• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
It was harder to navigate but I guess that will improve with familiarity. I didn't like the way all the OC settings were initially hidden and the sliders and dials were awful. Credit to AMD for adding in all the new features which will benefit the older cards more than ours just now, although the 56 is heading that way :mad:

Change are like that, confused a bit then familiarized and its good to go.
I like the new UI.

Associate
good afternoon people not sure if its ok to post this in here so sorry if not.
i currently have a powercolor red dragon vega 56 (nano board?) that out of the box ran 1590/800 with some tinkering using msi afterburner its now set to 1665/950 and boosts to 1650 @ around 1050mv.
few weeks back i upgraded from my old fx8350 @4.5ghz to a 2700x which was a massive boost to performance but now im wondering if there are any better cards suited to the 2700x? i dont want to pay £300-£400 to gain 5-10fps lol
ive tried watching comparison videos but most the vegas they run are not on par with mine (most are stock and lower values than my stock speeds)
i did also look into bios flashing as i know it has samsung memory but i could never get it to work, always fails with mismatched id. this leads me to why i posted (nano board?) as i did read after that these dont flash very well and if you do manage to flash it you would lose use of a DP or HDMI port cant remember which now and also you wouldnt be able to flash back to stock bios.
any info on cards or bios flashing would be greatly appreciated

paul

Associate
i currently have a powercolor red dragon vega 56 (nano board?) that out of the box ran 1590/800 with some tinkering using msi afterburner its now set to 1665/950 and boosts to 1650 @ around 1050mv.
few weeks back i upgraded from my old fx8350 @4.5ghz to a 2700x which was a massive boost to performance but now im wondering if there are any better cards suited to the 2700x? i dont want to pay £300-£400 to gain 5-10fps lol
ive tried watching comparison videos but most the vegas they run are not on par with mine (most are stock and lower values than my stock speeds)
i did also look into bios flashing as i know it has samsung memory but i could never get it to work, always fails with mismatched id. this leads me to why i posted (nano board?) as i did read after that these dont flash very well and if you do manage to flash it you would lose use of a DP or HDMI port cant remember which now and also you wouldnt be able to flash back to stock bios.

paul

I suggest keeping the card for now and overclocking the vram for a few more FPS. Samsung HBM should easily get 950mhz. Or you could try to pick up a 5700 for ~£250 in the January sales and flash to an XT

Associate

paul

I had 2700X/Vega 56 up until a few weeks ago, its a good pairing tbh, keep what you have and see what next year brings is my advice. I only switched my GPU because of stuttering in a particular game. My CPU upgrade was more for streaming/video encoding.

For just gaming you have a nice setup, maybe do a RAM or M.2/SSD upgrade if needed while prices are good?

Associate
I suggest keeping the card for now and overclocking the vram for a few more FPS. Samsung HBM should easily get 950mhz. Or you could try to pick up a 5700 for ~£250 in the January sales and flash to an XT

He did.

set to 1665/950 and ...

Personally I wouldn't spend money on 5700, it's an upgrade sure, but barely. So unless he needs something like 2080/ti performance, and I do mean NEEDS, there shouldn't be a reason to buy anything lesser for a 0.5-1 worth of a GPU generation jump.

Associate
He did.

Personally I wouldn't spend money on 5700, it's an upgrade sure, but barely. So unless he needs something like 2080/ti performance, and I do mean NEEDS, there shouldn't be a reason to buy anything lesser for a 0.5-1 worth of a GPU generation jump.

Yeah saw that after posting. Teach me to try to read on my phone without my glasses on :confused:

Personally I completely agree that jumping from a Vega to Navi is not worth it. Prob a 15% improvement at best. I'm waiting to see what the next gen Navi looks like - hopefully will be a bigger performance jump and ray tracing support. Some folks like to upgrade each generation though and if I was in the market for a mid range gfx card just now without spending £300, I'd be flashing the 5700 if I could get one cheap enough in the sales.

Associate
Thank you so much for the replies. I'm very happy with everything i was just curious if there was a better fit lol
i was a little gutted i couldnt flash the bios as ive read the HMB can hit well over 1000mhz but with that being said after reading some more i dont see the point if its going to naff a DP or HDMI port.
This is the best spec'ed pc ive ever built although i did make a balls up on my ram choice (hynix and not samsung) but it will do for now.
next thing on the list is a meshify s2 which i will be ordering next week

Thank you all again for taking the time to answer

Paul

Associate
Thank you so much for the replies. I'm very happy with everything i was just curious if there was a better fit lol
i was a little gutted i couldnt flash the bios as ive read the HMB can hit well over 1000mhz but with that being said after reading some more i dont see the point if its going to naff a DP or HDMI port.
This is the best spec'ed pc ive ever built although i did make a balls up on my ram choice (hynix and not samsung) but it will do for now.
next thing on the list is a meshify s2 which i will be ordering next week

Thank you all again for taking the time to answer

Paul

You're welcome and glad you're enjoying your rig. I've been very happy with my Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse which I've paired with a Core i5 9600k on a Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390. I love the overclockability of the Vega 56 which I've found to be most optimal with an OC of 1637MHz @ 1025mV for the gpu, 980MHz for the HBM and a 15% power limit. This gives me a 10% performance boost in BL3 over balanced which is well worth it. It will run happily at 1662/980/50% but power draw, heat and fan noise are not worth it for the 1 extra FPS it gives in BL3.

I have a question about your case choice if I may? Are you running a large custom liquid cooling loop? If not you may want to consider the Meshify C instead of the S2 as is cheaper and more compact for standard builds with the same thermals. I have the C and highly recommend it. I've fitted the 2 supplied 120mm fans on the top and 2 x Noctua NF-A14 140mm fans at the front to create positive pressure. It comfortably fits my massive Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler and the gfx card. This video comparing the S2 and C is worth a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZx4GDQEBTc

Associate
thank you for the link
im not running one at the minute but it is something im currently researching as ive never done clc but would like to in the future. im currently using some a corsair 100 something or other and well put it this way i had to take a 140mm whole saw to the front panel to help temps lol. temps wise now everything is good but its just tight and crap cable management and im fed up of cutting my knuckles open when having to go inside hahaha
i kinda figured the meshify s2 would be a good future proof case as no matter what cooling or motherboard upgrades i decide to do in the future it should be able to handle it
thank you again for replying, im going to go make a coffee and watch you link

Paul

Associate
i kinda figured the meshify s2 would be a good future proof case as no matter what cooling or motherboard upgrades i decide to do in the future it should be able to handle it

Paul
Agreed, it's a great case. Although I suspect after you've been looking at all that empty space for a day or two, you'll be ordering a custom loop PDQ :D

Associate
Agreed, it's a great case. Although I suspect after you've been looking at all that empty space for a day or two, you'll be ordering a custom loop PDQ :D

hahahah yeah probably but tbh clc wouldnt even be an option for me till at least march/april as my pockets aint that deep and ive decided im defo getting a case next

Paul

Associate
I'm at wits end with this Vega 56 now (MSI airboost)

Has anyone ever figured out the Black screen + 100 fan error, and BSOD Thread_stuck_in_device_driver?

I reckon it's just a guff card at this point. But it's weird because some drivers seem a hell of a lot more stable than others. I thought it would have been my ****** old mobo and 2500k, but it did the same on my dads ryzen 1600 system.

Associate

Has anyone ever figured out the Black screen + 100 fan error, and BSOD Thread_stuck_in_device_driver?

I reckon it's just a guff card at this point. But it's weird because some drivers seem a hell of a lot more stable than others. I thought it would have been my ****** old mobo and 2500k, but it did the same on my dads ryzen 1600 system.

I had this problem with my gigabyte model, I never fixed it after a year of tweaking. I'd suggest getting a replacement under warranty if you can.

Unless of course you are happy tinkering until you can get that sweet spot in the settings.

Associate
How old is it? Is it still under warranty?

It was purchased in feb this year from OCUK.

EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2. It's a couple of years old but I had no issue with my old 1060 or any incling that it's the PSU at fault.

Done the usual cable swap and tried different ports (it's a modular)

I had this problem with my gigabyte model, I never fixed it after a year of tweaking. I'd suggest getting a replacement under warranty if you can.

Unless of course you are happy tinkering until you can get that sweet spot in the settings.

Honestly it's what I feared, just a quick search online sees thread after thread of the same issue. And it seems the 5700 series is having the same problem now?

The most stable driver I've seen is 19.10.2, but I'm wondering if it's placebo on my part as the release notes mentioned it's been fixed. But the newer drivers brought it back with a vengeance. And I don't think it's really feasible to be stuck on "old" drivers for the rest of the cards lifespan. Shame really as bang for buck it's a beast of a card.

Associate
Bought a cheap used Vega 56 reference single blower card, arrived earlier today, I have tested the card with heaven benchmark (no overclock,tested in a low temp air con office) the temps in general are 78, which seem to be different from most of the reviews I read for the same reference edition card, where they state closer to 71 degrees at load, the card has not been opened before and repasted as the original warranty seals are still intact......I know 78 degrees is perfectly safe temp for the card.

I was pondering a couple of things, with the drivers been improved since the cards release, are the temps perhaps a little higher as the card is working harder due to the improved drivers?

I did change the fan speeds in Afterburner and that made a nice difference, so perhaps a custom curve would be good too.

Has anyone else opened up and repasted their card? If so did it knock a good few degrees off of the temp?

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone else opened up and repasted their card? If so did it knock a good few degrees off of the temp?
I had a reference Vega 64 for a while and repasting it with Kryonaut shaved a few degrees off. Undervolting it on top of that was the biggest deal though. Once I'd done that (which resulted in higher clocks than stock), it sat in the high 60s to low 70s with the default fan curve. Just try and pull the cooler straight up gently when you remove it, as the thermal pads are the stiff kind that's sort of like a putty and they rip and deform very easily. It's not a huge deal, but it saves some time reforming and fixing them. Also obviously be extremely careful cleaning the old thermal paste off if you have an unmoulded die.

Also, you can actually open the card up without breaking the warranty sticker if you want to. Take the backplate off, then remove the three screws in the tension brace that don't have a sticker. You can then simply turn the brace itself to unscrew the other screw (and the opposite when reassembling it). Leaves the sticker perfectly intact. Some board partners do use two though, so it won't work in that case obviously.

Last edited:
Associate

I am also about at my wits end with my MSI Airboost OC. Seems no matter what, it just will never be fully stable. Sometimes I can go days without a crash. Then...boom...crash city. It sucks because when it isn't crashing it's a great card.

Back
Top Bottom