• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
Updated personal musings on the Nitro…

The Nitro is class gents, I’d highly recommend it if you like AMDs eco system and want the best AMD GPU going. Can’t fault the card in anyway.

My personal sample has the least coil whine of any high end GPU I’ve tested recently. Yes it has some, (anyone who says my high end card has no coil whine at all is lying to you - do not believe them) but it is amongst the quiestest of them all.

The RGB bar is ace, makes a horizontal mount the best look for the card. The Trixxx tool works very well, you can view GPU stats, adjust RGB, enable resolution scaling with Radeon image sharpenin, etc. It just works no silly buggers like other bad RGB software. Note, big shoutout to the Palit/GameRock crew, their RGB software is also top notch.

The card is absolutely silent on BIOS 2, whisper quiet, albeit with a lower power limit Than BIOS1 (default).

@Gibbo, it is going to be criminal if the AIO Toxic ships with the same power limit. It should be at least 500W Vs the 464w seen in the Nitro.
agree with all of this - by far the quiestest card i've owned

played a bit of Riders Republic & Valorant last night and barely pushed 60c with delta of no more than 18c for the hotspot - fans never spun past 1300rpm - super silent

could barely hear any coil whine either, but I haven't put my ear next to the pc as I'm sure its there. Compared to my Nitro 6800xt that had coil whine that screamed at me

Soldato
Always purchased the Nitro series of cards from Sapphire, my 6800 XT hardly any audible coil whine and the fans rarely spin. Planning on replacing the poor thing soon with a 7900 XT Nitro, no compromises. AMD and Sapphire is like the EVGA to NVIDIA, the perfect partner.

Caporegime
Always purchased the Nitro series of cards from Sapphire, my 6800 XT hardly any audible coil whine and the fans rarely spin. Planning on replacing the poor thing soon with a 7900 XT Nitro, no compromises. AMD and Sapphire is like the EVGA to NVIDIA, the perfect partner.
Feel like the Nitro is a step up from
their previous offering tbh this year, and previous offerings have always been good.

Soldato
Feel like the Nitro is a step up from
their previous offering tbh this year, and previous offerings have always been good.

Powercolor has always been good partner Red Dragon Vega 56 was a very good card when I had it, I also have the Red Devil 7900XT in mind as a second option but out of the two, Sapphire.

Associate
I'm still waiting for my Nitro XTX - currently running a Sapphire XT which I have had zero issues with and think its an impressive card. The intention is to sell at a bargain price but I almost feel like keeping for another system!
I don't understand all the hate reviews of the XT, we all know how overpriced GFX cards are so what's the big issue with the RX7900XT hate!

Associate

I am likely to keep the Aorus and save money for a new X3D if it's good, using the OC bios now with a custom fan curve, and setting the fan max speed @ 37%. The card is quiet under load, temp 67c, and hotspot around 85c-90c.

If I take the side panel off the temp will come down by 7c with the hotspot around 15c to 20c higher so I might need to turn up the case fan speed a bit to get the hot air out of the case. The card does have coil whine which is louder in some games if you pay more attention. I had 3090 FE before and that card has a really bad coil whine.

The only issue I have now is I cannot turn off the RGB as GCC is still not updated to support the card. :rolleyes:

Permabanned
No idea why but am really digging ASRock's motherboard theme since owning their 6900 XT Phantom.

Always overlooked them, I think my next build will be all ASRock gear if they perform well.

Last edited:
Associate
Just a quick update with 7900XTX VR performance if anyone is interested?

There was a beta I had to install in order to get the 7900XTX to run the Vive Pro 2 at extreme settings. https://forum.htc.com/topic/14450-vive-pro-2-with-radeon-rx-7900-xt/

I haven't been able to find like a VR FPS benchmark tool yet. But here are some screen shots from what I was able to get.

Lm1lW6.jpg

and this is made me happy.. :D

jpjiAb.jpg

Caporegime

I am likely to keep the Aorus and save money for a new X3D if it's good, using the OC bios now with a custom fan curve, and setting the fan max speed @ 37%. The card is quiet under load, temp 67c, and hotspot around 85c-90c.

If I take the side panel off the temp will come down by 7c with the hotspot around 15c to 20c higher so I might need to turn up the case fan speed a bit to get the hot air out of the case. The card does have coil whine which is louder in some games if you pay more attention. I had 3090 FE before and that card has a really bad coil whine.

The only issue I have now is I cannot turn off the RGB as GCC is still not updated to support the card. :rolleyes:
Decent temps tbf considering the side panel is on. I've not yet put the side panel back on my O11 Dynamic as I prefer having the lower temps. Having that side panel on can easily add up to another 10c in temperatures.

Soldato

What Aorus model is this?

Soldato
I’ve seen a report on the AMD Reddit channel saying that the hotspot temperature may be related to quality of the displayport cable used. A user on there is reporting a repeatable change in temperature depending on which cable used.

Associate
On the coil whine front. Mine does in the doom menus when the fps is at 2000. Apart from that it’s silent.
Coil whine on mine is all over the place. Sounds like a beehive under my desk in some game menus (audible through noise cancelling headphones), moderately annoying when scrolling through certain web pages, and lighter in most games even with lower FPS. It has dissipated a bit since I've used the card, but still very present. It's generally the worst whine I've heard on a component with the exception of an EVGA i680 mobo years ago that ultimately went nuclear.

As a last ditch effort (which I suspected wouldn't work since three other cards I've had in this system run without noise) I've tried putting at FPS limiter as well as swapping my 1000w PSU for another 850w I have lying around (both quality models) -- no joy.

Associate
Coil whine on mine is all over the place. Sounds like a beehive under my desk in some game menus (audible through noise cancelling headphones), moderately annoying when scrolling through certain web pages, and lighter in most games even with lower FPS. It has dissipated a bit since I've used the card, but still very present. It's generally the worst whine I've heard on a component with the exception of an EVGA i680 mobo years ago that ultimately went nuclear.

As a last ditch effort (which I suspected wouldn't work since three other cards I've had in this system run without noise) I've tried putting at FPS limiter as well as swapping my 1000w PSU for another 850w I have lying around (both quality models) -- no joy.
If I were you I would send it back. For the cost of the card it needs to be near perfect. I've got a lot of fans in my case so I dont know if thats masking it a bit. By the way what model do you have.

Associate
If I were you I would send it back. For the cost of the card it needs to be near perfect. I've got a lot of fans in my case so I dont know if thats masking it a bit. By the way what model do you have.
I already have a ticket outstanding for a return since Thursday -- no response yet.

And it's not just coil whine (which I might be able to live with). It never hits boost speeds at stock (stays between 2.3-2.4ghz) and hits 110c junction quickly.

The only way I can get it to even come close to 2.5ghz is by undervolting to 1100 and increasing power limit +5%, but even then it hits junction temp limit after a bit, and then it crashes in games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom