• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Soldato
The VII will generally be better but if you want to work it properly it's going to be noisy. It really needs water imo. At this calibre of GPUs though I wouldn't buy it unless you satisfy the following conditions: You want cheap 8K crossfire once DP 1.4 -> HDMI 2.1 adapters come through or you have a watercooled setup already. Or both.

I'll take RTXing Cyberpunk with a 2080 over a VII any day otherwise.

Man of Honour
Thanks. I'm a bit up in the air with GPU's at the moment. I'm building my son a PC and was going to get him a mid range card. But it makes sense to give him my Vega 64 and buy something even better. I really like AMD for several reasons; promoting competition, open source drivers, better Linux support and works in a Hackintosh if I build one (which to be fair is probably not going to happen). But at the higher end it looks like nVidia probably makes more sense for me. Let's see what happens over the next few weeks as it might shake up the market a bit with Navi, Supers and possible price reductions on old stock from both sides. Maybe the 7 will make more sense if the price falls a bit.

Associate
Has anyone had issues with the bios screen not displaying when booting? Since installing my VII, my monitor does not display anything until Windows has loaded. Google hasn't been particularly helpful so far, so just wondering if anyone here has encountered this issue? :confused:

Edit: Sorted. A quick poke around in the bios uncovered the culprit, the primary display was not set to PCI-E, which likely meant that the bios splash screen was being displayed on something other than my Radeon VII! I'm not sure why this happened, as I have used DP for nearly a year without running into this particular problem.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks. I'm a bit up in the air with GPU's at the moment. I'm building my son a PC and was going to get him a mid range card. But it makes sense to give him my Vega 64 and buy something even better. I really like AMD for several reasons; promoting competition, open source drivers, better Linux support and works in a Hackintosh if I build one (which to be fair is probably not going to happen). But at the higher end it looks like nVidia probably makes more sense for me. Let's see what happens over the next few weeks as it might shake up the market a bit with Navi, Supers and possible price reductions on old stock from both sides. Maybe the 7 will make more sense if the price falls a bit.

I have said before the VII is a great card, offering great gaming along with great compute and 16g HBM2 under water cooling its even better.

Associate
Well, I thought I'd sorted my issue out, but upon booting up today my monitor still doesn't fire up until Windows loads. I can only surmise that it has something to do with DP not being recognised during the boot process, but as to why that's suddenly happening.... I'm out of ideas. :(

Soldato
Well, I thought I'd sorted my issue out, but upon booting up today my monitor still doesn't fire up until Windows loads. I can only surmise that it has something to do with DP not being recognised during the boot process, but as to why that's suddenly happening.... I'm out of ideas. :(

I get this with Vega 64 and have done for ages now. Its intermittent though. Some boots are normal and some I don't see a thing until I need to enter my password. I always thought it was something to do with fast boot or csm on my Asus board. Its happened on 4 different bios. USB devices also seem to kick in slower when it happens.

Associate
I get this with Vega 64 and have done for ages now. Its intermittent though. Some boots are normal and some I don't see a thing until I need to enter my password. I always thought it was something to do with fast boot or csm on my Asus board. Its happened on 4 different bios. USB devices also seem to kick in slower when it happens.

The weird thing is that I didn't have this issue with my Vega 56, so I have no idea why it has suddenly started. :confused:

Associate

Check it has the latest bios on the card, when they first came out there was a bios update to solve that issue.

Associate
i've the last asrock bios:

2019-01-19 version 016.004.000.030.011639

but the amd one is newer:

2019-02-11 version 016.004.000.038.011717 and it's the same version of the last sapphire and msi bios.

it's safe to flash on my asrock?

Associate

2019-02-11 version 016.004.000.038.011717 and it's the same version of the last sapphire and msi bios.

That AMD bios is the one my XFX card is running, so you should be fine. As far as I'm aware, all Radeon VII's are identical, regardless of the manufacturer.

Soldato

Id be interested to see how this went for you ? I have the ASRock card too, a link to the bios would be good too so I can compare to the current bios on the card.

As for noise, I dont overclock GPU's, as long as they do what I want them to do perfectly fine at stock, im more than happy with it, this card that I brought off @Illuminist is a brilliant card, at stock its undervolted to 981mv and in gaming although I can hear it in intense games like BF5 in 4K, its not overly noisy, games like Day of infamy and Sandstorm I rarely hear it.

Soldato
The VII will generally be better but if you want to work it properly it's going to be noisy. It really needs water imo. At this calibre of GPUs though I wouldn't buy it unless you satisfy the following conditions: You want cheap 8K crossfire once DP 1.4 -> HDMI 2.1 adapters come through or you have
Id be interested to see how this went for you ? I have the ASRock card too, a link to the bios would be good too so I can compare to the current bios on the card.

As for noise, I dont overclock GPU's, as long as they do what I want them to do perfectly fine at stock, im more than happy with it, this card that I brought off @Illuminist is a brilliant card, at stock its undervolted to 981mv and in gaming although I can hear it in intense games like BF5 in 4K, its not overly noisy, games like Day of infamy and Sandstorm I rarely hear it.
She is a lovely one, very happy to hear you are enjoying it!

Associate

you can check your current bios version using gpuz, but i don't know if you can save a correct bios with that, i think it's better to use something like atiflash to save it.

You can download the last bios from amd web site here

I've just updated the bios, i will check the card...

Soldato
you can check your current bios version using gpuz, but i don't know if you can save a correct bios with that, i think it's better to use something like atiflash to save it.

You can download the last bios from amd web site here

I've just updated the bios, i will check the card...

Thanks, Just compared the bioses, this is exactly the same bios that is on the ASRock website 26/02/19 version 190221 https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Phantom Gaming X Radeon VII 16G/#BIOS

nbdcu0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom