• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
BTW seems Vega 64 is out of production, according to Gibbo.

Interesting, because the consensus is that nothing's coming except Polaris on 12nm. Either there's a big stockpile of Vega (which I find unlikely given after the last time AMD got bitten by the mining bubble bursting, they've been very careful not to oversupply Vega and be stuck with stock), or there's something high end close to fill the space of Vega.

Soldato
so i asked a while back if my 650 psu would cut the mustard with a vega64 and the general opinion was 'maybe'....as a result i kind of let the notion of upgrading my 380x slide, but now i see the red devil on today only @449 and the temptaion is building again.

someone tell me that there's no point ;)

rest of the system specs are
Ryzen 1600 @3.7 or 3.8 (can't remember which)
gaming on a lg monitor @1920x1080 144hz
650 superflower platinum psu

come on, tell it's silly getting a vega64 for the above!
I have a lower quality PSU (an old Corsair TX650W) than yours and have no problem running Vega64 overclocked, so I can't see how you cannot run the Vega64 with yours.

The key thing to note is for the connecting to the Vega64 2x 8pins, it'd be best and recommended to have each of the two 8-pin power drawing power from separate cables from the PSU, rather than connecting to two 8-pins from the same cable from the PSU.

Soldato
....Come on, tell it's silly getting a vega64 for the above!
It's not silly, but a year after release of Vega or over 2 years after the gtx1080, you have to question if the price and performance is actually good. Vega should be v56£275 v64 £350, but it was too expensive to manufacture.

Permabanned
I have a lower quality PSU (an old Corsair TX650W) than yours and have no problem running Vega64 overclocked, so I can't see how you cannot run the Vega64 with yours.

The key thing to note is for the connecting to the Vega64 2x 8pins, it'd be best and recommended to have each of the two 8-pin power drawing power from separate cables from the PSU, rather than connecting to two 8-pins from the same cable from the PSU.

I think it can vary from chip to chip, and by quite a lot, It sounds like you got one of the good ones, I've had four different Vega's, One wouldn't overclock with a 3 month old Gold rated 650 watt EVGA G2 psu or a 5 year old bronze rated 850 watt TX psu, Any sort of overclock resulted in a system crash, mind you I wasn't under volting like I am now, That might of fixed it but as far as I'm concerned if a card won't run at it's stock settings it's faulty and on this occasion it couldn't run with either of those psu's with the turbo mode on and all that does is increase the power limit by 15%.

Soldato
It's not silly, but a year after release of Vega or over 2 years after the gtx1080, you have to question if the price and performance is actually good. Vega should be v56£275 v64 £350, but it was too expensive to manufacture.
all gpus are massively over priced whether they are too expensive to manufacture or not. personally i think the £/perf especially on the vega is as good as it's going to get @ £450. even if i pulled the 6 numbers on the euro millions tonight i wouldn't touch nvidia's offerings as they are blatantly taking the pee with their prices (admittedly that's due to lack of competition). so i'm stuck with amd. an rx580 is over priced at ~£250 and doesn't offer enough of an upgrade for the cost imo so vega it is.

but more importantly you are meant to be telling me that a vega64 is wasted on me.....i'm looking reasons not to buy one (current £/perf sadly isn't one as for me personally it's as good as it's going to get)

Soldato
all gpus are massively over priced whether they are too expensive to manufacture or not. personally i think the £/perf especially on the vega is as good as it's going to get @ £450. even if i pulled the 6 numbers on the euro millions tonight i wouldn't touch nvidia's offerings as they are blatantly taking the pee with their prices (admittedly that's due to lack of competition). so i'm stuck with amd. an rx580 is over priced at ~£250 and doesn't offer enough of an upgrade for the cost imo so vega it is.

but more importantly you are meant to be telling me that a vega64 is wasted on me.....i'm looking reasons not to buy one (current £/perf sadly isn't one as for me personally it's as good as it's going to get)

Yes, Nvidia are taking the Mick agree.
However you are still excluding the fact, that you could have had this perfomance and had a years worth of gaming with vega for the same price last August, or paid the £600 odd for the 1080 or a little later when they dropped to 400-450ish and had nearly 2 years worth of performance.

It's upto you, you'll be happy with it. I just think it's a bad time to buy into old tech.

Soldato
It's upto you, you'll be happy with it. I just think it's a bad time to buy into old tech.
oh that i wholeheartedly agree and it's this that has held me back from upgrading alreadt - i keep telling myself i'm fine with the 380x and freesync monitor but something keeps niggling at me to jump onboard with vega - even if it is 12months old.
the only other option is to hold off until either nvidia reduce their prices (never going to happen) or wait till amd pull their finger out, so to speak, with gpus. that, from what i've read, is looking to be a year away for enthusiast cards.

Soldato
oh that i wholeheartedly agree and it's this that has held me back from upgrading alreadt - i keep telling myself i'm fine with the 380x and freesync monitor but something keeps niggling at me to jump onboard with vega - even if it is 12months old.
the only other option is to hold off until either nvidia reduce their prices (never going to happen) or wait till amd pull their finger out, so to speak, with gpus. that, from what i've read, is looking to be a year away for enthusiast cards.
Amd will just respin all current tiers with refreshes and the prices will go up too, it's all Amd have achieved in the last 5 years.
Nvidia will just be greedy with their Tu106.
So yeah it's either buy a 2nd hand 1070/1080, vega56/64. Or buy a new v56/64 or sit out until a deal turns up really.

Soldato
come on, tell it's silly getting a vega64 for the above!

Why? Is a descent CPU that will work nicely with the Vega 64.
And you can always buy a FS monitor cheaper than a Gsync one. True your 1080p 144hz monitor is too weak to handle the Vega 64, however with AMD you can cap the FPS to 144 and consume less power also without using vsync or third party tools that are hit or miss.

Soldato
Interesting, because the consensus is that nothing's coming except Polaris on 12nm. Either there's a big stockpile of Vega (which I find unlikely given after the last time AMD got bitten by the mining bubble bursting, they've been very careful not to oversupply Vega and be stuck with stock), or there's something high end close to fill the space of Vega.

Due to high cost of HBM there was never oversupply, on the contrary there was huge demand and manufacturers were losing money.

Personally I won't be surprise is AMD came out with a £900 Vega 20 by Xmas. And going to grab one without second thought. Probably grab 2.
Otherwise going to be up for a single Instinct one.

Why?
Have a look here. Thats Cifar10 from earlier this year, benchmarking ROCm on AMD vs CUDA9 and cuDNN7 on NV GPUs. What you see? Bear in mind the V100 costs £8000 and this is the old ROCm. Now we are at 1.8 for AMD which is much much better.

For the non initiated to those things, Vega can do matrix multiplication quite fast even without specialized units like "Tensor Cores". But that's irrelevant :p
I know 2 businesses in UK who clear our used FE and 64s from ebay using them for AI and Machine Learning with Tenshor flow.
Because they are VERY cheap compared to Nvidia products, even the dedicated ones!!!!!
8T47RWG.png

Few months back (August) many dismissed the news that Tesla made a contract with AMD to supply their next round of AI hardware, saying that AMD doesn't have AI capable card....

Just saying....

Soldato
Amd will just respin all current tiers with refreshes and the prices will go up too, it's all Amd have achieved in the last 5 years.
Nvidia will just be greedy with their Tu106.
So yeah it's either buy a 2nd hand 1070/1080, vega56/64. Or buy a new v56/64 or sit out until a deal turns up really.

Tomorrow you getting delivery of the LC? Btw any time you plan to sell it, please PM.

Soldato
Tomorrow you getting delivery of the LC? Btw any time you plan to sell it, please PM.

Yeah, pretty excited for it to turn up, as I've been using the peasant cooled reference v64. I missed a chance on an lc a few months ago in the m'm. I don't think I'll be selling it, but if things change I'll certainly give you a message.

Soldato
Yeah, pretty excited for it to turn up, as I've been using the peasant cooled reference v64. I missed a chance on an lc a few months ago in the m'm. I don't think I'll be selling it, but if things change I'll certainly give you a message.

I have put a bid on a FE. Crossing fingers to win it in 2h, might not need the LC then. :)
More interested on the FE tbh, as I want it primarily for TensorFlow, and is bargain (and very powerful) compared to the £8000 Volta card.

Since is as powerful with ROCm 1.8 as a 20 times higher priced NV card!!!!! Bonkers. :eek:
"Poor Volta" to all it's glory.

Soldato
I have put a bid on a FE. Crossing fingers to win it in 2h, might not need the LC then. :)
More interested on the FE tbh, as I want it primarily for TensorFlow, and is bargain (and very powerful) compared to the £8000 Volta card. :/
I mean is as powerful with ROCm 1.8 as a 20 times higher prices NV card!!!!! Bonkers.
Good luck on the bid, I haven't much experience in the compute side of Vega, so can"t really comment on it. Is this ai computation using the fp16 and int8 features in the architecture of Vega. 16gb of hbm2 must be another great benefit too.

Soldato
Why? Is a descent CPU that will work nicely with the Vega 64.
And you can always buy a FS monitor cheaper than a Gsync one. True your 1080p 144hz monitor is too weak to handle the Vega 64, however with AMD you can cap the FPS to 144 and consume less power also without using vsync or third party tools that are hit or miss.
lol, i'm just trying to convince myself (or get others to) that I don't need a vega64.....monitor is already fs. actually sparked new life into my 380x. by the time I offload my 380x and the games the upgrade will probably only have cost me about 300(ish) quid so i'm edging more and more towards just getting it.
But I just dunno if I can be bothered with the faff of undervolting and tweaking.

Soldato
lol, i'm just trying to convince myself (or get others to) that I don't need a vega64.....monitor is already fs. actually sparked new life into my 380x. by the time I offload my 380x and the games the upgrade will probably only have cost me about 300(ish) quid so i'm edging more and more towards just getting it.
But I just dunno if I can be bothered with the faff of undervolting and tweaking.

Mate, no need to faff about. Many have posted settings here for that. You just put them on, and off you go :D

Those settings bellow, are of much higher perf than watercooled GTX1080 @ 2190..... (at less power).

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32057078/

@nashathedog tried to find your settings mate but the images are deleted?
They were similar to these yes?

giykarg.png

Permabanned
@Panos

This is what I did have, My voltage is now at 1110 and 1050 with the same clocks. Yesterday I forgot to take into account that I'd uninstalled the Asus AI suite and the 4.225 overclock on the cpu the night before. It seems stock clocks on my 2700x might be limiting my gpu performance as I also turned the gpu's usage on in Wattman and the gpu's usage keeps dropping as low as the mid 70's so I'm going to have to look into it all today.

DdQSFkG.png

Soldato
@Panos

This is what I did have, My voltage is now at 1110 and 1050 with the same clocks. Yesterday I forgot to take into account that I'd uninstalled the Asus AI suite and the 4.225 overclock on the cpu the night before. It seems stock clocks on my 2700x might be limiting my gpu performance as I also turned the gpu's usage on in Wattman and the gpu's usage keeps dropping as low as the mid 70's so I'm going to have to look into it all today.

DdQSFkG.png

Cheers mate. :)

I will let you know how they do with 18.10.1 :D

And yes, going to fiddle with the card again, because I do like it and is fun :D

Back
Top Bottom