• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Associate
Running a 4690K with a 1080ti and gaming at 3440x1440 at the moment.
I'm really torn, as I think my primary bottleneck is that I'm running 'only' 8GB of memory. But DDR3 really is a dead end to throw money at, and may not resolve my main gripe of lengthy freezes during shootouts in The Division 2.

Buying an all new CPU (probably a 3600), motherboard, memory and potentially PSU will be a vastly bigger chunk of change but is likely to last me another 5 years.

I've been watching a lot of reviews and keeping up with these forum threads hoping for that eureka moment that pushes me into a purchase - Come on SandVywellBridge owners, inspire me!

I am on a 4690k with 8GB of memory and I experience no freezes during shootouts however I am only at 1080 with a 970. I am not sure if the higher res would be the cause of your problems.

Associate
I am on a 4690k with 8GB of memory and I experience no freezes during shootouts however I am only at 1080 with a 970. I am not sure if the higher res would be the cause of your problems.

Its not the higher res, I'm at 1080 on a 4670k 8Gb ram with a 1070 & I get the freezes too, just waiting for the new ryzens to sort out the teething problems then I'm going to grab probably a 3700x & 16gb ram. I also had problems with anthem locking out my controls because the cpu was at 100% (it was a fairly common problem with a lot of threads about it)

Associate
Its not the higher res, I'm at 1080 on a 4670k 8Gb ram with a 1070 & I get the freezes too, just waiting for the new ryzens to sort out the teething problems then I'm going to grab probably a 3700x & 16gb ram. I also had problems with anthem locking out my controls because the cpu was at 100% (it was a fairly common problem with a lot of threads about it)

Hmm, interesting. Maybe the in game settings are too high? I only get a small freeze once I load in and then everything is fine. I did not have any freezing issues in Anthem too. Either way, I am going to get a 3900x once they are in stock.

Associate
I think you're right about waiting, not that it's easy though after waiting this long. I'm not too fussed about the money side of things as paying a bit extra to enjoy new hardware a couple of months earlier isn't the end of the world. Missing out on improved parts however would be a a shame.
yea i agree in the past i have upgraded on release but like you said i think its worth waiting for the better boards i would be gutted to buy a motherboard now then a few months later an improved and better looking board comes out for the same price or cheaper!

Associate
Same here. Overclocked 3770k stills seems to run everything I throw at it just fine. Bit underwhelmed by Ryzen 3000 series, and the number of issues people seem to be facing around here plus the high price of upgrading has put me off until at least next year.

The longer I leave it, the more I feel that the PS5 will be all I need. My 30 years or so of building my own - now too-damned-expensive - PCs may be coming to and end.

I thought about the waiting until next year thing but no doubt I'll be in a similar position with something else due out just around the corner.

With the small gaming performance difference between the 3600 and 3700X that might be a better way forward for now. I could get a decent B450 board (that may or may not have PCIe 4 support if AMD leave that in), CPU and memory for around £370. By selling the old parts on eBay I should be able to bring down the total upgrade cost to around £250 which isn't bad at all and cheaper than just the 3770k all those years ago.

Soldato
It depends on the games you play but I saw a big uplift in moving froma 4690K to an 8700K at 16:9 1440p in multiple titles, and that was with even a 980 Ti before I upgraded to a 1080 Ti. A 3600 would be a great buy.
Just out of interest, how much of a improvement did you fps wise in the titles you played? I'm really contemplating a 8700/9700K from secondhand market since prices have dropped abit and will probably drop further thought the rest of this year.

Associate
Just out of interest, how much of a improvement did you fps wise in the titles you played? I'm really contemplating a 8700/9700K from secondhand market since prices have dropped abit and will probably drop further thought the rest of this year.

In BF1 I saw a massive increase, from average 70-80 and lows in the mid 40's up to 90-110 average and minimums of 70+. War Thunder went from 70-100 to 120+ at all times (I use G-sync so couldn't report beyond 144). Other games saw more modest improvements and the only title that saw no increase was Warhammer Total War but I was completely GPU limited. I suspect I'd see even greater differences if I retested with the 1080 Ti where there's less of a GPU bottleneck.

Associate
I thought about the waiting until next year thing but no doubt I'll be in a similar position with something else due out just around the corner.

With the small gaming performance difference between the 3600 and 3700X that might be a better way forward for now. I could get a decent B450 board (that may or may not have PCIe 4 support if AMD leave that in), CPU and memory for around £370. By selling the old parts on eBay I should be able to bring down the total upgrade cost to around £250 which isn't bad at all and cheaper than just the 3770k all those years ago.

Yeah, that's my line of thinking at the moment - do something cheap around the 3600. Should be more than enough for gaming. However..

The only two games I'm looking forward to for the rest of 2019 are Doom: Eternal and Control. Both of those will run just fine on my OC'd 3770k. So I'm more inclined to wait until early next year and see what the 550 boards are like (and how Intel plans to respond - even if that's only a pricing shift.) Kinda feel that jumping for DDR4 and B450 now would just be a bit of a knee-jerk reaction, at a time when I wouldn't really notice any difference from it. Maybe when Cyberpunk 2079 hits next Spring I'll feel differently! :D

Associate
X79 i7-3820 owner reporting in. (Full list in the sig)

Upgrading to
R9 3900X R7 3700x (couldn't wait any longer )
Asus x570 Hero
8-pack 64gb 3200 ram
Asus Strix 2080Ti (with £270 trade in for the old 1070);)

Just waiting for stock.
Mostly used for Adobe CC
and the odd simulation type games
Last upgrade lasted 6 - 7 years, hopefully this one will too.

Last edited:
Associate
X79 i7-3820 owner reporting in. (Full list in the sig)

Upgrading to
R9 3900X
Asus x570 Hero
8-pack 64gb 3200 ram
Asus Strix 2080Ti (with £270 trade in for the old 1070);)

Just waiting for stock.
Mostly used for Adobe CC
and the odd simulation type games
Last upgrade lasted 6 - 7 years, hopefully this one will too.

Not sure if this is allowed to be mentioned. You can now order the 3900 straight from manufacturer.

Associate
I've also taken the plunge. Coming from a modestly clocked 2600k @ 4Ghz.

Gone for a 3600, Asus TUF wifi x570, 16Gb Crucial Ballistix sport LT. Getting paired up with my 1070.

Only really use my PC for gaming.

Associate
I am still on the 2500k overclocked, I was wanting one of these systems. But for the games I play, I don't see the benefit just yet. I think yet again I will be waiting another year or so

Associate
I'm hoping to squeeze another 2 years out of my 4770k - 100% not buying any new hardware as the 1080 Ti seems to be the upper limit of what my CPU can support without bottlnecking it.

I really want to give AMD some of my money though, their progress with CPU's has been utterly fantastic. unless intel make something extraordianry i'll be switching to AMD better bang for the buck. (currently) i have a feeling their pricess will fall more in line with intels with time to gain some more profit, and i for one can't blame them.

Caporegime
I remember when i put in a mobile barton chip from AMD called the 2500M. It cost me £50 these days people see £310 as a cheap upgrade path. I would not pay £310 to go from my 4770k i thought these cpus would cost quite a bit less. And i have had some great low cost cpus like the E6300 which must have been £60 or so.
This. My 2500 (Barton) cost me £80 and my i5 2500k cost me £120. Can't remember what the AMD X3 cost but it would have been ~100 knowing me.

£300 is not a cheap CPU!

Soldato
I'm hoping to squeeze another 2 years out of my 4770k - 100% not buying any new hardware as the 1080 Ti seems to be the upper limit of what my CPU can support without bottlnecking it.

I really want to give AMD some of my money though, their progress with CPU's has been utterly fantastic. unless intel make something extraordianry i'll be switching to AMD better bang for the buck. (currently) i have a feeling their pricess will fall more in line with intels with time to gain some more profit, and i for one can't blame them.

I doubt you'll get two years out of it on big titles maintaining good performance inc the 1% lows. You can already max a 4/8 clocked ivy and haswell in TD2 unless things have changed with a recent patch. Still perfectly playable of course, for now.

Associate
If I were you I'd be buying another 8gb of cheap DDR3 on ebay for a few months. Just find the cheapest stuff you can. You don't seem to be in a hurry to upgrade and as we all know, the longer you wait the cheaper or better things are.

I never rush these things, I was running my Q6600 for 7-8 years before replacing it. Getting 'only' 4 years out of my processor would feel like a ripoff after that.
I've upgraded my machine to 16GB and played a couple of hours of Division 2 and had no freezes at all with a steadyish 60fps ao I'm pretty happy. Here's to another 3-4 years!

Soldato
Right, jumped into the deep end. A small upgrade over a couple of months, as planned, this is not.

Going from:
3570K @4.4
16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 @ 1866Mhz
Asus z77 Sabertooth
500GB Samsung 860 Evo
Titan Fenrir Cooler
Corsair HX750w Silver (from 2010! :eek:)

To:
3700x - Cheap deal
16GB 8Pack 3200Mhz c14
Asrock Taichi x570 - Cheap deal
1TB Samsung 970 - Cheap deal
Dark Rock Pro 4
Seasonic Focus Plus 750 Gold

Hoping for a small uptick in performance and something that lasts me another 7 years.

Associate
Right, jumped into the deep end. A small upgrade over a couple of months, as planned, this is not.

Going from:
3570K @4.4
16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 @ 1866Mhz
Asus z77 Sabertooth
500GB Samsung 860 Evo
Titan Fenrir Cooler
Corsair HX750w Silver (from 2010! :eek:)

To:
3700x - Cheap deal
16GB 8Pack 3200Mhz c14
Asrock Taichi x570 - Cheap deal
1TB Samsung 970 - Cheap deal
Dark Rock Pro 4
Seasonic Focus Plus 750 Gold

Hoping for a small uptick in performance and something that lasts me another 7 years.

Fairly similar to what I was looking at, would be interesting to know how it works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom