• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Soldato
Vega 56 here with a 750w Gigabyte PSU.

Benchmarks without problem but when ingame, system reboots and get "default wattman settings restored" after booting into Windows.

Clean installed latest and optional drivers, same problem.

Soldato
Vega 56 here with a 750w Gigabyte PSU.

Benchmarks without problem but when ingame, system reboots and get "default wattman settings restored" after booting into Windows.

Clean installed latest and optional drivers, same problem.

Same here at times - I also get choppy performance in Division 2 despite adjusting loads of settings - I’m thinking it’s an issue with my older hardware - i7 2700k and DDR3 ran at 1600mhz

Associate
I think I won the major silicon lottery with my reference Vega 56 LC. I got it around a month ago and put a slight overclock on the card. I recently got a water block for it as we all know how bad the refernce cooler is.

I managed to get 1700mhz on the core and 1155mhz on the HBM!!

My scores on timespy and firestrike are also very very good.

Timespy I'm getting around 7850

Firestrike I'm getting around 26000

I'm very happy with this card expecially as I got it for only £220 used.

Also Im using a 650w PSU which is handling games fine just in certain benchmarks its getting to 660w with a plug meter.

Associate
Same here at times - I also get choppy performance in Division 2 despite adjusting loads of settings - I’m thinking it’s an issue with my older hardware - i7 2700k and DDR3 ran at 1600mhz

Put the monitoring overlay on (CTRL+SHIFT+O) and have a look at your CPU usage. I have a 4690k @4.4GHz and it'll sit at 96-99% usage all the time, causing poor frame times.

DX12 fixes it, but DX12 mode crashes at random intervals for me.

Associate
It also depends in the games, some games make high cpu usage this happens to me sometimes on starwars battlefront 2, but only for few seconds in the beginning but then the cpu usage drops and the gpu goes to 100 percent.

Associate
DX12 is sometimes less tolerant of CPU overclocks than DX11.

Wasn't the issue in my case. Things I had tried previously, none of which made any difference:
  • Removing all overclocks
  • Clean install of all AMD driver releases since 19.3.2 (when Division 2 support was added)
  • Disabling Uplay overlay
  • Disabling Discord overlay
  • Disabling all AMD driver software overlays
  • Disabling ReLive
  • Disabling unused audio devices
  • Changing compatiblity options on the game executable, some reported that disabling full screen optimisations and set the High DPI override to Application helps
  • Ending every non essential application/service after startup
  • Setting lower graphics options, Vsync on vs vysnc off, disabling the low latency mode etc
  • Setting a frame cap of 60FPS
  • Verifying game files
None of that made any difference at all. Some of the items above did fix the issue for some people though. It's quite a common issue, and not AMD specific - https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/b5nycd/hey_massive_going_to_repost_this_until_it_gets/

Associate
I can't install the latest 19.4.1 adrenaline driver, keep BSOD-ing. Back to the previous driver and it's fine. Anyone having the same problem? Vega 56 red devil.

Associate
Just to update I received my replacement vega 56 pulse, it still has coil whine but less then the previous one, I think its very common with the sapphire pulse edition.
its not noticeable while gaming so im ok with it. It does overclock and and undervolt very well.

Soldato
Just to update I received my replacement vega 56 pulse, it still has coil whine but less then the previous one, I think its very common with the sapphire pulse edition.
its not noticeable while gaming so im ok with it.
Seems to be the case - some people (especially men - not kids) don't even notice some coil whine so it is probably under reported, to a degree. I was fixing a friends build the other day and he had really annoying coil whine, to my ears, but he couldn't hear it (although, i seem to have a very good hearing range for my age - annoyingly so it seems).
It does overclock and and undervolt very well.
Sod the bearable coil whine then.

Associate
its not noticeable while gaming so im ok with it. It does overclock and and undervolt very well.

What power supply do you have? My previous card (Asus STRIX 390X) had horrendous coil whine when I first got it, it was absolutely intolerable compared to the R9 270X it replaced. It was so bad that you could hear the whine changing frequency when scrolling a page in Chrome. Turned out the problem was the PSU, and upgrading to a HX850i got rid of the whine completely. The old power supply was a high enough power rating, but was "only" 80+ Bronze rated. Cant remember what it was exactly, it was a fairly basic semi modular Antec unit. I can only assume that it was providing comparatively "unclean" power compared to the new one or something?

My Vega 56 Pulse on the same PSU does not produce any coil whine that I can hear.

Worth considering anyway.

Back
Top Bottom