• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Soldato
Will AMD continue to provide fine wine for the Vii, has anyone ever been able to utilize the 16gb ram anywhere, bought this card exclusively for my "Mac" ;). Also love the tinkering with cards! Just hope its not a Fury v2 in terms of driver support.

Considering it was marketed for creators AND gamers I think the driver support will be pretty decent for some time yet.

Also I managed to use 15GB playing Resident Evil 2 at 4K :p
ARSqREm.jpg.png

Man of Honour
Considering it was marketed for creators AND gamers I think the driver support will be pretty decent for some time yet.

Also I managed to use 15GB playing Resident Evil 2 at 4K :p
ARSqREm.jpg.png
Really? Wow I didn't think anything was breaking 8gb. Not a bad FPS for 4K either. If you had less RAM then the framerate would tank.

Associate
If all you do is game, then 5700 XT all the way. The VII is a good card, but it's not a pure gaming card, and is priced accordingly.

I bought mine recently after waiting to see how the navi cards performed, specifically at 4k. Bearing in mind I'd waited to upgrade from a 1070 since i bought my 4k freesync monitor in January, the thought of waiting longer for full fat navi didn't sit well. The nvidia cards just don't play well with my freesync comparable monitor so when navi came along and wasn't as fast at 4k, it was a no brainer.

Despite the rumours flying around about EOl the day I bought it, I'm chuffed as you like with my Vii, from what i can tell i wouldn't have been as chuffed with a 5700xt for what I want it for. Which is 4k gaming.

Horses for courses I suppose

Last edited:
Associate
Well after a week of fun and games, I've got an update on my experience with 2 brands of water blocks!

Settings used for the testing....
1900mhz core 1140mhz HBM @ 1000mv. (my daily)
3D Mark Fire Strike Ultra Stress test. (3 runs to warm up the loop)
22.5C ambient on both days.

Alphacool Eisblock GPX-A Plexi Light AMD Radeon VII - incl. backplate
This was best case as during the week I rebuilt the card twice and it got worse!
MhE37HS.jpg

EK-Vector Radeon VII Graphics Card Water Block - Copper + Plexi
EK-Vector Radeon VII Backplate - Black
hkJPvAa.jpg

Associate
That's a lot bigger difference than I was expecting @Chud_Jenny
It's amazing when the block gets the heat off lol. The issue with the alphacool block is the slit in the centre of the finned area can also flow to the left and right. So there is no pressure going through the slit without massive pump speed to help slightly. Another downfall is having just 4 screws around the die and the pressure is reduced further due to the whole thing clamping via the backplate.

Man of Honour
This morning I tried a VII in my system instead of my V64. I only played Quake Champions and surprisingly my FPS was only a couple higher. I think I've just realised that my CPU is bottlenecking my system now (2560x1600 but CPU is 'only' a 3930k at stock speed). However I did notice it was significantly quieter and a lot smoother so I assume I'm getting better FPS lows.

V64 back in again now.

Associate
This morning I tried a VII in my system instead of my V64. I only played Quake Champions and surprisingly my FPS was only a couple higher. I think I've just realised that my CPU is bottlenecking my system now (2560x1600 but CPU is 'only' a 3930k at stock speed). However I did notice it was significantly quieter and a lot smoother so I assume I'm getting better FPS lows.

V64 back in again now.
Treat yourself to a Ryzen 5 3600, B450 board and 16GB ram and you'll be getting a nice experience with the VII.

Associate
Have had Radeon VII since release, pretty good silicon aswell (1058mv stock voltage), can undervolt to 0.95V stable in everything with stock clocks, however junction temps are still around 100c in gaming if i want to keep my hearing ability (50% fan speed, not going over). Decided to buy Bykski block + i will make "ghetto AIO" from EK MLC 240, i will remove original tubing and replace the tubing, so i can install bykski block to it (EK MLC was on sale in EK Site, only 110 euros, very nice deal). Anyway, my question is, those who have bykski block installed, did you use the stock X-bracket instead of just spring screws? There is mixed opinions of this, some use and some not, to me looks pretty hazardous, since it can squeeze very hard core to the block, don´t want to damage anything (getting block next week), gonna probably try first with the spring screws how junction temps are.

Associate
Have had Radeon VII since release, pretty good silicon aswell (1058mv stock voltage), can undervolt to 0.95V stable in everything with stock clocks, however junction temps are still around 100c in gaming if i want to keep my hearing ability (50% fan speed, not going over). Decided to buy Bykski block + i will make "ghetto AIO" from EK MLC 240, i will remove original tubing and replace the tubing, so i can install bykski block to it (EK MLC was on sale in EK Site, only 110 euros, very nice deal). Anyway, my question is, those who have bykski block installed, did you use the stock X-bracket instead of just spring screws? There is mixed opinions of this, some use and some not, to me looks pretty hazardous, since it can squeeze very hard core to the block, don´t want to damage anything (getting block next week), gonna probably try first with the spring screws how junction temps are.
I changed from the terrible alpha cool block to the ek one. It uses just screws to secure and works fine. One thing to get right is use loads of paste in the die and hbm. Both ek and bykski blocks perform very well, high pump speed can shave a few extra c off too. I ran youngblood today on the latest broken driver as it stops the core over clocking in wattman lol. Hbm clocks are fine though!? So 1h of game play saw 36c peak core and hbm, with a max junction of 56c, (51c most of the time). Stock core 948mv, 1140mhz hbm.

Associate
I changed from the terrible alpha cool block to the ek one. It uses just screws to secure and works fine. One thing to get right is use loads of paste in the die and hbm. Both ek and bykski blocks perform very well, high pump speed can shave a few extra c off too. I ran youngblood today on the latest broken driver as it stops the core over clocking in wattman lol. Hbm clocks are fine though!? So 1h of game play saw 36c peak core and hbm, with a max junction of 56c, (51c most of the time). Stock core 948mv, 1140mhz hbm.

Hmm ok, will try with the screws only first :). I have been using Afterburner for overclocking, works fine. Nice temps :D, its like half better than on stock cooler, shame, its like the best looking air cooler ever..

Back
Top Bottom