• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
My card also reports default GPU clock is 1630mhz on my sapphire V64 with GPU-Z.

I just set my card up to run with P6 1592/1100mv P7 1697/1130mv HBM 1100/1000mv and it seems stable enough in games, Runs between 1618 to 1638mhz when bench testing with Unigine Superposition . I can go higher if I like as I do have good airflow to the card.

It just a balance between temps, performance and fan noise. I using the new AMD drives with no problems with a manual fan profile set setup in WattMan

Right, just been benching Heaven for over an hour using your clocks except the memory which is at 1025 (which I discovered is samsung not Hynix btw). Gpu core is flunctuating around the 1630mhz level, Gpu temp is 60c-70c, gpu hotspot is 85c, power draw is 260w, auto fan setting is 2300rpm and not too noisy.
How do those figures look?

Associate
I'm having a weird issue with the new drivers. I'm using a custom fan curve in Wattman but zero rpm never kicks in, it just sits at 1200rpm even at 24 degrees. Anyone whats up?

Associate
Tried out a few games with Vega 64 in Crossfire. Sniper Elite 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Metro Last Light and Prey work nicely, but The Division and Shadow of the Tomb raider I have not seen any positive results. SotTR crashes on loading a game too. Still fiddling about with it.

Associate
After doing some further testing my conclusion is this driver is a piece of **** period. Auto under volt is basically power save mode and savages your performance. Auto overclock GPU & memory does absolutely nothing so is a waste of space. The fan curve is an absolute ****in* joke TBH. Set the curve to 60% at 75c and it went to 100% as soon as the game started (3330 rpm) and stayed there. Whatever figure I put in above 50% yielded the same result WTF?

With the previous drivers I could cap the fan speed which would affect temperature and performance but at least the fan noise was bearable. With these drivers AMD seem to think we want to run the fan at 100% all the time for a meager performance increase. Sorry AMD you're wrong give me less noise not more.

For some reason, might be because I have the original blower card, I get no option to run fan speed at 0. I see absolutely no benefit in this release and seriously wonder why AMD even bothered to make a big thing about it other than they've got absolutely nothing else they can talk about in the GPU space.

To say I'm disappointed with this POS is a major under statement. All hype and no delivery. Where are the primitive shader gains you promised? DSBR and all the other Vega features that don't work or aren't implemented? Terry Makedon should hang his head in shame after releasing these drivers and maybe it's time he walked the plank as he seems to be as useful as a chocolate fire guard. Sad times to be an AMD Vega owner to be sure.

I'm rolling back these drivers and maybe in a few months if they can fix all the faults in this release I might download another set of drivers but I won't be holding my breath TBH as I'm not sure they have the talented engineers to pull it off as they've all fuc*ed off to Intel
laugh.gif

Associate
Why are you worrying about auto-OC/UV tools when you clearly have enough knowledge to setup your own UV/OC??? There's never been an auto-OC tool that works better than experience with the card and settings.

I've had an issue with Rivatuner/AB crashing since the new driver was released. Other than that it's been fine. I don't have a fan on the card so the fan settings don't affect me and I could see that being a bit annoying, but if you have a blower why are you setting it to zero? Even with low power states it's putting out enough wattage to require minimal fan speeds.

Outside of those two issues, the drivers have been fine. The updates to the software and ReLive are pretty good too. The tools for people who aren't OC experts are also quite useful to those who are inexperienced, though I never like OC/UV tools at the best of times and it seems like the OC tool in particular seems to target broken values at times.

Soldato
Why are you worrying about auto-OC/UV tools when you clearly have enough knowledge to setup your own UV/OC??? There's never been an auto-OC tool that works better than experience with the card and settings.

I've had an issue with Rivatuner/AB crashing since the new driver was released. Other than that it's been fine. I don't have a fan on the card so the fan settings don't affect me and I could see that being a bit annoying, but if you have a blower why are you setting it to zero? Even with low power states it's putting out enough wattage to require minimal fan speeds.

Outside of those two issues, the drivers have been fine. The updates to the software and ReLive are pretty good too. The tools for people who aren't OC experts are also quite useful to those who are inexperienced, though I never like OC/UV tools at the best of times and it seems like the OC tool in particular seems to target broken values at times.

Spot on this.

Permabanned
After doing some further testing my conclusion is this driver is a piece of **** period. Auto under volt is basically power save mode and savages your performance. Auto overclock GPU & memory does absolutely nothing so is a waste of space. The fan curve is an absolute ****in* joke TBH. Set the curve to 60% at 75c and it went to 100% as soon as the game started (3330 rpm) and stayed there. Whatever figure I put in above 50% yielded the same result WTF?

With the previous drivers I could cap the fan speed which would affect temperature and performance but at least the fan noise was bearable. With these drivers AMD seem to think we want to run the fan at 100% all the time for a meager performance increase. Sorry AMD you're wrong give me less noise not more.

For some reason, might be because I have the original blower card, I get no option to run fan speed at 0. I see absolutely no benefit in this release and seriously wonder why AMD even bothered to make a big thing about it other than they've got absolutely nothing else they can talk about in the GPU space.

To say I'm disappointed with this POS is a major under statement. All hype and no delivery. Where are the primitive shader gains you promised? DSBR and all the other Vega features that don't work or aren't implemented? Terry Makedon should hang his head in shame after releasing these drivers and maybe it's time he walked the plank as he seems to be as useful as a chocolate fire guard. Sad times to be an AMD Vega owner to be sure.

I'm rolling back these drivers and maybe in a few months if they can fix all the faults in this release I might download another set of drivers but I won't be holding my breath TBH as I'm not sure they have the talented engineers to pull it off as they've all fuc*ed off to Intel
laugh.gif

Rolling back's fine but remember to also put in a ticket telling them you're doing that & why, Due to the sheer amount of possible PC configurations & each individuals way of doing things I imagine they rely on us reporting any issues we find, They've been doing a pretty good job over the last few years & while there's been bugs my experience is that they've got them fixed quite quickly so help us all out & post a ticket to let them know what's wrong.

http://www.amd.com/report

Associate
Right, just been benching Heaven for over an hour using your clocks except the memory which is at 1025 (which I discovered is samsung not Hynix btw). Gpu core is flunctuating around the 1630mhz level, Gpu temp is 60c-70c, gpu hotspot is 85c, power draw is 260w, auto fan setting is 2300rpm and not too noisy.
How do those figures look?
1630Mhz is good. 1025 memory is that clocks or power. On water I'm able to run 1180Mhz / 1100mv

Permabanned
1630Mhz is good. 1025 memory is that clocks or power. On water I'm able to run 1180Mhz / 1100mv

:eek: Wow, Is that a 24/7 fully stable overclock? Did you do tests before adding the block for comparisons? The best 24/7 clocks I can get from my air-cooled Vega64 Red Devil are 1692/1120mv on the core & 1080/1040mv on the memory but even then I find that some games don't like it making me do them a separate profile (Civ6). I can get much higher artifact free clocks for benching Firestrike but there's a point where performance starts declining even though the clocks are going up. At 1692/1120mv & 1080/1040mv it tends to give me an in-game core clock of anywhere from 1610 tol 1660 depending on the game. At these settings it performs well but even then it's only just hitting the claimed out of the box performance which IMO is borderline false advertising, Out of the box it stays in the mid to high 1500's at best.

Soldato
Thats clock speed, 1025mhz at 1000mv. I'm gonna try and see what I can get out of the vram, its Samsung so should go a fair bit higher and should hit at least 1100mhz hopefully without too much voltage increase.
Overall, I'm very impressed with this sapphire V64 which makes me wonder why AMD set the voltages so high to begin with and making it a power hungry, hot monster with castrated performance due to throttling. I'd really like to see one of the bigger tech sites on the tube do a review with undervolting etc, AND taking into account the price of these cards versus the insane Nvidia prices. I reckon all of a sudden these cards would show better performance per pound/dollar than the same tier cards by Nvidia.

Edit: I've managed so far to get the Vram up to 1150 @ 1000 and benched Heaven a few times with no probs at all. I'm wondering at this moment, if I can get further without having to increase the vram voltage. The temps are 70c max gpu and 85c gpu hotspot. Power draw is still only at 260w max.
One thing I am going to be looking at is the fans. At 2300rpm they do become a bit obtrusive, not too bad, but deffo louder than I'm used to, so I might at a later date look at replacing the fans (but not the cooler) with some replacements, though which ones I haven't a clue till I look into it. The only issue as far as I can see is mounting 'em onto the cooler but thats shouldn't be too big an issue. If I can improve cooling and noise then its a double bonus although I'd be happy just making the fans quieter.

Last edited:
Associate
:eek: Wow1180Mhz / 1100mv , Is that a 24/7 fully stable overclock? Did you do tests before adding the block for comparisons?
. So I was one of the lucky ones who was able to buy a reference card when they first came out. I did no overclocking with the card on the reference cooler what so ever. Undervolting the card meant it got to 85c in 5 minutes rather than 2 minutes.
(It's a very well ventillated case by the way)
The Alphacool block on it feels like it weighs about 2 kilo's :D. I've never seen my card get over 50c using superposition. In the games I play it is stable. My core clock is about 1620 most of the time.

Permabanned
. So I was one of the lucky ones who was able to buy a reference card when they first came out. I did no overclocking with the card on the reference cooler what so ever. Undervolting the card meant it got to 85c in 5 minutes rather than 2 minutes.
(It's a very well ventillated case by the way)
The Alphacool block on it feels like it weighs about 2 kilo's :D. I've never seen my card get over 50c using superposition. In the games I play it is stable. My core clock is about 1620 most of the time.

You definitely lucked out on the memory. :)

Associate
I can run 1200 on the memory but only in 3dmark
In games it gives those all so familiar for us vega owners "green anomalies"
I get those too even with 1180 in 3DMark, if the ambient is high enough. I haven't found any games that benefit from more than 1100MHz though. I can run 1150MHz all day if needed, but then ARK wigs out. Having said that ARK wigs out no matter my settings :D

Undervolt/OC/Balanced/Performance you name it ARK dies eventually. ******* woefully optimised game.

Caporegime

laugh.gif

They canned the Primitive Shaders ages ago, as they couldn't get it working, they left it up to the devs to implement, but they won't do it, as everyones on Nvidia, as theres just no point them adding something, that only about 2 people can make use of.

Look at Mantle, they said one guy, couple of hrs, if that, piece of **** to do, but not one bugger would touch it, so AMD had to get shot of it, and now look at it, with Nvidia now supporting it, few games out, and more coming, devs all over it like flies around a cows ass.

Its why we havn't seen Dx12 yet either, since that came out, as only AMD could do it well, and properly, Nvidia were Dx11 (not sure if they are still now), and with them having all of the PC market, its only natural, that the devs wouldn't bother with 12, as theres absolutely no point, when it hasn't got a market.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom