• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Define time? its been 6 years. Why would I expect it to be instant it was always going to take time, I always said it would take time and it has.... it has taken 6 years to reach this point.

I practically agreed with you. A lot of the games in that list with RT added are part of the earlier transition, compromises were made to both raster and RT unless Nvidia pumped money in and even then as you highlighted it crippled performance so it was a compromise in itself. Add stupid GPU prices and it becomes more of a problem for people to get on board with. Not every game makes good use of the RT hardware and devs were still learning and are very much still learning. You can't disagree with that.

We are here now 6 years after turing (4 after ampere) and we have had the first few games that are "RT only" and plenty more to come soon with UE5, we are past the tipping point and running towards RT only with either SW or HW or both. This is were things will start to get interesting as almost all hardware will be compatible so no more doubling up on techniques. I can imagine many people will be eager to see what peformance will be available at the £300 and £500 price points.

What I said yesterday was pretty much similar to your wonderfully obvious prediction.
But because I don't proclaim my undying love for RT (I'd rather wait for it to become worth it ;)) you seem to want to argue trying to bring quotes from 4 years ago or claims from other people into the discussion.

I'm in favour of games like Avatar and Spiderman 2 (these first released on console ) and future games with UE5 that will use both SW and HW lumen/RT.
As I said I was surprised you were not pushing for the devs of Hellblade 2 to add a HW path for RT and instead seem content. I can bet if AMD had any involvement in this you would be all over how they are ruining your life.

With new hardware at the end of the year and possibly new consoles, things will ramp up. But that brings us into 2025? Maybe we can continue the conversation then :cry:

I get that you've ran out of people to argue with but stop projecting your battles with others onto me.

And now I'm off to buy a new keyboard as it's missing every odd keypress :cry:

6 years to reach what point?

- seeing avatar, metro ee, spiderman 2 style of rt only games? Which I said would take a while to happen although I actually expected this to not happen quite as quick tbh.... of course, we may not see another game like this for another year or 2 although as you said, with UE 5 and lumen (of which is getting very quick adoption), technically I suppose these are RT only games too so that list actually is more now that I think of it so in fact, what I and you say to have predicted, is actually perhaps happening quicker than anticipated, I didn't think we would see a real shift until next gen consoles although that is still somewhat true as come them next gen consoles, there will be very little reason to keep supporting out of date tech now

or

- games where raster effects have not got much, if any attention? Well that has been happening for the past 2-3 years already, it's just becoming more evident and more common now

Better graphics crippled performance? What about games with no RT which had awful performance? We need to stop always just assuming RT/PT is the sole cause of lesser performance, yes there is a performance hit but as shown, this depends entirely on the game, some have a huge hit, some have very little hit e.g. RT GI in avatar, the finals and some other titles have very little hit to perf. where as in something else like warhammer, the hit is much larger.

My only problem with AMD sponsored RT titles is examples of resident evil, fc 6 and so on where RT has been obviously held back big time in order to stop their hardware from showing just how weak they are when multiple and higher quality RT is applied. Lumen is a much better alternative to AMDs method of RT application.

Associate
6 years to reach what point?
6 years to essentially reach this point its in the quoted post. Things will move quicker now....
We are here now 6 years after turing (4 after ampere) and we have had the first few games that are "RT only" and plenty more to come soon with UE5, we are past the tipping point and running towards RT only with either SW or HW or both. This is were things will start to get interesting as almost all hardware will be compatible so no more doubling up on techniques. I can imagine many people will be eager to see what peformance will be available at the £300 and £500 price points.

Better graphics crippled performance? What about games with no RT which had awful performance? We need to stop always just assuming RT/PT is the sole cause of lesser performance, yes there is a performance hit but as shown, this depends entirely on the game, some have a huge hit, some have very little hit e.g. RT GI in avatar, the finals and some other titles have very little hit to perf. where as in something else like warhammer, the hit is much larger.
You keep assuming I'm talking about AW2 and cyberpunk.....I imagine if there are other settings not related to RT causing performance issues people will also turn those off? Whats your point?

But you are right and it does depend on the game or dev studio. Like I said in a lot of games RT ended up as a compromise and half baked because devs had to work for raster as well. Or didnt have the time to optimise or re-arange things. It was never a true representation of what could be achieved and you couldnt blame people for leaving it turned off because the results in many cases were underwhelming for the performance hit. So again as the game engines are updated and new hardware gets released in the £300-£500 category more people will be getting on board.

Of course there are also games were raster also suffered so you had poor raster and poorly implemented RT so nobody won.

My only problem with AMD sponsored RT titles is examples of resident evil, fc 6 and so on where RT has been obviously held back big time in order to stop their hardware from showing just how weak they are when multiple and higher quality RT is applied. Lumen is a much better alternative to AMDs method of RT application.
If you think thats all on AMD then that's your opinion so go for it if it makes you happy in life.... I already agreed and started the converation yesterday saying lumen was a better approach.....

Most devs priorities/focus is targeted around consoles and there HW capabilities. Remember the first (non-rerelease)RT only games were AMD sponsored or released on consoles.

Caporegime
6 years to essentially reach this point its in the quoted post. Things will move quicker now....

You keep assuming I'm talking about AW2 and cyberpunk.....I imagine if there are other settings not related to RT causing performance issues people will also turn those off? Whats your point?

But you are right and it does depend on the game or dev studio. Like I said in a lot of games RT ended up as a compromise and half baked because devs had to work for raster as well. Or didnt have the time to optimise or re-arange things. It was never a true representation of what could be achieved and you couldnt blame people for leaving it turned off because the results in many cases were underwhelming for the performance hit. So again as the game engines are updated and new hardware gets released in the £300-£500 category more people will be getting on board.

Of course there are also games were raster also suffered so you had poor raster and poorly implemented RT so nobody won.

If you think thats all on AMD then that's your opinion so go for it if it makes you happy in life.... I already agreed and started the converation yesterday saying lumen was a better approach.....

Most devs priorities/focus is targeted around consoles and there HW capabilities. Remember the first (non-rerelease)RT only games were AMD sponsored or released on consoles.

That if you want better visuals, this is nothing new, you either sacrifice said settings or buy new hardware to run said settings better, this has always been the case regardless of rt.

And this is what I have been saying since the start too, people need to stop looking at "just" the hardware vendors to provide the hardware for cheaper but they need to be pointing the fingers at devs of the engines and games to start doing better jobs with optimising their games better and thankfully, this is starting to happen now as well in a number of areas and not just RT related.

Well it's not exactly hard to see why amd sponsored games are lighter on RT effects compared to nvidia sponsored rt games, this is nothing new when it comes to certain brands weaknesses and strengths. Again, I don't really blame amd as they had no choice with RDNA 2 given how pitiful its rt is, this will obviously change going forward as they improve. Even avatar has its shortcomings in RT (such as lower resolution effects around water reflections) but ultimately, it is still a much better approach to raster.

Associate
Again, I don't really blame amd as they had no choice with RDNA 2 given how pitiful its rt is
This again, so RDNA2 can't do RT. but a 2070s and 3060 you said yesterday can do RT.

Can you name the GPUs from AMD and Nvidia that you think can offer "acceptable" RT performance?

For the record I wouldn't waste my time turning RT on with anything less than a 3080. But then that means in my opinion more than 50% of Ampere GPUs can't to RT either... :cry:

It's interesting you lowered the bar for turing/ampere but not RDNA2

Last edited:
Caporegime
This again, so RDNA2 can't do RT. but a 2070s and 3060 you said yesterday can do RT.

Can you name the GPUs from AMD and Nvidia that you think can offer "acceptable" RT performance?

For the record I wouldn't waste my time turning RT on with anything less than a 3080. But then that means in my opinion more than 50% of Ampere GPUs can't to RT either... :cry:

It's interesting you lowered the bar for turing/ampere but not RDNA2

Obviously it can do RT just not heavier RT as evidenced.... and again, depending on what your ideal fps is, this will vary. Making mountain out of a molehill again? :cry: Turing is also pitiful imo, as shown by benchmarks, it's equivalent to RDNA 2 levels although turning handles heavier RT workloads better than RDNA 2.

As for what I deem acceptable, well again, it depends entirely on your Res and what fps you want. For me, it's got to be at least 3080 level which means for amd, you're talking about a 7900xt/gre. For others who are happy with lower FPS (as in less than 70 FPS or/and gaming at 1080p/1440p), I would say 6800xt and a 3060 offer a good RT experience for them, of course you're may have to sacrifice some settings or/and lower RT settings by a notch if you want better than this but it's still perfectly possible and subjective.

Had amd allowed the Devs to dial up the effects in say FC 6 RT, their GPUs would have been substantially worse in performance than ampere, it's not rocket science this.

Last edited:
Associate
Obviously it can do RT just not heavier RT as evidenced.... and again, depending on what your ideal fps is, this will vary. Making mountain out of a molehill again? :cry: Turing is also pitiful imo, as shown by benchmarks, it's equivalent to RDNA 2 levels although turning handles heavier RT workloads better than RDNA 2.

As for what I deem acceptable, well again, it depends entirely on your Res and what fps you want. For me, it's got to be at least 3080 level which means for amd, you're talking about a 7900xt/gre. For others who are happy with lower FPS (as in less than 70 FPS or/and gaming at 1080p/1440p), I would say 6800xt and a 3060 offer a good RT experience for them, of course you're may have to sacrifice some settings or/and lower RT settings by a notch if you want better than this but it's still perfectly possible and subjective.

Had amd allowed the Devs to dial up the effects in say FC 6 RT, their GPUs would have been substantially worse in performance than ampere, it's not rocket science this.
No mountains or molehills required.
6800xt is RDNA2 and so are consoles, careful with the blanket statements. So now we have RDNA GPUs that can do ray tracing when you dig into it, remember the goal should be to make it accessible to as many as possible so people get behind it.
Also remember what you said earlier not every game with RT is like cyberpunk and AW2 :cry:

I found this post of mine from end of 2022,Amazing what happens over time, seems I'm still a stubborn b****** though :cry:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ks-software-etc-thread.18898329/post-36085777

The partnership is in reference to Avatar. Splinter cell was delayed until end of next year I think and Star Wars was a bit of a let down. I'll add MGS:Snake Eater remake to my list of game I'm looking out for, it should be UE5.
Exactly , its just not worth it.

Yes, still an afterthought and needs to work alongside other methods to accommodate people with lower gpus and consoles. Really you will have to wait until the big publishers start releasing with Unreal engine 5 or have redesigned their own game engines. As you said though your 3080 can already do what will be required from a RT perspective over the next year or so. I don't complain I switch it off if I don't get the fps I want(it's a setting in the game menu after all).

They mentioned the "partnership" in the RDNA3 reveal video. What this actually means or whether this will remain true or not I have no idea. I'm actually more interested in the star wars and splinter cell(remake) games that will be on the new snowdrop engine.But then again it's also possible they will run on an older version.

Caporegime
No mountains or molehills required.
6800xt is RDNA2 and so are consoles, careful with the blanket statements. So now we have RDNA GPUs that can do ray tracing when you dig into it, remember the goal should be to make it accessible to as many as possible so people get behind it.
Also remember what you said earlier not every game with RT is like cyberpunk and AW2 :cry:

I found this post of mine from end of 2022,Amazing what happens over time, seems I'm still a stubborn b****** though :cry:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ks-software-etc-thread.18898329/post-36085777

The partnership is in reference to Avatar. Splinter cell was delayed until end of next year I think and Star Wars was a bit of a let down. I'll add MGS:Snake Eater remake to my list of game I'm looking out for, it should be UE5.

Ok so you agree then that RT is in fact accessible/usable right now for most people then given that we have likes of avatar, metro ee, Spiderman 2 and now ue 5 lumen based games running pretty well on a variety of hardware? This contradicts your earlier point saying about how we don't have the hardware/performance for entry level prices..... My point based on my needs is that rDNA 2 and turing is crap for heavier RT workloads, as evidenced, this is true, for software RT and lighter RT workloads, they are acceptable and worthy though, this does not mean that I deem them worthy for my needs/wants though.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
There's a bunch of multi platform games that have RT on PC but not on PS5, base PS5 very weak trying to do RT, PS5 Pro coming soon will help

Associate
Ok so you agree then that RT is in fact accessible/usable right now for most people then given that we have likes of avatar, metro ee, Spiderman 2 and now ue 5 lumen based games running pretty well on a variety of hardware? This contradicts your earlier point saying about how we don't have the hardware/performance for entry level prices..... My point based on my needs is that rDNA 2 and turing is crap for heavier RT workloads, as evidenced, this is true, for software RT and lighter RT workloads, they are acceptable and worthy though, this does not mean that I deem them worthy for my needs/wants though.
What do you want me to agree with? something I already told you or what? You are swinging around that circle again. You are the one that said RDNA2 couldn't do RT after telling me 2070s and 3060 could.

(If we consider games released before Avatar ) I said I would like to see more performance in the £300-£500 categories on PC, This would cater to earlier RT games that were badly implemented (your big list from earlier) and allow access to some "heavier" RT the likes of AW2 and cyberpunk.
It would also exceed the performance levels of the current and future next gen consoles so you wouldn't get left behind over the next few years.
You are re-arranging my words to try and claim something here as you've lost the plot.

Consoles and 6800xt levels would be the minimum entry point at the moment, But we've already discussed games like Avatar and Spiderman 2 and future UE5 games will likely still cater this this minimum spec and these games will be better optimized for the reasons we already discussed.

I suggest you gather your thoughts and stop replying to me.

Caporegime
What do you want me to agree with? something I already told you or what? You are swinging around that circle again. You are the one that said RDNA2 couldn't do RT after telling me 2070s and 3060 could.

(If we consider games released before Avatar ) I said I would like to see more performance in the £300-£500 categories on PC, This would cater to earlier RT games that were badly implemented (your big list from earlier) and allow access to some "heavier" RT the likes of AW2 and cyberpunk.
It would also exceed the performance levels of the current and future next gen consoles so you wouldn't get left behind over the next few years.
You are re-arranging my words to try and claim something here as you've lost the plot.

Consoles and 6800xt levels would be the minimum entry point at the moment, But we've already discussed games like Avatar and Spiderman 2 and future UE5 games will likely still cater this this minimum spec and these games will be better optimized for the reasons we already discussed.

I suggest you gather your thoughts and stop replying to me.

So then this basically confirms what I've said, you're just arguing for the sake of it and making a mountain out of a molehill for the sake of it?

You have been banging on about how RT is not suitable for xyz years because you need ££££ hardware to enjoy it, meanwhile as you have also said yourself, we are now in the phase were things are very heavily into RT side more than raster side now with things like UE 5 lumen, avatar, metro ee, spiderman 2 kind of games which run fantastically well on a whole range of hardware....

Show me where I said RDNA 2 couldn't do RT, this is a factually incorrect statement because it "can do it", just for my needs/wants, it does it pitifully, this is not wrong based on what I value and as shown by evidence, others are happy with lesser fps, res etc. therefore for them, RT is accessible and acceptable on rdna 2, turing and this is evidenced with the listed titles.

Not see the hole you have dug yourself into now? :cry: So yes please gather your thoughts and work out exactly what point you are trying to make here other than just being awkard for the sake of it as I'm not really following what you're trying to get at now.

Associate
So then this basically confirms what I've said, you're just arguing for the sake of it and making a mountain out of a molehill for the sake of it?

You have been banging on about how RT is not suitable for xyz years because you need ££££ hardware to enjoy it, meanwhile as you have also said yourself, we are now in the phase were things are very heavily into RT side more than raster side now with things like UE 5 lumen, avatar, metro ee, spiderman 2 kind of games which run fantastically well on a whole range of hardware....

Show me where I said RDNA 2 couldn't do RT, this is a factually incorrect statement because it "can do it", just for my needs/wants, it does it pitifully, this is not wrong based on what I value and as shown by evidence, others are happy with lesser fps, res etc. therefore for them, RT is accessible and acceptable on rdna 2, turing and this is evidenced with the listed titles.

Not see the hole you have dug yourself into now? :cry: So yes please gather your thoughts and work out exactly what point you are trying to make here other than just being awkard for the sake of it as I'm not really following what you're trying to get at now.
I told you to stop until you could process the conversation, re-read my posts. All the information you require is in my previous posts. You are disagreeing with me and then trying to get me to agree with what I've already said.

I told you 2 years ago to wait until games with UE5 were released before we could see what RT would actually be like and what hardware would be required, you disagreed back then and now you are claiming this as you wonderful prediction. :cry:

Go outside and catch some rays.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I told you to stop until you could process the conversation, re-read my posts. All the information you require is in my previous posts. You are disagreeing with me and then trying to get me to agree with what I've already said.

I told you 2 years ago to wait until games with UE5 were released before we could see what RT would actually be like and what hardware would be required, you disagreed back then and now you are claiming this as you wonderful prediction. :cry:

Go outside and catch some rays.

So again, this:

But instead you're trying to somehow almost make out like my points are insinuating something else entirely even though it's right there in black and white....

Great to read you agree with my points now though, glad we finally got there in the end :) Long live the RT master race.

• Love
Associate
So again, this:

But instead you're trying to somehow almost make out like my points are insinuating something else entirely even though it's right there in black and white....

Great to read you agree with my points now though, glad we finally got there in the end :) Long live the RT master race.
You keep saying this.... that's the 3rd/maybe 4th reference to your mountain and molehill but you just can't let it go.:cry:

I'm not insinuating anything, you've lost track of what you were talking about.

But you are right I agree with what I posted 2 years and what I posted yesterday and what I posted again today.
So who got where in the end? ;)

I'm looking forward to more UE5 games and games like Avatar and Spiderman 2. Same as I was 2 years ago :cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime
You keep saying this.... that's the 3rd/maybe 4th reference to your mountain and molehill but you just can't let it go.:cry:

I'm not insinuating anything, you've lost track of what you were talking about.

But you are right I agree with what I posted 2 years and what I posted yesterday and what I posted again today.
So who got where in the end? ;)

I'm looking forward to more UE5 games and games like Avatar and Spiderman 2. Same as I was 2 years ago :cry:

Because it's extremely obvious you are trying to argue for the sake of it..... Remember what your op was and what my op which you quoted were? You're the one who has gone on this same rant again about this accessibility etc. stuff only to end up basically agreeing with what I have said all along AGAIN :cry:

Associate
Because it's extremely obvious you are trying to argue for the sake of it..... Remember what your op was and what my op which you quoted were? You're the one who has gone on this same rant again about this accessibility etc. stuff only to end up basically agreeing with what I have said all along AGAIN :cry:
You can go back and read them if you want and try follow along again(But my actual recommendation is for you to go get some fresh air). The last few posts have just been you trying to seek some kind of validation based I what I told you 2 years ago.

I told you stop replying to me a while back as well but are still going.;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
@mrk I'm not denying how RT works, i know how it works and i can point to plenty of stuff in your Cyberpunk screen shots that do not follow this logic. Its been unnaturally prettied up, a lot. and its amazing work, IMO :)

I know Unreal Engine quite well and i need to tell you something about Lumen.

Its the same thing that Crytek call Total Illumination which is in Crysis 3. We all think its awesome and new because.... every "influencer" be like: uh and ah marketing. I don't deny UE5 is great, it is and i'm a huge fanboy of it all, i think Nanite is far more important than ###### Lumen, seen it and played with it a decade ago, back when Unreal Engine were still using baked lighting and you had to bake that lighting for many hours whenever you wanted to see your lighting artistry results. Welcome to 2011 Epic Games :D

pay particular attention to the box in the foreground.

You're looking at GI in that ^^^ but reflections work in the same way, its screen space, its a form of RT, software RT. Its been around for a long time now, i think it first appeared in Farcy 3 and Dirt Showdown, the dynamic reflections in the car paint, then Crysis 3, something AMD was working on a t the time, its still in their developer SDK's, along with a lot of other stuff.

PS: visually Crysis 3 still holds up today, the reason is..... the lighting.

I stand by what i said. If we are not careful the radio button monkey is coming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom