• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
I'll post a pic later on but these are my average temps -

Max fan: 49'C and 72'C Junction

Auto fan: 57'C and 76'C Junction

That's running completely stock volts and clocks.

That's pretty darn good, mine hits around 75*C and around 110*C Junction temp at stock with auto fan :o I have 3 140mm fans blowing inward and 1 exhaust in my Fractal Design Define S so it is getting plenty of airflow!

Never tried to lap a heatsink before, not sure if that is more risky than just watercooling it?

Soldato
What did sandpaper and hardware did you use to lap?

I used a metal square, Wet & dry sandpaper, 400 grit, 800 grit, 2000 grit and then as a polish I used 3000 grit, Applied Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, This issue may not affect all R7's but a good portion have this highly uneven cold plate that could've been sorted out at the factory.

That's pretty darn good, mine hits around 75*C and around 110*C Junction temp at stock with auto fan :o I have 3 140mm fans blowing inward and 1 exhaust in my Fractal Design Define S so it is getting plenty of airflow!

Never tried to lap a heatsink before, not sure if that is more risky than just watercooling it?

You're only sanding a little bit of metal on the heat sink so it's not doing anything to the GPU itself but if you can water cool I'd take that route.

Associate
I used a metal square, Wet & dry sandpaper, 400 grit, 800 grit, 2000 grit and then as a polish I used 3000 grit, Applied Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, This issue may not affect all R7's but a good portion have this highly uneven cold plate that could've been sorted out at the factory.

You're only sanding a little bit of metal on the heat sink so it's not doing anything to the GPU itself but if you can water cool I'd take that route.

I was considering watercooling when I swap my 1700X out for a 3700X, but the outlay is quite steep TBH, looking at probably £400+ to cool CPU and GPU.

Might consider lapping the GPU heatsink once I'm happy the card itself has no issues.

Did you notice any improvement in noise with the reduced temps? Must admit it is quite noisy compared with my case/CPU 140mm fans running around 1000rpm.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was considering watercooling when I swap my 1700X out for a 3700X, but the outlay is quite steep TBH, looking at probably £300+ to cool CPU and GPU.

Might consider lapping the GPU heatsink once I'm happy the card itself has no issues.

Did you notice any improvement in noise with the reduced temps? Must admit it is quite noisy compared with my case/CPU 140mm fans running around 1000rpm.

Yes the fan noise went way down, I use a 1:1 curve so it was extremely loud beforehand as from what I can tell it's tied to the junction temp and not the core temp itself but even then it was hitting 110'c due to the very poor contact.

Caporegime

Metal square?

Associate
Got any pics?
Waited til this morning for some better light. Even though its blowing a gale and lashing it down this morning in Cornwall.
7epTeV8.jpg
So just the pipe from the bottom of the 120mm rear rad to go into the rear of the VII block (left port), then VII block (right port) out to top rear 360mm rad. I mock fitted the card in the build so even the twin 8pins are fitted and ready!

Associate
Sent you a message with a link :)

I basically just wrapped the sand paper around it and moved it back and forth, Didn't really put any pressure on as some are quite weighty, Did the same for the 800, 2000 and 3000 grit until it was actually flat and polished.

Link me up too? :) Think I have some wet/dry sandpaper in the garage somewhere.

Associate
This thread is far longer than I thought! What's the TL;DR version for someone who has been out of the hardware loop for a month or two?
In a nut shell:
Driver 19.3.1 is massively better than release drivers. (still work to do as per Vega)
Software programs have been updated GPU-z ect...
The cold plate on the stock coolers doesn't seem to be very flat lol. (talk of lapping, and screw tightening to help)
Alphacool and EKWB blocks have been teased on social media, and i'm in the queue lol. (They need to be listed for sale asap)

Associate
In a nut shell:
Driver 19.3.1 is massively better than release drivers. (still work to do as per Vega)
Software programs have been updated GPU-z ect...
The cold plate on the stock coolers doesn't seem to be very flat lol. (talk of lapping, and screw tightening to help)
Alphacool and EKWB blocks have been teased on social media, and i'm in the queue lol. (They need to be listed for sale asap)

Dont forget the Haribo...

Back
Top Bottom