• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Can someone guide me to where is the crossfire option in the new radeon 2020?
I had to revert to the 2019 version because I couldn't find the option and crossfire wasn't working. I got 2 x vega 56 Nitros one is the LM edition

Try this (copy paste from interwebs): Gear icon (right corner) -> Graphics tab (goes to Global graphics) -> Scroll down (choose whatever profile) -> Press Advanced dropdown -> Crossfire

Soldato
Thank you I will have a try again and reinstall the new drivers and try again

I read AMD are not supporting crossfire for the Navi cards but vega can and should be supported - really annoyed if they drop it as I tend to buy my mobo based on SLI/crossfire capable so I can always drop in another should the price be too much to resist later down the line.

Associate
I read AMD are not supporting crossfire for the Navi cards but vega can and should be supported - really annoyed if they drop it as I tend to buy my mobo based on SLI/crossfire capable so I can always drop in another should the price be too much to resist later down the line.
Good point.

Well usually when you hear from the horse's mouth that something is not of focus and as you mentioned Navi doesn't support xfire at all then of course no developer out there will bother to focus on doing the work to make sure xfire works. In the end whoever buys a second card - gets it later used, meaning not a new sale for AMD, while you could be getting their new super card etc.

To me it is similar to what Sony did to the PSVita, they started it and praised what an awesome device they made - and it is - but did everything in their power not to support it - made some good games only for release and then nothing only some ports that was 3rd party. During its life they said we are not focusing more AA games on it, and then they were wondering why it wasn't selling or serious devs were dropping from supporting it. If you Sony don't support it to make sure it sells the 3rd parties won't. Thank god for Japanese quirky JRPG games and indy games and it lasted long. Was my favorite portable device.

I will give it a go with different drivers see if it works with other drivers. Not sure if 10m HDMI length to the TV in the lounge would be an issue for causing trouble also to the way xfire performs. Might even try crypto although i think its a waste now.

Soldato
Good point.

Well nvidia offered it too but it makes sense as only hardcore people want to buy multiple dedicated cards and 99% just want one GPU. It will get developed and supported, its going to go full circle one day and they will reignite the feature.

Like I mention it can be used as a resource such as rent out (rendering, crypto, passwrod cracking etc) or if you do science stuff then this example is great. I am into it but dont have the time due to young family to look after outside of work.

Associate
Well nvidia offered it too but it makes sense as only hardcore people want to buy multiple dedicated cards and 99% just want one GPU. It will get developed and supported, its going to go full circle one day and they will reignite the feature.

Like I mention it can be used as a resource such as rent out (rendering, crypto, passwrod cracking etc) or if you do science stuff then this example is great. I am into it but dont have the time due to young family to look after outside of work.
Just had a look at mining stats. Am i right in thinking that the 3950x will destroy my 2xvegas in monero mining? Some people do 19k hashes on 3950x vs 1k ish on a vega?

Elec price is forbidding me of doing mining else I would give it a try. I did try in the past with my spare old nvidia gpus but didn't make much and since prices got crap i basically wasted electricity for nothing and didn't even bother with the vegas.

Soldato
Just had a look at mining stats. Am i right in thinking that the 3950x will destroy my 2xvegas in monero mining? Some people do 19k hashes on 3950x vs 1k ish on a vega?

Correct. They changed the algo to be CPU friendly, although this can be changed again at whim by the XMR team. They do this every 6 months or so to evade being swamped by ASICs.

Vegas are still great mining GPUs. The value of crypto has had a 5x drop so mining anything is a loss unless you get free electric. Nvidia are good at Equihash or Raven type algos, heck even ETH is mined well on all cards. What you need to do is select a conservative profile so your resources are only at 60% to keep consumption low. Pick a coin that has a future so its less of a gamble, i.e. ETH or XMR and just wait for months till its price returns x2 or above so when you cash out its positive after electric costs - just means your paying the supplier up front as you have already consumed the utility.

Associate
Correct. They changed the algo to be CPU friendly, although this can be changed again at whim by the XMR team. They do this every 6 months or so to evade being swamped by ASICs.

Vegas are still great mining GPUs. The value of crypto has had a 5x drop so mining anything is a loss unless you get free electric. Nvidia are good at Equihash or Raven type algos, heck even ETH is mined well on all cards. What you need to do is select a conservative profile so your resources are only at 60% to keep consumption low. Pick a coin that has a future so its less of a gamble, i.e. ETH or XMR and just wait for months till its price returns x2 or above so when you cash out its positive after electric costs - just means your paying the supplier up front as you have already consumed the utility.

Good to know although I think its a big gamble now, if i had free electricity i would defo do it.

Associate
So a couple of questions that I never asked back when I bought the cards.

What is the difference between the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 and Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 LM appart from the 2x8pin vs 3x8pin and extra RGB on the LM?

Default top clocks apparently seem the same in overdrivenTool 1590MHZ and 800Mhz CPU and Memory. I also never see the max 1590 in gaming even though the gpu usage is 100%.

Also they are hynix both of them sigh... What should I aim for clocks wise?

Associate
Undervolt slightly, it may help with the throttle. Power % makes a difference but it sounds like your reaching thermal limits in games so the clock speed never tops out. Will help when I get back home from work.
Same here ill do proper testing tomorrow. Doesnt help that the card is sandwitched by the other card I guess. I can try it full fans blasting to see if it throttles and ill take the second one out to see if I still have throttling

Associate
Shadow of Tomb raider benchmark, Witcher 3 just load my current game and Crysis 3 just first stage after you enter the first building.

Got really strange behaviour today, crossfire for witcher 3 (gog) wouldn't work. I couldnt make a profile on adrenaline 2019 drivers I would go and find the exe file to make a profile for the game and instead it would try to find it on Steam although I have it on gog. Jeez.

Then crysis 3 wouldn't start on xfire, then alt tab, put a mild oc and uc alt tab back to the game and now xfire was working but had a horrible weird flicker where you would see the hud etc multiple times flickering from top to bottom. Same if I reset the gpu clock. Upgraded to 20.1.1 drivers no ddu though, fixed the above for crysis, still no xfire on Witcher 3, and bloody hell now for some reason freesync is not supported but it was supported before.

PC Master race makes me more and more annoyed and looking forward to the new console releases honestly to become a console peasant. At least you start the game there and it bloody runs as it should.

why did I lose freesync and why did witcher 3 decide no crossfire even though it is enabled on global settings argh...

Associate
Try a ddu and reinstall of whatever driver to get your profile working again? Shouldn't need to but it might fix it back to normal?
Thank you will give it a go tonight. Sucky thing is i need to rma the psu, so not much time for testing, and will use my 625w old psu, so to be safe ill take one vega off because i don't think it can handle 2 vegas and the 3950x.
Stock each vega was eating 240w ouch.

Also funny how the second vega was doing more mhz than the first vega. I had the first vega on 100% fan, didn't go over 59 degrees on crysis 3 and would throttle and not hit max clocks. Say stock was 1590, it would do 1400-1520. Up a bit the clock to 1610 and power limit to 50% it would do 1540-1580. Second vega left stock and it was kicking 1610 on its own. I didn't do much xfire tests yesterday because both shadow of the tomb raider and witcher 3 were being difficult. The second one I just couldn't get xfire to work, and the first one would start and then crash. I read there is an issue with SOTR and AMD MGPU setups, after i spent one hour trying settings to make it work lol.

That was on the 19.11.2 I think driver which funnily enough was working fine before. The only thing that changed was go from my 4k tv to my 3440 ultra wide. When I did that with the old drivers I didn't have freesync support because i had custom cru resolutions to overclock the UW I guess. Once i removed them I got freesync back. Then I put custom resolution in Radeon settings and kept the freesync. Roll on new drivers and bam no freesync even when i removed everything. I will DDU this thing and try again anyway.

Associate
So I managed to ddu uninstall the drivers, and the tried the 20.1.1. God nothing worked. Everygame i tried crashed horribly with xfire enabled and didn't bother to disable and try again.
DDU back and put the 19.12.2 and now things work better and witcher finally starts as is should with crossfire but its not the best.

Got of course some issues though.

Everytime I enable crossfire i get a black screen and have to hit the reset button in my case to restart. Once back in windows radeon adrenaline has Crossfire enabled. If i disable them I don't get the above, just a black screen for half a second and back to normal no need to restart...

Also for DDU i couldn't go to safe mode so did it inside windows. For some reason at the moment you choose the safe mode option the keyboard is non responsive I take it that has something to do with the USB settings in the bios or because fast boot is enabled it doesn't turn them on at that point?

Back
Top Bottom