• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
I had a reference Vega 64 for a while and repasting it with Kryonaut shaved a few degrees off. Undervolting it on top of that was the biggest deal though. Once I'd done that (which resulted in higher clocks than stock), it sat in the high 60s to low 70s with the default fan curve. Just try and pull the cooler straight up gently when you remove it, as the thermal pads are the stiff kind that's sort of like a putty and they rip and deform very easily. It's not a huge deal, but it saves some time reforming and fixing them. Also obviously be extremely careful cleaning the old thermal paste off if you have an unmoulded die.

Also, you can actually open the card up without breaking the warranty sticker if you want to. Take the backplate off, then remove the three screws in the tension brace that don't have a sticker. You can then simply turn the brace itself to unscrew the other screw (and the opposite when reassembling it). Leaves the sticker perfectly intact. Some board partners do use two though, so it won't work in that case obviously.

Wow, thank you for your reply, in particular the 3 screw trick with the bracket, I must admit the cards past owner appears to of been a smoker, I cleaned up the fan and removed a wealth of gunk, that brought the temps down a few degrees, I might just try and take the top off the card and clean the fan fully, is that possible?

Soldato
Wow, thank you for your reply, in particular the 3 screw trick with the bracket, I must admit the cards past owner appears to of been a smoker, I cleaned up the fan and removed a wealth of gunk, that brought the temps down a few degrees, I might just try and take the top off the card and clean the fan fully, is that possible?
Yeah, you can completely disassemble the top part and take the fan and heatsink out to clean them. Can't remember the exact process, but I had it all apart when I did it.

Associate
I am also about at my wits end with my MSI Airboost OC. Seems no matter what, it just will never be fully stable. Sometimes I can go days without a crash. Then...boom...crash city. It sucks because when it isn't crashing it's a great card.

Must be faulty cards. It's unreal how common this seems to be!

What's your system? CPU -Mobo -PSU?

Also, anyone had RMA experience with OCUK?

Associate
B
Yeah, you can completely disassemble the top part and take the fan and heatsink out to clean them. Can't remember the exact process, but I had it all apart when I did it.

Brilliant, I might not take the retention bracket off and just clean out the fan fully and remove any gunk.

I shall watch a disassembly guide on YouTube, if that does not help further, then I shall repaste the gpu, I've repasted plenty of GPUs in the past, but I got the sense from your posts that the Vega 56 is different?

Soldato
I'm fed up of the insane coil whine on my Vega 56 pulse. I've tried a few things including under clocking but not made a difference. What are my other options aside from changing PSU? I haven't tried applying a global FPS limit yet.

Debating switching to Nvidia, even if it's just a sidegrade not a better equivalent.

Associate
Try the FPS cap first you can set that either in game or in the drivers. I had really bad coil whine on a new power supply. I changed it to a EVGA and now no coil Whine.

Associate
I'm fed up of the insane coil whine on my Vega 56 pulse. I've tried a few things including under clocking but not made a difference. What are my other options aside from changing PSU? I haven't tried applying a global FPS limit yet.

Debating switching to Nvidia, even if it's just a sidegrade not a better equivalent.

Have you undervolted? Wearing earphones/headset may block the noise

Mine buzzes under load but I'm not that bothered. You could sell it and get a 5700, then flash it with the 5700 XT bios for an okay upgrade. It would be worth looking on the Navi thread to see how many Navi owners have coil whine.

Soldato
Have you undervolted? Wearing earphones/headset may block the noise

Mine buzzes under load but I'm not that bothered. You could sell it and get a 5700, then flash it with the 5700 XT bios for an okay upgrade. It would be worth looking on the Navi thread to see how many Navi owners have coil whine.

Ye I did try undervolting, didn't seem to make a difference.

Will try FPS capping and seeing if that helps

Soldato
Do you need the power limit all the way to +50? I think i had mine 25 as otherwise the undervolt is just gona use the powerlimit thing to draw more than what u wanted the undervolt to draw. I think.

Associate
Do you need the power limit all the way to +50? I think i had mine 25 as otherwise the undervolt is just gona use the powerlimit thing to draw more than what u wanted the undervolt to draw. I think.

If I dropped below +50 I noticed the card would throttle slightly. Perhaps there is a better balance to be found between +power and volts.

Soldato
Took the underclock off as ive been testing a profile with 1100mv on the p7 state 1602 as in gta 5 ive had a inconsistant framerate and felt slowness and not smooth with a 1050-1070mv at 1602 (default clock basically on pulse) and when i put it to 1100mv it was a lot smoother and then i thought isnt vega suppose to be really good with managing all this in the first place so i just took off the core and just kept the vram at 900 instead of 800 at 1000mv and be done with it and lo and behold smoothness. Similar effect in x4 foundations.

Dont think im gona mess with cores anymore it might be stable as in not crash and it might give more fps sometimes but i want stability and smoothness so..

And there was me thinking it was just cos my cpu was on high usage and causing things like not quite right smoothness etc and limited to 4 cores. Nope.

Mainly saying this incase ppl fancy just trying with clocks left alone and let it do its thing and see if u get smoother gameplay out of it instead of reaching for high clocks or more fps or lower power usage which it should handle itself from what i read somewhere, forgot link tho.

Edit -

Hmm some reason after relaunching the game and having a drive then shoot out fps tanked a bit, afterburner said before when i forgot i had pd on 50% it went to 270 which is like woah so i turned it to 5% but then that happened and max was 180. Grrrrrrr..... Also how it did 270 as max even tho graph didnt show that before, confuses the heck out of me. Could be why it ran smoother haha.

Tired now of messing with it today so leaving it till another time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Took the underclock off as ive been testing a profile with 1100mv on the p7 state 1602 as in gta 5 ive had a inconsistant framerate and felt slowness and not smooth with a 1050-1070mv at 1602 (default clock basically on pulse) and when i put it to 1100mv it was a lot smoother and then i thought isnt vega suppose to be really good with managing all this in the first place so i just took off the core and just kept the vram at 900 instead of 800 at 1000mv and be done with it and lo and behold smoothness. Similar effect in x4 foundations.

Dont think im gona mess with cores anymore it might be stable as in not crash and it might give more fps sometimes but i want stability and smoothness so..

And there was me thinking it was just cos my cpu was on high usage and causing things like not quite right smoothness etc and limited to 4 cores. Nope.

Mainly saying this incase ppl fancy just trying with clocks left alone and let it do its thing and see if u get smoother gameplay out of it instead of reaching for high clocks or more fps or lower power usage which it should handle itself from what i read somewhere, forgot link tho.

I gave up on underclocking due to intermittent instability in games. In the end I just upped the memory speed, power limit, turned on chill, and left everything else at default settings and found the performance/heat/noise wasn't really any different. Everything is now totally stable instead of games crashing to desktop.

Soldato
Hey @Steampunk

What pl did u use for default clocks? Do u use auto or manual for volts for the ram when turned up and what would be best for chill as never really used it before ive set it to 40min 60max (monitor can do 75hz) i thought that might work ok. Does chill work in global or just per profile as that would be annoying to have to set per game all the time.

Soldato
Hey @Steampunk

What pl did u use for default clocks? Do u use auto or manual for volts for the ram when turned up and what would be best for chill as never really used it before ive set it to 40min 60max (monitor can do 75hz) i thought that might work ok. Does chill work in global or just per profile as that would be annoying to have to set per game all the time.

If you're lazy like me, just leave everything at auto as a starting point, turn the RAM between 900-950 depending on stability, then add a power limit to +50. You would set chill in the global settings, and then that will roll into individual game profiles as you make new ones. I would always set the upper limit to the limit of the monitor, so go with that and see how you get on.

You can always try the autotune settings, but they never seemed to be game stable for me.

Associate
Can someone guide me to where is the crossfire option in the new radeon 2020?
I had to revert to the 2019 version because I couldn't find the option and crossfire wasn't working. I got 2 x vega 56 Nitros one is the LM edition

Soldato
Just tried gta 4 gay tony at 5xxx x 3xxx res as 1440p had micro stutter, lol. Still was 75fps vsync on but the power draw of my vega 56 was 270w lol and was a bit toasty at 70-80 range. I tried the max upscaling thing on amd i could to try to get gpu going and reduce cpu usage cos the higher the res the more gpu works and the cpu does less works, sorta lol. That engine has a major issue with cpus tho, i dont think the gpu is the cause at all for the micro stutter which i think why it was smoother the more res u pump into it.

Back
Top Bottom