• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
I managed to stop those by raising my HBM2 voltage setting to 1100mv for some reason. Though it does limit my gaming modes to being that high at minimum normally. For games I know are a bit less demanding on memory I can get away with 1050mv.

Associate
Jinxed myself, random driver stopped responding crashes are back :(

Is this where your screen will go black for several seconds, and then come back with a display driver failure message and sometimes not? Even on desktop when not doing anything?

I have had similar and keep meaning to check it out with the event viewer etc. What I find fixes it is restarting your PC, then I can play games with fully OC'd card all day no probs. I turn the PC off for the night, turn it on next day and the black screen crashes are back. I'll be looking into it further this weekend.

Associate
Is this where your screen will go black for several seconds, and then come back with a display driver failure message and sometimes not? Even on desktop when not doing anything?

I have had similar and keep meaning to check it out with the event viewer etc. What I find fixes it is restarting your PC, then I can play games with fully OC'd card all day no probs. I turn the PC off for the night, turn it on next day and the black screen crashes are back. I'll be looking into it further this weekend.

Yup thats the same crashing Im getting. It could be after 10 hours of solid gaming or 10 mins. Or it could be just at the desktop or in chrome.

Everything ive checked in GPUz shows the card isnt doing anything abnormal at time of crash.

Event viewer will only show 2 warnings, one stating driver crashed and other to show it recovered.

Associate
Crashes seem to be random for me as well. I can have days where I can run stress tests or play games all day then have a day where I play a game that isn't too graphically demanding but it crashes after about 2 minutes.

There are also moments when the GPU decides to overboost too high during gaming and crash. Even with the Power Limit set to 5% it tends to happen.

One thing I did was change the minimum state from P0 to P1 and that has stopped some of the crashing that was occurring during idle, or browsing.

Associate
Yup thats the same crashing Im getting. It could be after 10 hours of solid gaming or 10 mins. Or it could be just at the desktop or in chrome.

Everything ive checked in GPUz shows the card isnt doing anything abnormal at time of crash.

Event viewer will only show 2 warnings, one stating driver crashed and other to show it recovered.

This is mainly happening with my 2nd PC using Vega 56. The card itself, CPU etc must be fine as they run games for hours on end with OC. I still don't know what the source of the issue is. Tried different drivers, DDU, and even full reinstall of windows. It just happens when I first turn the computer on and it boots, but it can be remedied by just restarting the PC and then it's good for hours.

Very strange indeed. I have a theory it could be something to do with recent Windows updates.

Soldato
Well finally have a Vega 64 back.

Sent the Red Devil back for extreme whine coil. Powercolor are not great and OCUK heard nothing back in 30 days so they swapped me to the Nitro+.

Coil whine is 95% gone, can only hear it if I stick my head in the case, thank god.

Anyone got any good Wattman settings for the Nitro?

Soldato

Sent the Red Devil back for extreme whine coil. Powercolor are not great and OCUK heard nothing back in 30 days so they swapped me to the Nitro+.

Coil whine is 95% gone, can only hear it if I stick my head in the case, thank god.

Try P7 1632/1050 & 1050/1000 HBM +50% PL, as a conservative starting point. Lock them as minimum states when you game. It should hold a steady 1600 mhz core with no issues & minimal noise.

Soldato
Played with the card a bit today, no particularly good results but thought I'd share anyway:

3DMark Timespy Graphical Test 1, done at 4K and w/ Anisotropic Filtering 16x, where it says ibid I basically mean same settings as the previous line plus changes, idem = exactly the same:

Balanced - 24.18 fps
Stock +50% PL - 25.75
Ibid, P7 Min, 1100mv - 25.60
Ibid, P6 Min, 1000mv, P7 1642, HBM 1v - 25.75
P6 1552/1v, P7 1667/1.1v, HBM ibid, 80% fan - 26
Ibid, 1537/1647 - 25.81
1537/1100, 1632/1150, 945/1100 - 25.83
Idem, Filtering - Performance - 25.79
Ibid, Filtering - Quality (as in the rest of the tests), 1100/1100 HBM - 26.70
Auto-undervolt - 24.44
Auto-OC GPU/Memory - crash, untestable

Suppose I'll have to roll my sleeves up and go for LC bios & mess with powerplay table one of these days to see how much I can really push it.

Associate

Did yours come with a support bracket?
Someone posted the ones in stock don't have them anymore.

You should be able to set the HBM at 1100mhz/1000mv - is it still Samsung?
Most of that will do 1100mhz.

I found the power saving bios (tiny switch on the card near the rear of your case - switch left for power saving) gave slightly lower scores in superposition 4k, but higher min fps and lower undervolts.

Associate
Played with the card a bit today, no particularly good results but thought I'd share anyway:

3DMark Timespy Graphical Test 1, done at 4K and w/ Anisotropic Filtering 16x, where it says ibid I basically mean same settings as the previous line plus changes, idem = exactly the same:

Balanced - 24.18 fps
Stock +50% PL - 25.75
Ibid, P7 Min, 1100mv - 25.60
Ibid, P6 Min, 1000mv, P7 1642, HBM 1v - 25.75
P6 1552/1v, P7 1667/1.1v, HBM ibid, 80% fan - 26
Ibid, 1537/1647 - 25.81
1537/1100, 1632/1150, 945/1100 - 25.83
Idem, Filtering - Performance - 25.79
Ibid, Filtering - Quality (as in the rest of the tests), 1100/1100 HBM - 26.70
Auto-undervolt - 24.44
Auto-OC GPU/Memory - crash, untestable

Suppose I'll have to roll my sleeves up and go for LC bios & mess with powerplay table one of these days to see how much I can really push it.
Are you on power saving or performance bios?

Associate
Likely a driver issue. If the settings were fine prior to the driver then it's not likely to cause other hardware to cause issues with a driver change. Revert back to 19.1.1 or 18.12.2 and see if you have the same issues.
Finally got a chance to test things. Reset everything to default. Uninstalled and reinstalled driver. Everything works fine but every now and then, the computer just turns off. What is weird is I cannot turn it back on unless I switch things off at the wall socket and then back on. Not sure what's going on!

Caporegime
Finally got a chance to test things. Reset everything to default. Uninstalled and reinstalled driver. Everything works fine but every now and then, the computer just turns off. What is weird is I cannot turn it back on unless I switch things off at the wall socket and then back on. Not sure what's going on!

Thats a PSU issue, which is surprising, considering you have a Superflower, are you using 2x seperate cables to power the card ?

Associate
I had the same issue with a Seasonic 860W platinum, though it was 6 years old. RMA'd the PSU and the replacement works great.

Associate
Should i call Overclockers support? Or run some more tests?
If you have access to another good quality power supply then test with that, also remove any overclocks (CPU/RAM/GPU). Could also try different drivers or even a fresh install of windows. Mine would only shut down with specific games (which I thought was odd) so make sure you document everything fully if you do RMA the power supply. OCUK may deal with the RMA process or you might have to RMA directly with the manufacture which is what I did, though it was painless and took less than a week.
I actually purchased another power supply before RMAing mine so I could be sure it was the power supply and so that I had no down time, Sold the new power supply for a slight loss to a family member.

Back
Top Bottom