The RX7 rebuild thread

Drexel, probably been said already to you, but please PLEASE for the love of god DO NOT even remotely touch that shaft when putting the lump back in, or youre gonna know about it when you try and drive! Good Luck and well done so far!

Right, this week's update. I haven't done a huge amount this weekend, mainly due to having the cold from hell, not nice in this weather.....

I got the Twin-turbo pack off, along with the upper intake plenum and throttle, lower intake manifold, alternator and pulleys, and exhaust manifold.

Pics then.

Here is the twin-turbo pack:

rebuild11.JPG

The intake plenum,throttle and intake manifold:

rebuild12.JPG

The alternator, pulleys, exhaust manifold etc.:

rebuild13.JPG

How the engine looks now (apologies for the quality):

rebuild14.JPG

I've also been polishing the Greddy intercooler pipes and intake elbow, really pleased with the results. I just used Autosol and elbow grease:

rebuild15.JPG

So now there isn't much left to remove before I get to the internals......

DreXeL said:
You know, there is an outside possibility It'll be finished ;)

Well get cracking then, I'm dying for you to take me for a spin in it. I rang up about a Type-R about a fortnight ago, but this put me off and I've spent a few quid on mine instead.

questions please rx 7 people. what is involved with a rebuild partswise, is it the seals? i cant seem to find rotor tips anywhere or are they classed as the rotor housing? :confused:

Will Gill said:
how the hell do you know where all the bits go back?

braver man than me drex :D

Good old Mazda workshop manual. Clear, precise instuctions, better that any haynes manual ;)

vanpeebles: There are loads and loads of places that do all the parts required for a rebuild. Here is a list of all the parts included in a kit:

Rebuild Kit From Rotorsports

That's probably where I'm going to order my kit from. That includes everything you need, assuming the rotors, housings and end plates are OK.

Small update.

I didn't get anything done last weekend due to being at JAE all weekend, and as of tomorrow I'll be away for a week, but a got a bit more done today.

I removed the rats-nest, water-pump assembly and coil-pack, and some other small bits and pieces. The engine is now virtually ready to split:

rebuild16.JPG

rebuild17.JPG

I'm going to order the rebuild kit when I get back off holiday, then I'll really crack-on. The next update won't be untill the sat after next, but it will include internal pics as I'll have the engine split next time.

Back
Top Bottom