• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Soldato
With these settings the 7900 GRE is around 60 FPS, the thing with that is now so is the 4070, its no longer 40% ahead, its now less than 10%.

For a lot of these mainstream tech jurneos that's not the correct narrative, bigger bar better, the trouble with that is bigger bar is 27 FPS on a £600 GPU, so no one who understands the value of money gives a ####, because its all just ####, so all they care about is other things that are not RTX.

I don't care about RTX in Cyberpunk, at all, because i don't have £1000+ to spend on a GPU and because Cyberpunk just seems to be all about RTX i don't care about Cyberpunk either, even knowing its not all about RTX, i'll wait for it to land in the £4.99 discount bin, even then i'm still like: is there anything else for £4.99?
It just puts me off it....

xGGJTxI.png
There's so many logical mistakes there!

You're complaining that some journalists don't test for a specific set of settings, at a specific resolution where the cards are close enough and by that they're constructing a narrative, when you're doing basically that exact thing -> playing with the settings to suit your point! :)) And nVIDIA is still cheaper than AMD. Sorry.

Moving on, you seem to be upset that some high end, groundbreaking game(s) require the best hardware out there (story almost as old as the gaming itself), that you can't afford, a game that you may or may not like - is not clear by your wording and yet... here you are (!), discussing something that apparently you have no interest in, but you want that lack of excitement to be imposed on others as well. They can't be possible enjoying RT and PT, right?!
To be clear IMO these Cyberpunk charts give RT a bad name, because 97% of gamers don't buy £1000 GPU's and it just perpetuates the idea that RT is for the ultra elite among the PCMR community only/

Its very exclusive.

And 97% of the gamers don't have a 4k screen that requires a 1000 pounds GPU. Heck, I use the 4080 to play at 1080p, too!

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's a showcase for Nvidia tech,so I can understand why it does well on Nvidia hardware - even DF said the same. I mean you could use various COD games(one of the most popular games out there),to say how AMD is "better" too. In the end it depends on what you want to run. People have to accept it and move on.

Even if you ignore AMD cards in that game,you can just check channels like Daniel Owen which test's mainstream and older hardware. Even he acknowledges even if there are "technical" victories,the experience isn't great unless you drop settings. HUB,GN,etc all think the same.

This is why HUB made that poll. 54000 hardware enthusiasts made their opinion known this year. 85% thought RT was too hard to run easily,so needed to switch it off or reduce settings.

It makes more a difference if you are spending decent money,after all you do want to enable shiny settings. RT is one of them and the higher end cards have less compromises in that regard. If AMD wants to gain more sales at the top,they do need to work on the whole package.

Remember Crysis 2, the bollards? the ocean thing was nonsense, that's just how Cryengine works, if the map has an ocean its a plane that's under the land.

But the massively over tessellated bollards, that was true, i had the assets years ago, the polygon count on them is insane, you would only do that deliberately and it murdered the performance on Nvidia GPU's, but more on AMD / ATI? GPU's.

Cyberpunk, if you push RT really really high AMD cards fall flat on their face, it also makes Nvidia GPU's unplayable but not to the same extent, and it makes the bar charts bigger for Nvidia than they would be if the RT was only at such a level where it is playable for both Nvidia and AMD.

Its an age old tactic from Nvidia.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only 15% run RT at high and 85% either switch it off or drop it to low/medium settings. That is not an anti-RT conspiracy. It is the reality a lot of gamers don't simply have fast enough hardware to run it effectively at decent settings. That is the reality I see too.

People can blame AMD,blame consoles,etc but even the fastest Nvidia card under £500 is the RTX4060TI. That is the reality of the shrinkflation which has hampered the market over the last few years.
And how many were running games at 4k, all maxed out before? I remember getting the 2080 back in the day, about the same performance (at the time) with a 1080ti which was considered a 4k card. Yeah, it couldn't handle 75% resolution of 4k at 60fps (still raster at the time) in some games, so still had to drop the settings.

BTW, 15% is still A LOT.

Soldato
Remember Crysis 2, the bollards? the ocean thing was nonsense, that's just how Cryengine works, if the map has an ocean its a plane that's under the land.

But the massively over tessellated bollards, that was true, i had the assets years ago, the polygon count on them is insane, you would only do that deliberately and it murdered the performance on Nvidia GPU's, but more on AMD / ATI? GPU's.

Cyberpunk, if you push RT really really high AMD cards fall flat on their face, it also makes Nvidia GPU's unplayable but not to the same extent, and it makes the bar charts bigger for Nvidia than they would be if the RT was only at such a level where it is playable for both Nvidia and AMD.

Its an age old tactic from Nvidia.

Again, you're mixing things up.

Crysis 2 had an issue with too much tessalation. Cyberpunk doesn't have an issue with too many rays since you can't generate enough of them anyway and need to use shortcuts. AMD is simply too weak, it was a design choice on their part.

Last edited:
Soldato
Geez Louise,I was paraphrasing Digital Foundry - maybe people need to watch some of their videos - Richard has talked about it. Also I was responding to Humbug. Also considering I played over 200 hours of the game,not really sure why stating the obvious on how it runs is now considered controversial.

But the crap card is frequently priced on offer close to an RTX4060TI 16GB,because it launched at under £500. The RX7700XT recently was the same price as the RTX4060TI 8GB. RTX4070 at £500ish upwards does better,but most of the cards on Steam are well below that in price. The RTX3060 is still gaining a lot of share. If the crap card is not enough for RT,then by extension so is most of the Steam top20. Most of them have worse RT performance than an RTX3080.

AQlAgdy.png
Daniel Owen and other people tested a lot of the sub £500 cards - once you turn stuff up it all becomes a bit rubbish. At those framerates frame generation doesn't help,because of the low base FPS and the new RT update made performance worse.You need to turn down settings,and make compromises. The shrinkflation is real.Making it a AMD vs Nvidia thing has zero bearing on this.54000 enthusiasts on HUB stated their view on it - not my fault they voted that way. People should complain at HUB then!

Anyway,have a nice weekend. Hopefully no RT(Real-Time) water puddles outside! :p
And how many were running games at 4k, all maxed out before? I remember getting the 2080 back in the day, about the same performance (at the time) with a 1080ti which was considered a 4k card. Yeah, it couldn't handle 75% resolution of 4k at 60fps (still raster at the time) in some games, so still had to drop the settings.

BTW, 15% is still A LOT.

The issue this is a survey of 54000 hardware enthusiasts,most of which will tend to spend more than average on dGPUs,have decent CPUs and most likely own an Nvidia card. If only 15% of that crowd can run things decently,that means the other 85% find performance an issue. That would be with DLSS,FSR and FG in the mix. Then take into account gamers in general - even if people want to switch on RT,performance seems to be a problem.

But as I mentioned so many times the shrinkflation by the Nvidia and AMD hasn't helped.Turing/RDNA1 was a sideways improvement until the refreshes. Ampere/RDNA2 was good,until both reset the RRP and the current generation is another one. It's also not helpful there is still plenty of old RTX3000/RX6000 stock being sold around the world. The UK is one of the better markets - it can be worse elsewhere. Maybe the PS5 PRO will give a kick up the arse of AMD and Nvidia. Probably not.

Last edited:
Caporegime
4060 Ti 16GB £450
RX 7800 XT £470

If for the absolute worst case scenario for the RX 7800 XT it gets the same 28 'lol' FPS then i don't see the problem, with just about anything else it will blow it in to the weeds.

Its too much when people compare the RT on AMD to much more expensive Nvidia cards, i don't know if that's indoctrinated brainwashing or just childish hate, i find the idea of spending £20 less on the 4060 Ti 16GB as an alternative to the RX 7800 XT hilarious.

DLSS vs FSR is an argument to be had, RT performance, no, absolutely not!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oh oh:

The emphasis is on improving ray tracing support in games already available or coming to PS5. The outlet reports that developers who can "provide significant enhancements" to its games will be able to use the "Trinity Enhanced" label if they demonstrate they have provided "significant enhancements." The "Trinity Enhanced" label sounds a lot like the label that Microsoft used for games that were "optimized" for its high-end ninth-generation console, the Xbox Series X

Damn nvidia!!!! No wait, damn Sony/AMD!!!! :p :D :cry::cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Tried Cyberpunk for the first time the other day, all settings maxed out, RT maxed out and at 1080p I'm getting an almost steady 60fps on my 7900XT.

Been running a number of games with RT enabled and most play really well. Nearly 100fps on Jedi Survivor and Hogwarts Legacy. Just over 100fps on RE4.

Gpu at stock with no overclack or any adjustments.

Soldato
Geez Louise,I was paraphrasing Digital Foundry - maybe people need to watch some of their videos - Richard has talked about it. Also I was responding to Humbug. Also considering I played over 200 hours of the game,not really sure why stating the obvious on how it runs is now considered controversial.

But the crap card is frequently priced on offer close to an RTX4060TI 16GB,because it launched at under £500. The RX7700XT recently was the same price as the RTX4060TI 8GB. RTX4070 at £500ish upwards does better,but most of the cards on Steam are well below that in price. The RTX3060 is still gaining a lot of share. If the crap card is not enough for RT,then by extension so is most of the Steam top20. Most of them have worse RT performance than an RTX3080.

AQlAgdy.png
Daniel Owen and other people tested a lot of the sub £500 cards - once you turn stuff up it all becomes a bit rubbish. At those framerates frame generation doesn't help,because of the low base FPS and the new RT update made performance worse.You need to turn down settings,and make compromises. The shrinkflation is real.Making it a AMD vs Nvidia thing has zero bearing on this.54000 enthusiasts on HUB stated their view on it - not my fault they voted that way. People should complain at HUB then!

Anyway,have a nice weekend. Hopefully no RT(Real-Time) water puddles outside! :p

The issue this is a survey of 54000 hardware enthusiasts,most of which will tend to spend more than average on dGPUs,have decent CPUs and most likely own an Nvidia card. If only 15% of that crowd can run things decently,that means the other 85% find performance an issue. That would be with DLSS,FSR and FG in the mix. Then take into account gamers in general - even if people want to switch on RT,performance seems to be a problem.

But as I mentioned so many times the shrinkflation by the Nvidia and AMD hasn't helped.Turing/RDNA1 was a sideways improvement until the refreshes. Ampere/RDNA2 was good,until both reset the RRP and the current generation is another one. It's also not helpful there is still plenty of old RTX3000/RX6000 stock being sold around the world. The UK is one of the better markets - it can be worse elsewhere. Maybe the PS5 PRO will give a kick up the arse of AMD and Nvidia. Probably not.

My biggest issue with the current gen is its price, 'cause through it, it has managed to slow down the adoption of RT.

With that, going by the latest Steam survey numbers, it doesn't look that back. Feel free to take away from the list the cards you'll thing are to slow or to add others, but keep in mind that a well executed game (like Metro Exodus), can run on a weaker card to. On top, you can activate just some effects, not all.

So, for an install base of 120mil, 22,77% will be around 27.324 mil users. Or about the same as XBOX SeriesX/S has sold so far.

Between the 4060 and 7800xt, I' probably go with a rtx 4070 super for 10 pounds more.

Oh oh:

Damn nvidia!!!! No wait, damn Sony/AMD!!!! :p :D :cry::cool:

Caporegime
My biggest issue with the current gen is its price, 'cause through it, it has managed to slow down the adoption of RT.

With that, going by the latest Steam survey numbers, it doesn't look that back. Feel free to take away from the list the cards you'll thing are to slow or to add others, but keep in mind that a well executed game (like Metro Exodus), can run on a weaker card to. On top, you can activate just some effects, not all.

So, for an install base of 120mil, 22,77% will be around 27.324 mil users. Or about the same as XBOX SeriesX/S has sold so far.

Between the 4060 and 7800xt, I' probably go with a rtx 4070 super for 10 pounds more.

You mean £80 more? the 4070 Super starts at £550, the RX 7800 XT starts at £470

Caporegime

In this case i think the image in the left looks much better, the image on the right, the PT image, is that even the same time of day? what is causing that entire scene to go from middle of the night to middle of the day? the huge billboard in the middle? Its saturating the entire scene with vast amounts of light, including things that are supposed to in its shadow.

It looks like the sort of thing you would see before we had shadow casting light, its all just lit, there are no shadows :cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime

That's crazy difference :cry: inb4 raster looks better comments :cry:

In this case i think the image in the left looks much better, the image on the right, the PT image, is that even the same time of day? what is causing that entire scene to go from middle of the night to middle of the day? the huge billboard in the middle? Its saturating the entire scene with vast amounts of light, including things that are supposed to in its shadow.

Guessing you have never seen times square.....

Soldato
You mean £80 more? the 4070 Super starts at £550, the RX 7800 XT starts at £470

Yeah, 80 more - forgot to order it by price. The extra money is covering the extra overall RT performance from 4070 super which ahead of the 7900XT GRE as well - and that's in general, since it beats the 7900xtx in Cyberpunk. Plus DLSS.

It looks like the sort of thing you would see before we had shadow casting light, its all just lit, there are no shadows :cry:
The billboard is a huge light source which isn't shinning any light in raster - that's what happens when you have actually fake lighting, with artists doing their thing and ignoring how light actually works. Probably the engine ain't as good as well or it would be too heavy on the performance using more probes - oh, that would be the irony.
You can see the red light sign as well casting reflections and light more strongly outside of raster.

As of shadows, of course there will be less. There are where they should be - around the concrete benches, that jersey barrier, etc.

Below is an a example from the opposite side. In raster the sign cast almost no light and there is the usual light leak behind it, the highway is not lit although is very close to it. Only with newer methods it does what it actually should do. Of course, not to mention the color cast...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom