The reason I love tech

Soldato
Also I still can't really get my head around how mobile data works, especially LTE. I mean I know the technical side of things etc etc but somehow pulling down 50Mb/s d/load and 20Mb/s upload from a phone while walking on the beach seems like magic :p

Soldato
I actually still get a slight kick out of emailing people from my phone :D

I've had a smartphone for 5 years, but I still remember as a teenager having to boot the PC to check for emails from my Hotmail account. How times have changed!

Soldato
Not that big a deal in comparison but
- controlling Spotify on my PC using my phone, when I could be anywhere in the world.
- connecting my phone via Bluetooth to my car and streaming music or having map directions from my phone via the car's speakers.

Soldato
More than forty years ago we landed on the moon. Now "High Tech" means more convenient music. You'll excuse me if I don't cheer while I wait for my flying car.

They exist but are insanely impractical, and unless you know how to create antigravity when scientist really don't know what even causes it, good luck getting anything better.

Soldato
Tonight when I fired up UE4Rollercoaster on Oculus Rift DK2. Very smooth, great graphics and the first drop made my stomach go into my mouth like a real roller coaster

Its the first time in years I have thought 'wow' so many times when playing games. Alien Isolation and Half Life 2 and Quake being the main games. A totally different experience to the flat boring games on a monitor. Yes, Quake is moons old but feeling like you are inside Necropolis, physically moving your head to look around corners is something else

Also my galaxy S2. So much better than nokia "smartphones". God those things were horrible.

+1 on the Galaxy S2! I've had smartphones as far back as 2005, they were called PDA phones back then. Sony-Ericsson mostly. Granted, these things did impress me, but with the S2 in 2011, there was no turning back :)

Other "wow" moments:

- having my first Windows PC in 1999. Getting online for the first time, discovering manga. Learning how to reformat, modify Windows, shell replacements, Sega Megadrive emulation and so on. Sega Megadrive bit probably wasn't legal, but who cares? :p

- having a chess computer in 1993, but also, being able to play chess on an Android phone in recent years due to the device's compact nature.

- I'm quite obsessed with cameras, so having my first 35mm in 1993 and my first bridge digicam in 2004 were both monumental monents for me.

- Sony Discman in 1995! (it was the present from my parents for doing well in GCSEs).

Soldato
So today I was listening to music on my phone. My phone was receiving internet via 4g, 10 times faster then our pathetic home ADSL. My tablet was tethered to my phone. I was using teamviewer to connect to my parents HTPC, and via this I was remotely downloading their favorite (free to view home movies) that had come out last night.
In that moment I sat back and realized just how cool technology is!
What was the last thing you guys did that made you go "wow"?
What was your last "oh god, technology is awesome" moment?

I get that feeling every once in a while when doing something new, it's great isn't it?

Soldato
I actually still get a slight kick out of emailing people from my phone :D

I've had a smartphone for 5 years, but I still remember as a teenager having to boot the PC to check for emails from my Hotmail account. How times have changed!

I still remember the joy of using email with connecting and disconnecting dial-up. I'd spend ages writing an email to a friend, then press send, and Outlook Express would start the dialler program. I'd hear the phone number dial, followed by a few rings and the other dial-up noises. Once connected at a whopping 28.8 kbps, Outlook Express would then spring to life, sending my lonely email. I'd anxiously wait while the email sent and the progress status changed to 'checking for new messages'. A few seconds later, I'd either be painfully disappointed when no new email was found or elated when it would read 'receiving 1 of 1 email(s)'. Oh, the joys of email with dial-up. :cool: Now I get upset if Gmail hasn't instantly sent an email at the very moment that I press send. :p

Soldato
Not a seismic moment, but when my friend in the RAF was working abroad a couple of years ago, I Facetimed him from my iPad and positioned it to watch the TV so that he could watch the F1 Austin Grand Prix on his iPad in some godforsaken place. Almost certainly breaching a couple of broadcasting and copyright rules, and FaceTime equivalents have been around for years, but it meant a lot to him. It also reminded me of when I worked in Africa in the late 1990s and phoned a mate on my company mobile and he put his phone next to the radio so I could listen to a football match live. There was hell to pay for the subsequent mobile phone bill, so I guess things have moved on a bit :)

Man of Honour
They exist but are insanely impractical, and unless you know how to create antigravity when scientist really don't know what even causes it, good luck getting anything better.

I think you are missing the point: "tech" should be a lot more than just better bread and circuses, and should be judged on better grounds.

Permabanned
Well there is that article on the BBC health section today about the paralysed guy who can walk again. One small step for man. One giant leap for a former cripple.

Caporegime
When did the media/PR companies get people to start saying "tech" ?
I heard it in Dr Who the other week and it makes me cringe. Hearing/reading 'real' people say it is even worse.

If someone in RL asked me 'what's your favorite tech?' i would be on the defensive clench and face my bum to a wall instantly.

Soldato
OP
I think for me it springs from old rts games. The tech tree. Since then I have always said tech :/ tbh people calling all programs 'apps' since smart phones came out really ruffled my feathers the wrong way but you get used to it..

Man of Honour
When did the media/PR companies get people to start saying "tech" ?
I heard it in Dr Who the other week and it makes me cringe. Hearing/reading 'real' people say it is even worse.

If someone in RL asked me 'what's your favorite tech?' i would be on the defensive clench and face my bum to a wall instantly.

Some people just find it hard to say 'ology', probably can't spell it either.

It's a horrible 'word', technology is so much nicer.

Back
Top Bottom