• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
Just bought a 'manufacturer refurbished' Vega 56 Strix from ebay, not sure if it really was actually refurbished by ASUS or not tbh. Card seems great, followed a common reddit guide to undervolting & am getting some fairly solid results. Wish I'd read more about the Strix VRM temp issues before I went for it. Question though, most people having issues with that were seeing temps over 100c for the VRM, my SOC VRM gets to about 90 & mem VRM to about 80. Are these farily normal or still high compared to other non-strix cards? Willing to swap out the thermal pad as others have done if needed but not going to tear down the card if this seems like the sort of temps that would be expected.

Associate
Just bought a 'manufacturer refurbished' Vega 56 Strix from ebay, not sure if it really was actually refurbished by ASUS or not tbh. Card seems great, followed a common reddit guide to undervolting & am getting some fairly solid results. Wish I'd read more about the Strix VRM temp issues before I went for it. Question though, most people having issues with that were seeing temps over 100c for the VRM, my SOC VRM gets to about 90 & mem VRM to about 80. Are these farily normal or still high compared to other non-strix cards? Willing to swap out the thermal pad as others have done if needed but not going to tear down the card if this seems like the sort of temps that would be expected.

It looks high but not as bad as i have seen. My 64 strix went to around 106c

Associate
It looks high but not as bad as i have seen. My 64 strix went to around 106c
OK cheers. From what I've read Asus have resolved this on newer cards, with mine being called a refurb just not sure if the issue has been fixed or not. I know the VRM components are generally rated for 120c+ so still within spec, just toying with whether it would be worth swapping it out with the temps I'm seeing.

Associate
OK cheers. From what I've read Asus have resolved this on newer cards, with mine being called a refurb just not sure if the issue has been fixed or not. I know the VRM components are generally rated for 120c+ so still within spec, just toying with whether it would be worth swapping it out with the temps I'm seeing.

Have you undervolted the 56? this may reduce temps?

Associate
Have you undervolted the 56? this may reduce temps?

Yep, currently landed on this:
2433j7q.jpg

Seems to give reasonable clock speed in the 1550-1560 region reported in gpu-z. Dropping P7 lower reduces that clock now. Think looks ok? Ignore the fan section, profile seems to have gone bellyup but the clocks are correct

Associate

Thats not too bad, for comparison my sapphire pulse is 70c GPU/HBM temp and 80c SOC/memory VRM with 30% fan speed.

Still have not found a fix for undervolting at 144hz though, it just doesnt work. Monitor at 60hz the GPU goes to 1v, at 144hz it just sticks to 1.05v or 1.1v ignoring all undervolting settings. Only auto undervolt works for me at 144hz (bounces between 0.93 and 1v at 1500-1550mhz) but then the memory is stuck at a slow 800mhz.

Maybe a flash to a 64 BIOS and then auto undervolt?

Associate
Thats not too bad, for comparison my sapphire pulse is 70c GPU/HBM temp and 80c SOC/memory VRM with 30% fan speed.

Still have not found a fix for undervolting at 144hz though, it just doesnt work. Monitor at 60hz the GPU goes to 1v, at 144hz it just sticks to 1.05v or 1.1v ignoring all undervolting settings. Only auto undervolt works for me at 144hz (bounces between 0.93 and 1v at 1500-1550mhz) but then the memory is stuck at a slow 800mhz.

Thanks for the info on VRM. I've seen the Pulse is well reviewed so being only slightly above yours isnt so bad.
Hadn't heard about issues with 144hz tbh, will bear that in mind. I bought a 4k 60hz monitor a while back so not currently a problem for me but I have been thinknig for a while to ditch the 4k & get a 1440p 144hz, but your experience is interesting.

Unfortunately I can't flash mine to a 64 as it has Hynix memory :(

Associate
Can you get the same results from the registry editing of the powerplay tables, or do you have to flash with the V64 bios to up the power limit on the HBM?

I'm looking at picking up one of the Pulse 56's while they are on offer :)

Soldato
I got the pulse 56 recently. Looking for some tips on how to undervolt and OC? Am I able to copy someones settings? Also, at 200+ FPS my vega 56 screams, really loud coil whine. Will this go away

Associate
Hello guys is anyone else having issues from a cold boot!
My 56 is showing a snow black and white screen (similar to an old tv)and a horrible hissing comes from my speakers then to a green screen.
It works fine after that.
Any overclock/underclock iv applied doesn't stick because when above happens it resets my settings.

The card works great but the noise it makes is horrible and scares the living daylight out of everyone.
Its only a few months old i bought it in Feb and it does this about 3 or 4 times a week and has since i got it but it worked great so i thought it might go away but it hasn't.

Soldato
Can I get some OC assistance please?

I went up to 1700Mhz on the GPU, with 1100mV. Power limit 50%

920Mhz memory frequency with 1000mV

But I crash in superposition. What should I increase? The memory voltage? If so, to what?

Here is a link to my settings

https://imgur.com/a/zxQrow4

Last edited:
Associate

I fixed this issue with undervolting not working and the card being stuck at 1.05/1.1v, seems the issue was using the HDMI cable that came with my Dell S2719DGF at 144hz. Seems 144hz and HDMI locks Vega cards to higher voltages. I've switched for a DP cable and now undervolting works correctly.

Associate
Can I get some OC assistance please?

I went up to 1700Mhz on the GPU, with 1100mV. Power limit 50%

920Mhz memory frequency with 1000mV

But I crash in superposition. What should I increase? The memory voltage? If so, to what?

Here is a link to my settings

https://imgur.com/a/zxQrow4

I have 1130mv on my 1702 Core Clock, you can go up to 1200mv which is default voltage as far as i know. Just increase at 10mv at a time until stable, keeping eye on temps of course.

Soldato
So I've managed to get

1650 GPU Mhz, 950 memory Mhz, 1100 GPU voltage

If it's stable now I'm wondering is it worth trying to bring that voltage down more? Would it make a difference?

Associate
So I've managed to get

1650 GPU Mhz, 950 memory Mhz, 1100 GPU voltage

If it's stable now I'm wondering is it worth trying to bring that voltage down more? Would it make a difference?
In temps and fan speed it'll make a difference yes. I've found 1.02v at 1600 p7 and 950 mem to be my cards sweet spot, I can push 1700ish at 1.1 but it's not worth the extra heat for a handful of frames.

At 1.02v my fan speed is 30% max with 68-69c

Soldato
I'm having some issues now, wether overclocked or not... but when I play overwatch, my card gpu frequency doesn't stay at 1600Mhz and it's always up and down, sometimes as low as 1200MHz and I feel like it's causing fps spikes... is this normal or should it always be at 1600Mhz?

Soldato
I'm having some issues now, wether overclocked or not... but when I play overwatch, my card gpu frequency doesn't stay at 1600Mhz and it's always up and down, sometimes as low as 1200MHz and I feel like it's causing fps spikes... is this normal or should it always be at 1600Mhz?

Have you locked P7? If not, it's unfortunately a common issue with Vegas with clock bouncing in some games badly. If you HAVE locked P7 and are downclocking a lot, then that means you are power limited or not giving the card enough voltage.

Soldato
Have you locked P7? If not, it's unfortunately a common issue with Vegas with clock bouncing in some games badly. If you HAVE locked P7 and are downclocking a lot, then that means you are power limited or not giving the card enough voltage.

How do I lock p7?

Back
Top Bottom