposite to this, silent even at 40% fan speed which is more than enough for the max power limit of the card (with my chassis window off). The TUF has the best overall cooler from a performance point, it is also very quiet. The TUF has a slightly lower power limit than the Merc and Nitro though so loses some points there. The 4090 is the better overall card though vs the 7900 XTX, but it should be with how much extra it costs. The 7900 XTX Nitro is the best AMD card you can get at the moment in my opinion and I'm very happy with mine. :)
Thanks for this, I think I'll wait out for the 4090FE, but if that doesn't pan out for any reason, then the nitro is going to be purchased.

What's a good ASIC for these cards and how do you find out?
HWInfo said my 7900 XT Pulse has an ASIC of 53.7% but I don't know if that's right or if it's any good for a 7900 XT.
It doesn’t mean too much to be honest GM, having a higher stock core clock seems to be a better indicator of silicon quality to me. HWINFO64 is the only app that can read it so far. After testing my 42% Nitro is slightly better than my 46% Nitro.

My 7900XT Nitro arrived, amazing looking card. The RGB header literally came off in my hand as I was plugging it in though, it’s unreal. I am not heavy handed (I only weigh 9 stone!) but the connection to the board was like cheese and snapped straight off. Quality of that part was so bad. The rest of the card looks superb. But now I’m in a bad mood.

Ughhhhhhhh.

Last edited:
My 7900XT Nitro arrived, amazing looking card. The RGB header literally came off in my hand as I was plugging it in though, it’s unreal. I am not heavy handed (I only weigh 9 stone!) but the connection to the board was like cheese and snapped straight off. Quality of that part was so bad. The rest of the card looks superb. But now I’m in a bad mood.

Ughhhhhhhh.

If rare was a seagull.
5vJ9Z2t.gif

Ughhhhhhhh.

the header pins are badly bent. But it looks like a normal 3-pin argb connector, I would try to solder a new connector to see if its work.

the header pins are badly bent. But it looks like a normal 3-pin argb connector, I would try to solder a new connector to see if its work.

Yeah they are bent, the wire is like cheese, no joke.

It’s fine, I really can’t be arsed soldering a new one. I’ve asked OCUK if anything can be done, if not the rest of the card is ok, I will just have to live with it

Am I right in thinking the hotspot issue is just with the XTX, not the XT's? I find it hard to work out what are reference cars and which custom coolers, im assuming this one is refernce/ mba?

and this one

is Sapphire custom cooler, hence why one is £100 more, is that generally the case the cheapest versions are AMD reference and the ones £50 to £100 more are largely because of custom coolers?

cheers

Back
Top Bottom