• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
These cards are weird, usually my core boosts to 1544 max in games which I'm happy with as I only applied undervolts but gaming last night and ambient was warmer and it felt like boosting to 1634 at some point, same temps and fan speeds etc

Weird

You may have been hitting the power limit previously before undervolting, which would limit boost clock. undervolt = lower power consumption at a given clock speed, which means potentially higher boost clocks.

Associate
Same here at times - I also get choppy performance in Division 2 despite adjusting loads of settings - I’m thinking it’s an issue with my older hardware - i7 2700k and DDR3 ran at 1600mhz

Hi buddy. What fps are you getting?

I found the following video really useful and have set to 'Hub Quality' Worth watching all video to understand, however the settings can be found at 15mins58

I currently get around 70fps (this dips to around 45fps with high vegitation and mist and in other areas goes up to 90fps. However mainly is 45-70)
This is with a 2500k set at 4.4ghz and a Vega 56 at 1,602 and 950 for memory and 16gb of Corsair vengence memory.
Upgrading from a 7950 meant that I went from 30fps on medium settings at beta to the above settings. The Vega 56 contributed mainly to this, however the ram upgrade smoothed out the spiked drops. I play at 1080p and the Division 2 usually uses around12gb on my system with all background stuff.

Let me know how yours peforms and test the settings from the video I linked and hope it helps. Main one is the volumetric fog that dropping to medium from high ives a big boost to fps!
Currently thinking if to upgrade to a 2600k or 3770K for hyperthreading to last me a little longer!?

Soldato
You may have been hitting the power limit previously before undervolting, which would limit boost clock. undervolt = lower power consumption at a given clock speed, which means potentially higher boost clocks.

Like I say its been undervolted for a while and not seen it go over 1544, it jumped to 1634 with no changes which is what makes it strange

Soldato

I found the following video really useful and have set to 'Hub Quality' Worth watching all video to understand, however the settings can be found at 15mins58

I currently get around 70fps (this dips to around 45fps with high vegitation and mist and in other areas goes up to 90fps. However mainly is 45-70)
This is with a 2500k set at 4.4ghz and a Vega 56 at 1,602 and 950 for memory and 16gb of Corsair vengence memory.
Upgrading from a 7950 meant that I went from 30fps on medium settings at beta to the above settings. The Vega 56 contributed mainly to this, however the ram upgrade smoothed out the spiked drops. I play at 1080p and the Division 2 usually uses around12gb on my system with all background stuff.

Let me know how yours peforms and test the settings from the video I linked and hope it helps. Main one is the volumetric fog that dropping to medium from high ives a big boost to fps!
Currently thinking if to upgrade to a 2600k or 3770K for hyperthreading to last me a little longer!?

Thank you - yes I upgraded to the 2700k for the hyperthreading and it made a huge difference.

Since my post, I have discovered that my fresh install of windows, despite my understanding was not in fact up to date. I have had to install several .net framework updates.

Since this, I have run my card at stock settings and have had steady and very good performance similar to yours - I suspect I can start over clocking my card now and see how I get on.

Really appreciate your help

Associate
Just got a vega 56.

Im reading conflicting reports.
Im connected through one pci-e cable ;daisy-chained.

Should I take off the daisy-chain and connect with a seperate pci e cable?

So there's two seperate pci e cables?

Yeah thats what i have seen lots of people say. I had to do do this on my gtx1080 otherwise it just wouldn't work.

Associate
Must be a driver conflict or something between the onboard and dedicated... I guess you don't have access to another system you can put the card in and test?
I have a few relatives I could ask. What is strange is that when in PEG mode the iGPU breaks (yellow exclamation mark) but continues to show a high definition controller as working (onboard audio is disabled so it's not that). But if I boot in IGD mode both GPU's are showing as installed fine. But the same issue of sound only being available from the motherboard DP/HDMI connectors persists. In PEG mode I tried forcing an install of a AMD High Definition Audio Controller using legacy driver install mode but this just resulted in a BSOD. I also switched from UEFI to legacy BIOS (converted Win10's hard disk from GPT to MBR). Same issue. It's like having a Vega APU overrides the dGPU's audio detection entirely. I am flummuxed and Sapphiretech are useless (they can barely speak English in their replies and just fob me off with driver installs). MSI said they will test it and get back to me but I am not holding my breath!

Associate
Recently bought MSI vega 56 airboost and upgrade ram, and start having BSOD, looking at the minidump, appear to be graphic card driver or direct x crashed, would 600W PSU is the problem?

Associate
I'm not the only one then, I was thinking my GPU might be broken but it turns out the drivers are broken. I'll probably wait a few more months until these annoying BSOD problems go away before updating driver.

Soldato

Is there a website that collates which graphics settings in each game kill FPS? It seems that a lot of games have a couple of options that can be disabled to get 90% of the visual quality but at double the FPS compared to max settings. I've looked before but never found anything useful. Knowing which settings to turn off if you have a weak GPU or CPU would be really useful too (some games do this, some don't).

Associate
I'm not the only one then, I was thinking my GPU might be broken but it turns out the drivers are broken. I'll probably wait a few more months until these annoying BSOD problems go away before updating driver.

Just had a freeze, nothing in minidump, no information what caused freeze. Would PSU cause freeze?

Associate
Just a quickie...for those with the red dragon..do you know of any power cables adaptors like EVGA released ? Ive got a metric ton of cables sat on the back of the card and it looks so naff! With the plugs being half way down the card theres very little room to hide the cables

Back
Top Bottom