• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Permabanned
Another 3770k (@4.5Ghz/Noctua NH-D14) here. I've got it setup with 32GB of DDR3, 1080Ti FTW3 and a 1440p panel. Everything that I play out of a library of ~2,300 games runs smoothly with settings maxed. I don't have any complaints either when coding/working. But I do want an upgrade sometime soon (been saying this for years).

The 12c24t Ryzen part has my attention, though I'll hold on to see the benchmarks of the 16c part. Not fussed at all by the pricing since I'm coming from 4c/8t, indeed these look great for the bump in grunt.

One thing I can't decide on is a new case. I'm using a Cooler Master HAF XB atm (cube case) which only needs 2 140 case fans blowing over the motherboard. Tempted to go for the same case again unless someone can talk me into a different design. I'd rather not bother with water cooling as it's just not worth the risk/hassle.

Permabanned
I'm running a 3570K, which is still performing fine in the majority of games for me but critically lacking in highly threaded workloads.

Initially I was tempted by the leaked specs of the 3700 as a 12 core chip, however with the launch prices and specs I'm pretty much staring at a 3600 as the 3700 just isn't attractive at its price. So I'm tempted to go for 1st or 2nd Gen Ryzen and then moving up in a year or mores time when cores cost less. I'm irritated that 2 years and 2 generations later the product stack hasn't moved (ie a 3600 is still the same cores and threads as the 1600). We've only seen an increase in the highest end.

Keep an eye on the MM after Ryzen 3000 hits the store, you'll see plenty of 14/12nm Ryzens on sale then.

Soldato
The 12c24t Ryzen part has my attention, though I'll hold on to see the benchmarks of the 16c part.
Intel won't have anything to answer 16c model, so it's going to be expensive at launch and for long after that.
Anyway games certainly won't be stressing even "just" 12 core in many many years.
Except maybe some tech demo games...

Associate
Another 3770k (@4.5Ghz/Noctua NH-D14) here. I've got it setup with 32GB of DDR3, 1080Ti FTW3 and a 1440p panel. Everything that I play out of a library of ~2,300 games runs smoothly with settings maxed. I don't have any complaints either when coding/working. But I do want an upgrade sometime soon (been saying this for years).

The 12c24t Ryzen part has my attention, though I'll hold on to see the benchmarks of the 16c part. Not fussed at all by the pricing since I'm coming from 4c/8t, indeed these look great for the bump in grunt.

One thing I can't decide on is a new case. I'm using a Cooler Master HAF XB atm (cube case) which only needs 2 140 case fans blowing over the motherboard. Tempted to go for the same case again unless someone can talk me into a different design. I'd rather not bother with water cooling as it's just not worth the risk/hassle.

Had the mesh top version , one of my favourite cases ever next to a 540 and 011 dynamic . Why not try a more modern dual chamber chassis ?

Permabanned
Had the mesh top version , one of my favourite cases ever next to a 540 and 011 dynamic . Why not try a more modern dual chamber chassis ?

I cut out the plastic honeycomb from the front and edged the mesh with magnetic tape to make a detachable dust filter. It's been a great (and clean) case.

I am leaning towards a 540, but it looks like more work to keep clean. Just saw a pic of it being used on it's side :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Intel won't have anything to answer 16c model, so it's going to be expensive at launch and for long after that.
Anyway games certainly won't be stressing even "just" 12 core in many many years.
Except maybe some tech demo games...

Well I see the 12 core as being a good long term CPU as the consoles are going 8. When coding mostly in VS, I tend to have open a sandboxed web browser (firefox) or 2 which can have over 200 tabs open(real hog), some office apps, maybe a virtual machine, plus some other junk such as WMC/TV. I also like to game when I feel myself getting tunnel vision. It's lazy but it would be nice to play a game without having to close some other things first, hence holding out to see how the 16c performs.

Man of Honour
PS5 rumoured specs:
Ryzen 2 8c16t @ 3.2Ghz
24 GB GDDR6 RAM + 4GB DDR4 RAM for OS
Navi @ 14.6 teraflops
superspeed SSD (2TB?)

basically nothing below a 3700x will do.
and 32gb ram
and a 1080ti/2080
and a 1tb nvme ssd

else might as well buy a console.

go big or go home...lol

Associate

Very similar to my set-up, except I game at 1920x1200. I can get every new game running super-smooth after a few tweaks. Will stick with what I have until next year.

New AMD stuff seems to be nothing more than "catch up" of 2-3 year old Intel tech. - at lest if you are looking at it from a purely gaming perspective. I wasn't expecting much more, tbh, and the "entire platform upgrade costs" are looking a bit silly - even if I go for a 3700X.

There's no flood of new games until late next year when the new consoles hit. So no rush to upgrade. Will also wait to see what Intel do in the interim. My best gaming of the last 2 years has been on the PS4Pro. And the PS5 is looking like a monster, so may not even bother upgrading my PC even next year if the PS5 ticks all the boxes for just £500.

Man of Honour
Have to say I've never felt my 4820K is holding me back but thinking of upgrading though it would have to be a minimum of an 8/16 CPU and probably aiming more for 10/20 or 12/24. But an upgrade to the same tier level would cost me considerably more than this build did in 2013.

Associate
3770K owner here reporting in, also biding my time waiting on my ryzen info and news, looking pref at 3700x or 3800x so far, even at 4.4ghz im noticing slow downs now

Associate
3570k Over and Out...
3800x incoming I feel but will wait for benchmarks. Want to see sensible prices of MB too and how they work before jumping in but feel my trusty chip needs retiring. It’s just the other parts that add up too: Ram, cooler, new case, bigger SSD..........and a smaller wallet!
If a 16 core was released would I change my mind?

Associate
2500K @4.5 here . Its been a right little trooper but its end is near. I am going to frame it and hang it on the wall soon. I shall be going down the 3800x route and keep an eye on ryzen 3 for when the new console are released. I am not happy about the x570 prices but as i am not an extreme overclocker hopfully i can get something decent for under £250?

Associate
2500K @4.5 here . Its been a right little trooper but its end is near. I am going to frame it and hang it on the wall soon. I shall be going down the 3800x route and keep an eye on ryzen 3 for when the new console are released. I am not happy about the x570 prices but as i am not an extreme overclocker hopfully i can get something decent for under £250?

Under £250 yes,

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £240.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Please consider that motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom