• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
So the sale is on 6%? Not impressed I'm out. I will wait for a better deal elsewhere. If that’s the best as these have been lower in The past.

All that talk on the forum from a employee about a great deal and it’s been the worst deal yet.

Shame. No buy for me

Associate
I actually thought there was going to be a decent deal and was thinking about grabbing a second one. Guess something went wrong behind the scenes because its still the same price as when i bought one in Feb.

Man of Honour
So the sale is on 6%? Not impressed I'm out. I will wait for a better deal elsewhere. If that’s the best as these have been lower in The past.

All that talk on the forum from a employee about a great deal and it’s been the worst deal yet.

Shame. No buy for me
Yep. I was ready to pull the trigger and then laughed when the 'offer' started. You can buy cheaper elsewhere even after that discount (exact same model, not a blower).

Associate
Specing a PC for a friend and with the vega 56 was wondering what the better the card was. The Sapphire pulse or the powercolor red dragon.

Soldato
Is the hot spot reading anything to worry about on my pulse? I've redone the Tim and gpu and memory temps are low 70's undervolted and oc'ed, but hot-spot is 90c, is this an error report I should ignore or how do I find the sensor/placement reporting the hot spot and fix it?

Soldato
Specing a PC for a friend and with the vega 56 was wondering what the better the card was. The Sapphire pulse or the powercolor red dragon.

Pulse was always recommended as it was way cheaper than the PowerColor Red Dragon.

Now that they are the same price I'd choose the triple fan PowerColor over the dual fan Pulse if his case is big enough, also it has a higher boost clock.

They have the wrong boost speed on the PowerColor webpage info.. it says 1478MHz when its actually 1590MHz.

Heres my Red Dragon in GPUZ showing defaults.

9FxiMRg.png

Red Dragon is a long card though (around 330mm length).

Here is a pic of it next to my Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480.

DoMX2sc.png

Soldato
Just flashed my pulse to a vega 64 bios, what seemed a flakey undervolt and oc now seems a stable stock 64 setting, was really easy to do, I'm impressed :)

Edit, not made much difference to my timespy score, hbm is happy at 1060mhz, won't go past 1100, but i noticed the odd funny bit at 1100 so dialed it back a bit, still a 260mhz oc from stock 56 speeds seems good :D

The gpu core is still an issue, don't feel I can get any more out of it, hotspot seems the same on the v64 bios, benchmarked timespy on the stock 64 bios no changes and the hotspot was 79c (guessing this is being read right and it's impacting perf when pushing card), I'm guessing when I push the card and it goes into the 90's this is holding the core back?I'd watercool it but there doesn't seem to be much benefit maybe 100mhz more into the mid 1700's :X

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry guys this is my first post.. but I recently built a new PC with Ryzen 5 1600 ASRock X370 Pro Corsair Vengeance 640m power supply Corsair lpx ddr4 2400 16gb ram Kingston Sad and of course the ASRock Vega 56.. Ive built many pcs over the years but this is the first one giving me stuttering issues in games with fps drops.. I've read and read and I don't know if it's a Ryzen issue or Vega issue.. trying to decide if I need to send anything back or if there is a fix for the microstutters... Any help would be greatly appreciated.. clean Win10 install and recent drivers

Associate
Hello all
I've used the Vega 56 Pulse for a week now and the card impressive after coming from a 1060 3gb. I watched for GPUs of similar performance for about a month with the idea to upgrade so when the prices dropped this seemed like a good choice. My small concern is that I experienced one or two soft driver crashes on idle, while pulling 8-10W according to HWinfo.

Initially I did undervolt the core voltages and overclocked the HBM to what I thought were stable settings, while aiming for low power consumption for PSU concerns (see my specs below). The card ran benchmarks at 50% power limit for testing reasons for about 30 mins, nothing to note there, all passed, after which I set it to +25% where I wanted it to run. After getting a couple of soft driver crashes and recovers on (what I considered) stable settings I decided to try and run on stock for a while and see if it was the overclock causing the issue. Anyway getting driver crashes at idle on stock balanced settings (Wattman) seemed strange. I do need to point out though, that the card is powered by a single daisy chained cable, from a meh-PSU. I read through the last 50 pages here and saw some people with similar issues but no definitive cause. Can it be from the psu if it happens at the cards lowest performance state and not high power consumption and in the same case what role would the daisy chained cable have? This has happened only once or twice over the weekend, when gaming nothing strange seems to happen. On stock the card caps at 180W~, on 25% power limit it caps at 227W~, 50% power limit caps at 270-275W.

PS: Also on frames higher than 120 fps there is a loud coil whine (seems common, especially for that model), and with an aggressive fan curve it's a jet engine.
PS: DDU done in safe mode before inserting the card, with auto update stopped, no concerns there.

Specs:
R7 1700 at 3.8ghz, 1.12V
prime x370 pro
16gb flarex 2400 cl16, at 2800 1.32V
psu corsair CX550m
nvme ssd, sata ssd, 4x 120mm fans, 1 wlan card.

Edit: boy did I pick the right time to make my first post here...

Last edited:
Soldato
Just flashed my pulse to a vega 64 bios, what seemed a flakey undervolt and oc now seems a stable stock 64 setting, was really easy to do, I'm impressed :)

Edit, not made much difference to my timespy score, hbm is happy at 1060mhz, won't go past 1100, but i noticed the odd funny bit at 1100 so dialed it back a bit, still a 260mhz oc from stock 56 speeds seems good :D

The gpu core is still an issue, don't feel I can get any more out of it, hotspot seems the same on the v64 bios, benchmarked timespy on the stock 64 bios no changes and the hotspot was 79c (guessing this is being read right and it's impacting perf when pushing card), I'm guessing when I push the card and it goes into the 90's this is holding the core back?I'd watercool it but there doesn't seem to be much benefit maybe 100mhz more into the mid 1700's :X

You get better performance by overclocking the HBM than the actual core itself

Associate
A
Sorry guys this is my first post.. but I recently built a new PC with Ryzen 5 1600 ASRock X370 Pro Corsair Vengeance 640m power supply Corsair lpx ddr4 2400 16gb ram Kingston Sad and of course the ASRock Vega 56.. Ive built many pcs over the years but this is the first one giving me stuttering issues in games with fps drops.. I've read and read and I don't know if it's a Ryzen issue or Vega issue.. trying to decide if I need to send anything back or if there is a fix for the microstutters... Any help would be greatly appreciated.. clean Win10 install and recent drivers
Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom