• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
@ Panos I'm like you, tweakers unite haha.

I just settle on these now for 24/7 gaming. Breaks 26k with ease, hits around 1670mhz on the core at peak and only burns 278w at absolute max. Can keep temps down under 40c on both core and HBM. Hotspot at it's peak is 68c.

Soldato

I just settle on these now for 24/7 gaming. Breaks 26k with ease, hits around 1670mhz on the core at peak and only burns 278w at absolute max. Can keep temps down under 40c on both core and HBM. Hotspot at it's peak is 68c.

My Nitro doesn't like the 950mv setting. Anything bellow 1000mv and the ram clocks to 800Mhz giving me this score

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/16689110

If I put it to 1000mv it goes to 1100 as normal, I get this

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/16689164

Hmm food for thought tbh.

Soldato
My Nitro doesn't like the 950mv setting. Anything bellow 1000mv and the ram clocks to 800Mhz giving me this score

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/16689110

If I put it to 1000mv it goes to 1100 as normal, I get this

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/16689164

Hmm food for thought tbh.

interesting. Not seen my HBM speed drop to 800mhz since launch week. I've always just kept that at 950, even when hitting 1125mhz memory clock for the bench runs. https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/28220951?

Permabanned
@nashathedog

With your posted image
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/29376273

Graphics Score 26 395
Total 21315

The card works at around 1666.

With 1110mv on P7 and 1050mv on the minimum as you said.
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/29376451

Graphics Score 26 518
Total 21353.

The card works at around 1676-1677.
And didn't saw the card going over 278W either. Pretty cool settings mate.

You're getting great results that are likely due to the HBM clocks, I can push my memory higher but with the voltage bump and being on air it makes the fans louder than I like for 24/7 use.

Permabanned

:eek: Wow! You have your HBM running at 1100 with just 950 voltage.

Did you test it on air before putting it under water? If so how did it do?

After seeing your HBM numbers yesterday I decided to try lowering mine. I've already dropped the core clock to 1687 due to Dirt Rally crashing while actually playing the game. The HBM's still clocked at 1045 at the moment but I dropped the HBM voltage to 1030, Then I did 2 back to back runs of Heaven, 2 b2b runs of Superposition, 2 b2b runs of the Dirt Rally bench, a 20 minute loop of the F1 2018 bench and an hour plus playing Strange Brigade. It was fine with all of that so today I'm going to either knock the HBM voltage down a bit more or push the clock higher. My goal's a 100% stable 24/7 clock that's as quiet as possible. I was seeing my temps in the low or mid 70's with the lower HBM voltage yesterday.

Soldato
:eek: Wow! You have your HBM running at 1100 with just 950 voltage.

Did you test it on air before putting it under water? If so how did it do?

After seeing your HBM numbers yesterday I decided to try lowering mine. I've already dropped the core clock to 1687 due to Dirt Rally crashing while actually playing the game. The HBM's still clocked at 1045 at the moment but I dropped the HBM voltage to 1030, Then I did 2 back to back runs of Heaven, 2 b2b runs of Superposition, 2 b2b runs of the Dirt Rally bench, a 20 minute loop of the F1 2018 bench and an hour plus playing Strange Brigade. It was fine with all of that so today I'm going to either knock the HBM voltage down a bit more or push the clock higher. My goal's a 100% stable 24/7 clock that's as quiet as possible. I was seeing my temps in the low or mid 70's with the lower HBM voltage yesterday.

Yes mate. It will actually go to 1120mhz before I need to up the voltage which is why I conservatively back off a touch for gaming. It will actually do 1160mhz when I give it 980mv, but then my core doesn't clock as high (hits around 70mhz short of the actual setting compared to only 30mhz with 1100mhz).

For 24/7 usage I find my above settings to be absolute golden. Temps never pass over 41c on both core and mem, hotspot I don't think I've ever seen past 68c after a long spell gaming when I've looked at HwInfo for the highest numbers. Core hits 1670mhz and only uses around 270w give or take, and HBM never dips from 1100mhz. Absolutely love my card. When I bench I really wind her up, but for me the gaming experience at lower temps, solid clock speeds is far more pleasing to see than trying to give the card absolute beans all the time.

And to answer your question about when I had it on air with ref blower.....it was a hot loud pig lol. Only ever got to 1580/1050 I think, temps were way to high, was way to loud etc, it was hell waiting for all the EK stuff to arrive, did not enjoy the card at all out of the box for the first week or two after launch.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yes mate. It will actually go to 1120mhz before I need to up the voltage which is why I conservatively back off a touch for gaming. It will actually do 1160mhz when I give it 980mv, but then my core doesn't clock as high (hits around 70mhz short of the actual setting compared to only 30mhz with 1100mhz).

For 24/7 usage I find my above settings to be absolute golden. Temps never pass over 41c on both core and mem, hotspot I don't think I've ever seen past 68c after a long spell gaming when I've looked at HwInfo for the highest numbers. Core hits 1670mhz and only uses around 270w give or take, and HBM never dips from 1100mhz. Absolutely love my card. When I bench I really wind her up, but for me the gaming experience at lower temps, solid clock speeds is far more pleasing to see than trying to give the card absolute beans all the time.

And to answer your question about when I had it on air with ref blower.....it was a hot loud pig lol. Only ever got to 1580/1050 I think, temps were way to high, was way to loud etc, it was hell waiting for all the EK stuff to arrive, did not enjoy the card at all out of the box for the first week or two after launch.

That's a difference going from air to water, I just did a couple of Firestrike extreme runs, 1 superposition, 1 heaven and I've been playing Strange Brigade for around an hour and a half with the core at 1687 and the HBM at 1060, the voltages were 1110 & 1030 respectively, GPU-z gave me an average core speed of 1622 and a max core temp of 78 while playing the game, Oddly since lowering the HBM voltage GPU-z's been reporting much higher max HBM temps, It states that the HBM hit a max of 98 while playing Strange Brigade but running the pointer across the bar shows it sitting in the low 80's mostly. I'm going to try Dirt Rally now as that's the one that seems to dislike me pushing my overclock.

There's a big difference between out of box Vega's and tweaked Vega's, I get that AMD and the Board Partners can't sit there tweaking every card before selling them but if they'd made people aware of the need to tweak and how much of a difference it could make I reckon Vega would have been better received by the enthusiasts who are more likely to buy and tweak high-end cards.

EDIT, I just tried Dirt Rally, I did 4 stages in MonteCarlo, 4 stages in Finland and it crashed at the very end of the 3rd stage in Sweden forcing me to reboot the PC. I think I'll do Dirt Rally a profile in Wattman and keep settings as they are to see if anything else crashes. If they don't I'll just use the lowered setting for DR.

I hadn't tried to set a Wattman Profile until today, It works a lot better than I thought it would, I set up the profile and then enabled it, I was expecting to have to start the game via Wattman for the profile to work but it works fine using the games desktop shortcut which is a bonus.
The more I learn about the Adrenalin software the more I like it.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a difference going from air to water, I just did a couple of Firestrike extreme runs, 1 superposition, 1 heaven and I've been playing Strange Brigade for around an hour and a half with the core at 1687 and the HBM at 1060, the voltages were 1110 & 1030 respectively, GPU-z gave me an average core speed of 1622 and a max core temp of 78 while playing the game, Oddly since lowering the HBM voltage GPU-z's been reporting much higher max HBM temps, It states that the HBM hit a max of 98 while playing Strange Brigade but running the pointer across the bar shows it sitting in the low 80's mostly. I'm going to try Dirt Rally now as that's the one that seems to dislike me pushing my overclock.

There's a big difference between out of box Vega's and tweaked Vega's, I get that AMD and the Board Partners can't sit there tweaking every card before selling them but if they'd made people aware of the need to tweak and how much of a difference it could make I reckon Vega would have been better received by the enthusiasts who are more likely to buy and tweak high-end cards.

Must say that reference cards could benefit better under water than something like the Nitro+
I cannot see any perf gains going under water tbh compared to air, only that the system is quieter, with the Predator at 50% fan speed

Also using Soft Tables is impossible with the Nitro .

Last edited:
Soldato
Must say that reference cards could benefit better under water than something like the Nitro+
I cannot see any perf gains going under water tbh compared to air, only that the system is quieter, with the Predator at 50% fan speed

Also using Soft Tables is impossible with the Nitro .

Have to say reference pcb's suffer with extreme coil buzz, my peasant v64 ("p64") and this lc64 both suffer exactly the same characteristics. I've tried 3 different psu's, i will try a different mboard just to rule out pcie slot power. I'd say that reference doesn't benefit any better over an aib pcb, but I do think that maybe reference have higher quality hbm modules, P64 manages 1150 and lc64 manages 1150 in gaming, or I was just lucky.

My p64 can actually clock higher than the lc64, so what I might do is swap the LC cooler onto the P64 pcb.

Like you say the only advantage to real water/aio is the quietness and low temps, with no clock step down due to not going over over 50c temp.

Back
Top Bottom