• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
A lot of people maintain that its not the PSU as they either dont swap it out and insist it was quiet on the previous card, or they test it using one other new PSU. It isnt quite so simple as that due to the rail configuration, quality of components etc.

Some cards do coil whine. I have seen quite a number be resolved once a decent PSU or one that is another brand gets tested in the rig.

I understand. That's why I specifically asked the local store if it was possible to return/swap if it wasn't ok after testing. They said it's totally fine so I went with it. But yeah, my old PSU with my old card was also dead silent, it's a matter of chance. Also I only decided to try this out after finding out that it was both my GPU and PSU that were coil whining... the same PSU that was completely silent for a year running a 1060.

Soldato
Did you cap the fps to 1fps above your monitors refresh? I only heard coil whine on mine on menus at like 1000fps, capped to 145 and it was silent

Associate
Did you cap the fps to 1fps above your monitors refresh? I only heard coil whine on mine on menus at like 1000fps, capped to 145 and it was silent

Yes, 2 fps below the refresh of the monitor (142). It wasn't that, same coil whine was present during benchmarks too (30-50 fps, 100% load). I'm pretty sure it was audible at 170-280W, louder at 220W, and very loud at 50%PL running 270-280W. Initially I thought it was only on high FPS too but turned out it was during high load. It's history now anyway, no problem with the new PSU, so that's that. The old one and the old gpu will have a new purpose soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I understand. That's why I specifically asked the local store if it was possible to return/swap if it wasn't ok after testing. They said it's totally fine so I went with it. But yeah, my old PSU with my old card was also dead silent, it's a matter of chance. Also I only decided to try this out after finding out that it was both my GPU and PSU that were coil whining... the same PSU that was completely silent for a year running a 1060.

Yeah you done it correctly. Its easy to blame the card.

Associate
A screenshot of your wattman profile would be nice mate, I could give it a try, Cheers.
I will post a screen shot of my settings later on tomorrow mate. In the interim if you have a scan back to my first handful of posts you will see the settings I use.

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 115%; background: transparent none repeat scroll 0% 0%; }

Associate
I'm also running the old 2500K so it is interesting to see how you get on. Have you tried World War Z yet? (it came with my card). Can't seem to access Vulkan, but it can run at 4k on high (not ultra) locked to 60fps in DX11. Might download R6 Siege and try the HD textures as well.

I honestly think the best upgrade atm for the likes of us is a 2600K. The hyper thredding does have a decent impact on FPS, in particular the low 1%. Slow ram has an impact.

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 115%; background: transparent none repeat scroll 0% 0%; }

Associate
I honestly think the best upgrade atm for the likes of us is a 2600K. The hyper thredding does have a decent impact on FPS, in particular the low 1%. Slow ram has an impact.

I did consider that and had a look but find it hard to justify spending another £70 or so on a used processor that is about 8 years old

Associate
I further identified that the noise(s) were coming from both the GPU and the PSU, almost similar types of buzzing/screeching, which initially caused me to believe it was only the GPU. Switching to a 750W seasonic platinum plus, and now both the card and the PSU are dead silent for coil whine, regardless of fps, gpu load, power draw.
what was your previous psu that was making the noise?

Caporegime
Bit cheesed off right now.

Got rid of the Sapphire 4GB Nitro+ 480 as the fans were noisy in gaming.

Now I have a V56 and the fans are spinning up and down like crazy at *idle*. FFS!

They're literally going up, up up (loud), down down down (quiet), up up up (loud)... over and over. And I'm just sat here at the desktop with a single browser window up and nothing else.

If I can't fix this will have to get shot of the Vega. And I won't be buying any more Sapphire cards.

Soldato

Now I have a V56 and the fans are spinning up and down like crazy at *idle*. FFS!

They're literally going up, up up (loud), down down down (quiet), up up up (loud)... over and over. And I'm just sat here at the desktop with a single browser window up and nothing else.

If I can't fix this will have to get shot of the Vega. And I won't be buying any more Sapphire cards.

Did you reinstall the drivers? Do you have zero-rpm set in the drivers?

My Powercolor 56 doesn't spin the fans except for gaming. Even when doing video conversion using the GPU, the fans don't spin up. They certainly shouldn't make noise just in normal desktop/browser use.

Soldato

Just do you own fan curve in afterburner?

Caporegime
Did you reinstall the drivers? Do you have zero-rpm set in the drivers?

My Powercolor 56 doesn't spin the fans except for gaming. Even when doing video conversion using the GPU, the fans don't spin up. They certainly shouldn't make noise just in normal desktop/browser use.

Just do you own fan curve in afterburner?
From what I've read yesterday, Sapphire Vega Pulse cards will override Wattman and any fan curve you might set yourself.

"Intelligent Fan Control III"

Apparently you can't change its behaviour and it's controlled via firmware/pcb.

The Sapphire cards are the only cards (allegedly) that can't be fan controlled. To say I'm regretting this purchase is an understatement.

The Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 and 64 cannot be controlled by wattman due to Sapphire's "Intelligent Fan Control" feature. For some reason it overrides any software program that tries to manually control the fan speeds including AMD's own Wattman.

Caporegime
OK seems this card has a problem.

The memory is stuck at 800Mhz in idle (max clock) and won't clock down to lower states (the lower state being 167Mhz).

This is resulting in the card idling at ~50C. 50C is the threshold for the fans spinning up or cutting out.

GPU util always at 0%. GPU power about 14W.

Soldato
OK seems this card has a problem.

The memory is stuck at 800Mhz in idle (max clock) and won't clock down to lower states (the lower state being 167Mhz).

This is resulting in the card idling at ~50C. 50C is the threshold for the fans spinning up or cutting out.

GPU util always at 0%. GPU power about 14W.

Run the AMDCleanupUtility.exe file in the driver folder under Bin64.

install the latest drivers.. some previous drivers caused the memory clocks not to idle.

Also try Sapphire TriXX for fan control, i used to use it with my 480.

Btw how many monitors have you got running? Sometimes when using triple monitors or different refresh rates, this can cause the memory clock issue. I used to have it with my 480 with certain drivers.

Caporegime
Run the AMDCleanupUtility.exe file in the driver folder under Bin64.

install the latest drivers.. some previous drivers caused the memory clocks not to idle.

Also try Sapphire TriXX for fan control, i used to use it with my 480.

Btw how many monitors have you got running? Sometimes when using triple monitors or different refresh rates, this can cause the memory clock issue. I used to have it with my 480 with certain drivers.
There is no Trixx for Vega. It's not compatible. Sapphire withdrew it citing problems and never fixed it. So Trixx is only for 5xx series.

Just one monitor.

Soldato
There is no Trixx for Vega. It's not compatible. Sapphire withdrew it citing problems and never fixed it. So Trixx is only for 5xx series.

Just one monitor.

Ah ok, didnt know about that as i only use Wattman with my Vega.

Try the utility though, way better than DDU (that has potential to screw up an OS) and it has fixed issues for me in the past.

Caporegime
Ah ok, didnt know about that as i only use Wattman with my Vega.

Try the utility though, way better than DDU (that has potential to screw up an OS) and it has fixed issues for me in the past.
Will try that then. Ta.

About Trixx... see: https://www.google.com/search?q=trixx+"vega"+6.5

(filter on last 12 months)

There's loads of people saying it's not possible to control fans on Sapphire Vega cards. Wish I'd known that before!!!

Soldato
Will try that then. Ta.

About Trixx... see: https://www.google.com/search?q=trixx+"vega"+6.5

(filter on last 12 months)

There's loads of people saying it's not possible to control fans on Sapphire Vega cards. Wish I'd known that before!!!

Not even in Wattman? My Red Dragon seems fine using Wattman fan curves but Zero RPM never works for me with any of my overclocks, have to hit the reset button to stop fans spinning and when i do this it idles at 30 something degrees.

Hope you get it sorted, after all the waiting you did for the right price just to get issues with it.

Caporegime
Not even in Wattman? My Red Dragon seems fine using Wattman fan curves but Zero RPM never works for me with any of my overclocks, have to hit the reset button to stop fans spinning and when i do this it idles at 30 something degrees.

Hope you get it sorted, after all the waiting you did for the right price just to get issues with it.
Sapphire "Intelligent Fan Control III" overrides any software that tries to controls the fans :( And it's not possible to change the IFC3 fan curve.

Loads of Sapphire owners complaining about it. I should have done a bit more research given that I got shot of my Sapphire 480 because of loud fans!!

Feel like such an idiot!

https://www.google.com/search?q=sapphire+"vega"+intelligent+fan+control+wattman

Back
Top Bottom