• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is with the "RTX" label is that sometimes it can only infer to dlss and not ray tracing.
Well, the video description does say "Watch this exclusive video showcasing the beauty of A Plague Tale: Requiem with AI-powered NVIDIA DLSS and stunning ray traced effects."

Still, these videos are often edited and colour-graded by people other than the developers, and at the whims of the publisher to ensure they 'pop'. Also, what's planned (or even previewed) isn't always what we end up getting. Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer to see.

Jesus, a 4080 recommended to play Portal @ 4K. That’s progress!

Yea and they need to generate frames to do so with DLSS 3. So that would tell me the 4080 is only getting around 30fps as DLSS 3 gives 100% improvement to fps. So if what others are saying is true your inputs will feel like 30fps. Bring on the 5090 in 2 years.

Last edited:
Yea and they need to generate frames to do so with DLSS 3. So that would tell me the 4080 is only getting around 30fps as DLSS 3 gives 100% improvement to fps. So if what others are saying is true your inputs will feel like 30fps. Bring on the 5090 in 2 years.
That's not gonna feel great with a mouse and keyboard :eek:

Are you for real still on a Vega 64 bud? You plan on upgrading to a AMD 7000 series GPU next month or waiting another two years for a RTX 5000 series so you can play Portal without fake frames? :p

Last edited:
Are you for real still on a Vega 64 bud? You plan on upgrading to a AMD 7000 series GPU next month or waiting another two years for a RTX 5000 series so you can play Portal without fake frames? :p

I will be buying soon after release but i don't really play many games where Vega is a problem. In most of the games i play on PC at 1440p Vega 64 still does the business ie War Thunder and Rocket League. I do play F122, Forza Horizon 5 and sometimes Cod so that's what a new card would be for but 90% of the time i am playing WT/RL. For single story games i use the Ps5 as the best games imo for sp are Sony only games. Yea they may come to PC later but i have long since completed them. I buy when i actually need hardware not just for the sake of it.

I won't be playing Portal ever though as it was crap to me back then and the same game improved a little will be crap to me now.

I did update my sig for you as recently bought a 5800x (replaced 2700x) for £140 from a mate and a Samsung 980pro 1tb M.2. (Joined my 960pro 512mb) when they were going cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Jesus, a 4080 recommended to play Portal @ 4K. That’s progress!

wKKwY5g.jpg

SPOILER]

Last edited:
I do think it's kind of wild that we've come so far with what's achievable with rasterization in terms of performance and visual fidelity, and now we're almost going backwards in the rush to embrace real-time raytracing. Asobo's Plague Tale: Requiem is visually breathtaking and (currently) features no RT whatsoever. I don't think Asobo are particularly great at optimizing their engine, but the artistry is phenomenal. When we're already capable of creating incredibly beautiful games like Forza Horizon 5 (that can effortlessly render hundreds of fps on AMD or Nvidia hardware), throwing away all of that performance in chasing ever more realistic lighting and materials seems like an dreadful waste.

I guess that's just the nature of technological progress and the drive on the part of creatives to create something 'real' - when I used to work in CG visual FX in the 90's we had access to many ray-traced features (shadows, reflections, refraction) but we never used them because they were too damn slow to render. Instead we used shadow and reflection maps and every trick in the book to create realistic looking scenes without the render cost of doing it 'accurately' - of course, as time went on, CPUs got more powerful but our render times never went down because with more powerful hardware we started to use global illumination, ray-traced area lights etc.

Funny (and I guess, predictable) how real-time 3D seems to be following the same path :)

The studio behind Metro series has stated that RT (the hybrid RT version they have), helps them decrease the time to create a scene and is much easier and faster to change something. In this case is the total opposite of rasterization where you have to spend a lot of time doing what RT does naturally and quick. Plus rasterization also "locks" objects, after all, you can't have a free moving/interactable object if you prerendered a shadow for it. :)

With that said, yes, rasterization has come a long way indeed. But look at Doom how it looked in 1992 and how it looks almost 30 years later. Same will be with RT.

Well, the video description does say "Watch this exclusive video showcasing the beauty of A Plague Tale: Requiem with AI-powered NVIDIA DLSS and stunning ray traced effects."

Still, these videos are often edited and colour-graded by people other than the developers, and at the whims of the publisher to ensure they 'pop'. Also, what's planned (or even previewed) isn't always what we end up getting. Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer to see.

vs

For CB 20077, as an example with a particular scene, the RT version has a yellow tint (alongside better lighting which puts in a better light the assets), most likely, due to being a better GI solution, it captures better the colors of the environment as light bounces around. Kinda "pops" by itself. :)

I'm thoroughly looking forward to it, portal games my all time favourite and not played the first one in a long time :cool: Can't wait for half life with the RT treatment too.

Warhammer darktide later tonight too and then Callisto protocol on Friday (although probably limited RT being amd sponsored) and Witcher 3 among a few other titles with RT before the end of the year, that and still need to finish miles morale.

A great time to be a RT gamer and thoroughly looking forward to next year to see RT adoption rate and how it evolves given 2022 has been a killer year for it :D

Last edited:
The studio behind Metro series has stated that RT (the hybrid RT version they have), helps them decrease the time to create a scene and is much easier and faster to change something. In this case is the total opposite of rasterization where you have to spend a lot of time doing what RT does naturally and quick. Plus rasterization also "locks" objects, after all, you can't have a free moving/interactable object if you prerendered a shadow for it. :)
Oh, I've no doubt it's a real boon to the artists - it certainly was to me when iterative renderers started to appear in the VFX space in the early 2000's. You're both right and wrong though - GI solutions (formerly rendered, likely now real-time) are commonly baked into lightmaps in modern rasterized games - the biggest change there for devs is the immediacy of the results with RT-capable hardware. Of course, baked solutions will never be as accurate as physically-based methods but they can be very convincing though (The Last of Us is a great example).

Where the time savings come in is scene (as opposed to environment) lighting - raster solutions come with a lot of unique behaviours, quirks and performance considerations - RT lighting is much more obvious and immediate - it's also a real 'what you see is what you get' workflow.

Re: shadows - yes, it's nice to have fully dynamic shadows (particularly the soft falloff) but I've never felt that shadow maps (particularly at the resolutions we're now able to calculate them at) were ugly or inflexible in modern PC gaming (consoles maybe) - depends on the game/engine I guess.

This is very much a transitional period - we're far from done with rasterization yet (look at God of War: Ragnarök or Horizon Forbidden West) and I imagine there'll be no shortage of games that take advantage of the rasterization performance of modern GPUs in increasingly impressive ways during this console cycle - so we haven't thrown the baby out with the bathwater just yet :D

With that said, yes, rasterization has come a long way indeed. But look at Doom how it looked in 1992 and how it looks almost 30 years later. Same will be with RT.

vs

For CB 20077, as an example with a particular scene, the RT version has a yellow tint (alongside better lighting which puts in a better light the assets), most likely, due to being a better GI solution, it captures better the colors of the environment as light bounces around. Kinda "pops" by itself. :)
I am not here to pee on peoples parades but CBP2077 looks better with RT off in those shots. Art style wise and to my subjective taste.
There is very little visual improvement if at all.

That's the non-RT version :)
Yet light bounces are more accurate in the ceiling.

Strange one.

Unless lights have no backs on them, they should not be reflecting on the ceiling and the billboard TV thing shines better in non RT.

Says a lot about RT in that game when you can't tell which is which besides going up to a reflection and seeing the city reflected or your own character model.

Last edited:
Yet light bounces are more accurate in the ceiling.

Strange one.
The ceiling's actually reflecting the illuminated billboards at the back there - you can also see more detail in the reflection of the 'Combat Cab' billboard on the ceiling. The robot's got some really nice lighting in the RT version - the metal back foot is darkened by the reflection/shadow of the knee directly over it and it no longer picks up the random specular highlights seen in the non-RT version (which make it look almost like it's lit from beneath).

The overall effect of the ambient occlusion is nicer in the RT version too - it nicely plants the objects and characters in the scene - it's a little too dark in my opinion though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom