The reason I love tech

Soldato
So today I was listening to music on my phone. My phone was receiving internet via 4g, 10 times faster then our pathetic home ADSL. My tablet was tethered to my phone. I was using teamviewer to connect to my parents HTPC, and via this I was remotely downloading their favorite (free to view home movies) that had come out last night.
In that moment I sat back and realized just how cool technology is!
What was the last thing you guys did that made you go "wow"?
What was your last "oh god, technology is awesome" moment?

Soldato
OP
That wasnt the discussion here! Theres plenty of things on, for example, bbc iplayer which are free to view but with slower net connections are difficult to stream in decent quality so for sanity's sake it is easier to procure them elsewhere over a longer period of time.

Associate
Every time I turn on the desktop PC.... the sheer complexity of engineering and layers upon layers of software that went into this thing to make every part work together is staggering.

How a bunch of on/off switches can form what you see on the screen is also astounding.

Also my galaxy S2. So much better than nokia "smartphones". God those things were horrible.

Associate
At work on a break and I get a phone call from my wife, who's currantly in Australia, walk out of the break room have a ten min chat. Went back into the break room and every one though I was made of money. Taking a phone call from Australia on my mobile.

Facebook messanger, don't belive all the bad press.

Using my daughter's spotify account on my phone and using the connect option to play Disney's Frozen theme tune on her phone while she was in a English lesson at collage.

Man of Honour
Funny thing is for years and years I was anticipating* the day it would be possible to run a full desktop windows on a ~8" touchscreen device with reasonable hardware backing it up and almost missed the dell venue/toshiba encore, etc. launch which was more than a whimper than a bang yet for me is probably the biggest step forwards in a long time.

* Literally since the days of the 286 or so forwards the pinnacle for me was when tech developed enough to make that possible and when it did arrive it was almost unheralded and most people are indifferent to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Every time I turn on the desktop PC.... the sheer complexity of engineering and layers upon layers of software that went into this thing to make every part work together is staggering.

How a bunch of on/off switches can form what you see on the screen is also astounding.

Also my galaxy S2. So much better than nokia "smartphones". God those things were horrible.

Crazy to think that when Charles Babbage first showed his friends his (entirely mechanical) adding machine they thought it was a magic trick and one guest was found trying to break it open (presumably thinking a dwarf was inside with an abacus).

Wonder what they'd make of a modern computer!

Man of Honour
Crazy to think that when Charles Babbage first showed his friends his (entirely mechanical) adding machine they thought it was a magic trick and one guest was found trying to break it open (presumably thinking a dwarf was inside with an abacus).

Wonder what they'd make of a modern computer!

They'd probably be too busy taking selfies to care about what was inside it.

Soldato
OP
They'd probably be too busy taking selfies to care about what was inside it.

Lol probably!
but yeah my happiest times are still playing my "first love" Dune 2 on my nexus 7. And ofcourse Carmageddon on my phone. But my greatest happiness is always having wikipedia at my fingertips. The cumulative collection of all human kidns knowledge in the palm of my hands... Oh and funny cat pics...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So today I was listening to music on my phone. My phone was receiving internet via 4g, 10 times faster then our pathetic home ADSL. My tablet was tethered to my phone. I was using teamviewer to connect to my parents HTPC, and via this I was remotely downloading their favorite (free to view home movies) that had come out last night.
In that moment I sat back and realized just how cool technology is!
What was the last thing you guys did that made you go "wow"?
What was your last "oh god, technology is awesome" moment?

You think that's cool? My phone SPREADS BUTTER.

10687349_10152481300815345_821570573667487869_o.jpg

Gism0.jpg

Permabanned
He doesn't using his ipad as a cutting board. Omg. It's a revolution in cutting board technology. You can even put a ruler on the ipad that shows you where to cut to maximise the deliciousness of whatever you're cutting.

Back
Top Bottom