• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
Urgh, still tearing my hair out about this.

Part of me is wondering if, maybe, it's an Unreal Engine issue with my setup somehow? The offenders, PUBG and Dirty Bomb, run on UE4 and UE3 respectively. ESO, which I run at max and haven't had any problems with, is on Havok. Witcher 3 - again, no problems or artifacts - is REDengine. Onward, a VR game I play, uses Unity. But ARK, which I've been playing on High and uses UE4, has not had any issues other than dodgy shadows which I've always had. DOOM runs fine using the idTech6 engine with no artifacts.

I went ahead and downloaded the Superpositon benchmarker and Heaven since both run on UE. Ran Heaven for a good hour without any issues graphical artifacts, hangs or crashes that I noted. Ran the Superposition benchmark through Medium and High settings for the same result: no graphical artifacts whatsoever.

pgxysvJ.png

faJAQWI.png

Running Furmark for an hour also produces no visual artifacts at all.

Aside from the benchmarkers, the most graphically-intensive games I'm running are Witcher 3, DOOM, ESO and PUBG - three of these four don't have artifacts of any kind in the hours that I've been watching for them. PUBG is pretty greedy, sure, but Dirty Bomb's graphics aren't the most modern or GPU-hungry...

EDIT: Launched the Superposition 'Game mode' and immediately got the issues that I'm seeing in PUBG and Dirty Bomb. It froze my PC, and caused me to hard-reset it.

https://youtu.be/evYug18EN98

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, Scan returned it to me about half an hour ago - not bad since they said it wouldn't arrive until the New Year!

I've ran DDU, deleted C:\AMD, rebooted without installing drivers and am downloading Adrenaline now.

Double-checked BIOS to make sure no weird stuff running; and am on the High Performance power setting in Windows.

Will update.

EDIT: Well, I booted up PUBG and started getting the same issues I was having before the RMA...

Haven't touched Wattman settings; made sure that the cables are seated properly, as well as the card into MoBo.

don't use Adrenalin drivers.

Ok, download 17.11.1 drivers. (If you have a Ryzen CPU, download the latest chipset drivers too)

Download the AMD uninstall utility too.

Go into safe mode. Run the AMD tool, do not reboot, then run DDU and remove all the AMD drivers.

Restart, if you have a Ryzen CPU, install the latest chipset drivers then reboot.

on the reboot, install the 17.11.1 drivers.

Test games.

Associate
don't use Adrenalin drivers.

Ok, download 17.11.1 drivers. (If you have a Ryzen CPU, download the latest chipset drivers too)

Download the AMD uninstall utility too.

Go into safe mode. Run the AMD tool, do not reboot, then run DDU and remove all the AMD drivers.

Restart, if you have a Ryzen CPU, install the latest chipset drivers then reboot.

on the reboot, install the 17.11.1 drivers.

Test games.

Thanks Melmac.

I did as instructed, and managed to play through an entire match of PUBG (and get a chicken dinner no less!) without any graphical artifacts.

I'll try out DB and see if they pop up. I don't wanna jinx it and say "You've cured the problems, yay!" but so far, so good!

Soldato
Thanks Melmac.

I did as instructed, and managed to play through an entire match of PUBG (and get a chicken dinner no less!) without any graphical artifacts.

I'll try out DB and see if they pop up. I don't wanna jinx it and say "You've cured the problems, yay!" but so far, so good!

I hope it works for you. I really do. Let me know how you get on.

Associate
I hope it works for you. I really do. Let me know how you get on.

Okay, so PUBG and Dirty Bomb running fine. Haven't noticed any more artifacts. Yet.

However, I get weird artifacts inside Furmark now - like sudden lines emanating from an object. I tried out my Oculus to see how it performed, and I ran through the tutorial fine - but noticed one or two of the same.

Witcher 3 ran fine without issue, as before. So did ESO.

I'm gonna try a test stream using OBS and a VR game - that should be stressful enough. I'll let you know how it goes. Not out of the woods yet.

EDIT: And the issues are back. Small particles at first, then the huge lens-flare type lights in PUBG, and smaller versions in Dirty Bomb.

Last edited:
Soldato
Okay, so PUBG and Dirty Bomb running fine. Haven't noticed any more artifacts. Yet.

However, I get weird artifacts inside Furmark now - like sudden lines emanating from an object. I tried out my Oculus to see how it performed, and I ran through the tutorial fine - but noticed one or two of the same.

Witcher 3 ran fine without issue, as before. So did ESO.

I'm gonna try a test stream using OBS and a VR game - that should be stressful enough. I'll let you know how it goes. Not out of the woods yet.

EDIT: And the issues are back. Small particles at first, then the huge lens-flare type lights in PUBG, and smaller versions in Dirty Bomb.

Damn, definitely sounds like a faulty card. Have you a second PCIe slot? might be worth switching to it and see what happens.

The only other thing you can do is try it in another computer. Is there nobody that lives close to you that you could try it out?

Associate
Damn, definitely sounds like a faulty card. Have you a second PCIe slot? might be worth switching to it and see what happens.

The only other thing you can do is try it in another computer. Is there nobody that lives close to you that you could try it out?

I've got a second slot, but I might have to sacrifice a SATA port to fit it in...

Nope - immediate family use laptops...

EDIT: So, about a half hour ago things just went ****-up. Started getting major artifacting in ARK (and stupidly forgot to record it for Scan). Tested it in the second PCI-E port - same results.

I've swapped it out for my R9 390 'ol Faithful, and have boxed up the Vega 56 to return to Scan. Again. I'm including a URL to a playlist of all the issues I've had on Youtube in the hopes they'll see the problem.

If they turn around again and say "No fault found", I don't know where to go from there. Other than owning a £400 paperweight...

Last edited:
Associate
Success!

TvyTpkX.png

Spoke to support this morning asking what's next.

They said that they'll send me a replacement, but I'll have to wait until the end of the month when they get their stocks in.

I didn't ask if it'll be a replacement reference card or not. Would be a nice surprise if it wasn't.

Associate
Any thoughts on how to protect yourself when selling this way? The most expensive thing I've sold on eBay is 100 so a bit wary.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts, equally if anyone can convince me this a stupid idea too?

I never sell anything on eBay before but have to do it this time due to crazy card price. :D:D

I will make sure I do the following when selling the card:

1) sell on eBay and only accept payment via PayPal.
2) take notice of the card serial number, on the card and on the box
3) use special delivery with full tracking and get insurance to cover the card.

Soldato
Success!

TvyTpkX.png

Spoke to support this morning asking what's next.

They said that they'll send me a replacement, but I'll have to wait until the end of the month when they get their stocks in.

I didn't ask if it'll be a replacement reference card or not. Would be a nice surprise if it wasn't.

Well, it's a big downer to get a broken card. But, at least it is a faulty card and they agreed.

Hope you get a custom one too. :) Everyone deserves a bit of luck.

Associate
Well, it's a big downer to get a broken card. But, at least it is a faulty card and they agreed.

Hope you get a custom one too. :) Everyone deserves a bit of luck.

I'm not sure what's gonna happen.

The card I sent back is now listed as 'End of Life' on their page;

aolAIos.png

I'm just happy they agreed to honour it.

Associate
I'm not sure what's gonna happen.

The card I sent back is now listed as 'End of Life' on their page;

aolAIos.png

I'm just happy they agreed to honour it.

I believe that they have stopped producing the reference boards over the last week weeks hence reference being end of life.

Custom boards are very much alive I think.

Associate
Welp, they're not giving me a replacement card anymore - instead, they're opting for a credit refund.

"Unfortunately we are no longer able to replace this item due to it being end of life. As such I have authorised a full refund back to yourself. This has been passed to our accounts department and should be processed shortly."

Now, I can save up a wee bit more for the after-market V56 or get a Rx 580.

Associate
Welp, they're not giving me a replacement card anymore - instead, they're opting for a credit refund.

"Unfortunately we are no longer able to replace this item due to it being end of life. As such I have authorised a full refund back to yourself. This has been passed to our accounts department and should be processed shortly."

This is bad for you because the price in current market you don't have much of a choice

Associate

Just wait for the next nvidia card, if you don't need one right now.

Associate
This is bad for you because the price in current market you don't have much of a choice

Yeah. Not great, tbh.

Scan has a few after-market Vegas on pre-order for the 31st of January at £750 - the Sapphire Nitro+ caught my eye, but it's got 3 8-pin connectors D:

I don't think I'd see that much difference going from my R9 390 to a RX 580 - it'd be slight IIRC?

I don't fancy Nvidia at all - I swore way-back-when that I'd never buy another based on their pricing tactics. AMD were always the cost efficient choice for me :p

Back
Top Bottom