• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato

[..]
I suppose it could be Adrenalin driver related, DOOM was a game that was absolutely rock solid and would never crash and gave great performance but now more often than not it crashed and causes a reboot

Tbh when I've seen people have issues similar to what you guys are describing it turned out to be either PSU problems or problems with the PCI-E slot, I'd take a look at that.

Soldato
I've had similar issues recently, games that have run OK for years now cause my PC to hard lock and reboot, I thought it was just me but you're post makes me think it might not be.

I've re-installed Win10 from scratch and re-downloaded all my games from steam, I've set everything back to stock but I'm still getting crashing. I've lost count of the things I've tried and the hours I've spent! :(

I don't think it's hardware related, nothing has changed on that front.

I have my suspicions about the latest version of Win10 (1809) but there isn't anything I can put my finger on.

I suppose it could be Adrenalin driver related, DOOM was a game that was absolutely rock solid and would never crash and gave great performance but now more often than not it crashed and causes a reboot

I'm running 1809 fresh installed and not updated and have no issues with any of the latest drivers from AMD. My vega 64 is working like a champ. The only issues i've had was due to running the card over 1 PCIe power cable with 2 splitters on it, that didn't fly well :p.

Soldato
Tbh when I've seen people have issues similar to what you guys are describing it turned out to be either PSU problems or problems with the PCI-E slot, I'd take a look at that.

I have a quality 80 Plus gold 1600W PSU so I don't think it's that, Vega 64 has been plugged into the same PCI-E slot for the last 2 years ;)

I guess it's not impossible that there is a problem with them but it's seems unlikely.

I could try another PSU and move the GFX card down to a different 16 x PCI-E slot I guess.

Associate

I dont think its my PSU, its not even a year old and its a Seasonic Focus Plus 850W. Everything was working perfectly until recently. The fan doesnt even come on as I'm never pushing the PSU hard.

I might replace the PCIE riser cable but if @HEADRAT is plugged directly to the mobo then it wouldn't make sense for it to be that.

EDIT: Also, I could game for 12 hours straight and no issues, but tomorrow the display driver could be crashing every 10 mins :/

Soldato
With Vega under load gaming/benching if the system shuts off dead then it's ocp on the psu.
Usually too much current draw or a poorly daisy chained power cable setup.

If it locks up with a black screen and sound loops fan 100% and pc needs a reset then this is nearly always due to a insufficient p-state/dpm voltage or temps are too hot.

If it locks up and screen flickers in and out and it goes back to desktop with wattman error in bottom right of screen, this is usually not enough voltage on the p-state aswell.

Associate
If it locks up and screen flickers in and out and it goes back to desktop with wattman error in bottom right of screen, this is usually not enough voltage on the p-state aswell.

This is exactly what I'm getting. Never a hard shut off or complete lock up. Just screen flickering and back to desktop with Wattman error.

Caporegime
I have countless hours into FM18 and FM19 and never crashed once. This all started only recently.

Ive ran ddu and installed various drivers , changed pcie slots, ran memtest and no errors.

Only other option is fresh install of Windows but the thought of resetting everything up again is killing me.

Also just a thought, could a faulty pcie riser cable cause driver to crash and recover?
Absolutely it could, that will most likely be the issue. These risers are not validated.

Soldato
This is exactly what I'm getting. Never a hard shut off or complete lock up. Just screen flickering and back to desktop with Wattman error.

Only thing I can suggest which you probably have already done is make sure cpu and memory are stable and temps are good, check the temps of the vega core,hbm temp and hotspot temps.

And with an undervolt just experiment with something low clocked and medium voltage like
P6 1540mhz 975mv
P7 1580mhz 1000mv
Hbm p3
945/900mhz 975mv/stock.

Check windows 10 build as 1803 was terrible for stuttering. Some games don't like to run in winowed mode or extended fullscreen, so try fullscreen.

Ensure seperate dedicated power cables from psu to vega.

What games or software are you seeing crashing?

Permabanned
I’m currently installing my Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ and there are two plugs for four pin fan connectors on the gpu. No cables came with the gpu to connect this to the motherboard fan headers. Strange for a ‘premium’ gpu.

Went to the local pc shop to buy some cables and they thought that the need for a female to female pwm fan cable was odd and that this is an unusual cable.

Will the gpu operate and the fans spin without the cables? Or is it to do with the rgb?

I just found it strange as my r9 390 which I have taken out doesn’t need these cables and it’s speed can be regulated by software.
???? what I have the nitro fans worked fine before I put it under water ? no need for cables

Soldato
I dont think its my PSU, its not even a year old and its a Seasonic Focus Plus 850W. Everything was working perfectly until recently. The fan doesnt even come on as I'm never pushing the PSU hard.

I might replace the PCIE riser cable but if @HEADRAT is plugged directly to the mobo then it wouldn't make sense for it to be that.

EDIT: Also, I could game for 12 hours straight and no issues, but tomorrow the display driver could be crashing every 10 mins :/
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/seasonic-focus-plus-psu-compatibility-issues,38105.html

Soldato
Does anyone know where the bios switch is on the sapphire nitro+ - or does it not have one?
Cheers

It does have one and its located where the switch is usually, on the side of the card point away from the motherboard near the back IO if i recall correctly. Sorry cant be bothered to go looking at mine below the table right now :S

Associate
My Sapphire nitro + just locked on black screen for no reason whatsoever.
The pc eventually restarted twice, then back to desktop with a global watmann error, saying setting had been restored - I hadn't altered anything there - it's just on balanced at the mo.
The card wasn't being stressed.
I have a leadex 750 gold - two cables supplying the power.
The fans weren't even spinning on the nitro when it went black screen - there was no real stress on it or power draw.

19.1.2 drivers - installed with ddu.

Associate
Only thing I can suggest which you probably have already done is make sure cpu and memory are stable and temps are good, check the temps of the vega core,hbm temp and hotspot temps.

And with an undervolt just experiment with something low clocked and medium voltage like
P6 1540mhz 975mv
P7 1580mhz 1000mv
Hbm p3
945/900mhz 975mv/stock.

Check windows 10 build as 1803 was terrible for stuttering. Some games don't like to run in winowed mode or extended fullscreen, so try fullscreen.

Ensure seperate dedicated power cables from psu to vega.

What games or software are you seeing crashing?

CPU and RAM both at stock. Everything's under water never had temp issues.

There is separate dedicated cables going to the card.

Latest windows updates install. Game wise it can be anything. FM19, Subnautica, Forza, The Room series.

Think ill purchase another riser cable and see does the help

Associate
I'm running 1809 fresh installed and not updated and have no issues with any of the latest drivers from AMD. My vega 64 is working like a champ. The only issues i've had was due to running the card over 1 PCIe power cable with 2 splitters on it, that didn't fly well :p.
The PSU is semi modular. It has a whole bunch of cables shrouded coming out the PSU already. The only modular one I had to use was for more SATA. The cables I use are 6+2 Pin and of course I use both of them. The cables themselves aren't split except the 6+2 part. Could they be split inside the PSU?

Associate
How is your power configured for the Vega card? are you using 1 cable with 2 PCIe plugs or 2 cables?
have you set your power options in windows to high ?
Yes and even just then when I went to check it did the black screen cycle thru my monitors display options then comes back thing. Lol. Good lord I'm losing my mind here.
And yes. The PSU is semi modular. It has a whole bunch of cables shrouded coming out the PSU already. The only modular one I had to use was for more SATA. The cables I use are 6+2 Pin and of course I use both of them. The cables themselves aren't split except the 6+2 part. Could they be split inside the PSU?

Associate
have you set your power options in windows to high ?
Unigine Valley has always been bad from day one even when it was brand new for testing GPUs

Valley is terrible for testing modern GPUs and even worse running in a window, it bottlenecks the card hence you can see odd things with GPU clockspeeds.
Ok thank you I'll use others from now on if I can ever get to the part where it is stable at stock without issues.

Associate
I thought it has to be used in the top PCIe slot? This is not true? Are there any disadvantages to using the second or third slot as my MOBO only has three? And currently the bottom one would not be an option because the PSU wouldn't give it enough clearance. This will change I think when my new case gets here very soon for better air flow etc.

Back
Top Bottom