• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
Hello , i m the owner of a powercolor red devil 7900xt. Recently i noticed in 3d mark that while my gpu temp is 70 the hotspot goes at 110 . I m thinking of repasting it, does anyone knows what the size of the thermal pads used for the ram and vrm? cause i may change them too.

The ram modules will be standard size but no idea about the other sizes you will need so I suggest you buy some pads that you can cut to the correct size. I know it is a pain but I did it when I put my waterblock on.

I know this is for the XTX but I think the XT version will use the same thickness pads in each section.

I did put in link to a manual for EK XTX waterblock but not sure it is allowed because it is a competitor. You can find manuals for the XTX version online , not sure if there is a waterblock for XT Red Devil.

Anyway it is mainly 1mm thickness with small amount of 2mm required. 1mm is available on the OCUK store, 2mm is out of stock stock but I would imagine you can double stack it in the required places to get the 2mm required or shop around to find it.
Thermal Pad F 1.0 mm (5 pcs)
Thermal Pad G 1.0 mm (4 pcs)
Thermal Pad G 2.0 mm (1 pc)

IIRC the 2mm was on the front side over the VRMs. I am sure Powercolor already have thermal pads on there so you can reuse if careful when removing the block

When I removed my waterblock , MBA version, it did not have pads on the memory modules and it was using thermal putty of some kind. It stayed in place and I could have replaced the block after repasting the actual gpu and I think it would have been ok contact for the memory modules. If Powercolor have used the same then it may be ok to do so as well , or if they are using actual thermal pads then just reuse them

What I would suggest is carefully removing the cooler and repasting the GPU die. Reattach using the current thermal pads and gunk over the memory modules and VRMs. The hotspot is actually in the gpu so that is the part that is overheating and is most likely due to poor mounting pressure or poor application of thermal paste, nothing to do with the memory pads or VRMs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is anyone running a 7900XT on a 750W PSU, by any chance? I know it might be a bit too tight. PSU calculator with all my components suggests a PSU of 700 - 799 Watts.

I have a Corsair RM750i psu which is rock solid, system in sig, tempted by the 7900XT but don't want to have to replace PSU as well.

Associate
Is anyone running a 7900XT on a 750W PSU, by any chance? I know it might be a bit too tight. PSU calculator with all my components suggests a PSU of 700 - 799 Watts.

I have a Corsair RM750i psu which is rock solid, system in sig, tempted by the 7900XT but don't want to have to replace PSU as well.
I am. I’m on a RM750x. No issues.

Associate

I have 6 system fans, 360mm arctic aio argb, 5800x3d, 2x 750gb rotary hardisks, nvme pci 4- all comfortably coexisting with a mba 7900xt.

Associate
Brilliant, thanks for that. That is good to hear. I think Christmas might be coming early.

Including the aio I have 9 fans! Lol

URWCvb8.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
I caved and ordered the 7900XTX pulse to replace a 5700XT, it'll get donated to the brother in law to replace a 970. Might be a bit overkill for a 5700X but I'll upgrade the CPU/mobo/ram next year.
Check benchmarks before you do at the res you play at, might be just worth popping a 5800X3D in there to last another 2/3 yrs instead :)

Associate
Associate

Yep, running my 7900XT on a BeQuiet 750w PSU with no issues at all.

Soldato

You'll be absolutely fine - I'm running a 7900XTX on a Corsair 750w without issue so the XT will be fine!

Associate

I’ve just installed a 7900xt yesterday on a Phanteks AMP 750w. I had the same concerns but so far after maybe 4 hours straight gaming there’s been no issues at all.

Associate
As above, I’ve just installed a 7900xt yesterday. I’ve been pc gaming & building my own systems for over 20 years but this is the first full on high tier GPU I’ve bought.

I’m absolutely blown away by how good it is! Compared to the 5700xt which has been screaming away next to my head the 7900xt can run everything on 1440p Ultra high and barely seems to break a sweat!

I’m very impressed. It’s easy to get carried away reading reviews and views online and think that these cards aren’t incredible in what they can do and the volumes / temps they can do it.

Back
Top Bottom