• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Associate
That's an X470 i want an X570!

Sorry i swear i am getting loopy,

Anyways that board is gigabytes flagship x470 anyways yeah.

Sorry.

61525304_10157289716932375_1431191709865213952_n.jpg

Okay i am like the reason why i recommended that over the x570 is first off pcie 4.0 vs pcie 3.0 and i did not read your post correctly.

I have not been following the recent update of x570 but as an alternative you could get the flagship x470 motherboard from gigabyte and should have a nice overclocking potential.

The new gpus coming out etc are not limited by pci-e 3.0 that is apparently what i have read, some other sources don't think so.

But then yea i don't blame you if you want the newest state of the art motherboard.

As for me i have that gigabyte motherboard and i for one, well am not alone it seems to be one of those motherboards to be considered especially when you have done your research.

But haven't researched the x570 so i can talk, my self personally anyways if the 3xxx series from amd lives up to the hype and or the reviews and all then i will get one otherwise i will wait for the 4xxx series from amd again.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32750714

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh alright, we can include the four people who bought Broadwell CPUs too.

Broadwell-E gang represent! 6800k

Tbh I think I'll pass. The jump is still not that significant for me, plus I'm very GPU bound anyway (V64) @ 4k. Truth is this gen is the only one from AMD that offers me a performance boost finally but the pricing isn't making me rush out and buy one. Think I'll wait for better deals. The only temptation right now is another PCIe slot for mGPU.

Think I'll have no problem holding out for DDR5 & PCIe Gen5.

Associate
Got the system in my sig and was hoping to upgrade with these new Ryzen chips but early reports seem to be a bit underwhelming, so not sure if id see a massive boost. That said i feel like im always waiting for the next release and then when that comes along i find myself thinking ill wait for the NEXT release after that in which case i'd never upgrade......such is the PC ownership life though!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I have an 8 year old 2500k Sandy that's recently been relegated to "server" duties. Not that there's much left of the original as it required a new PSU, had multiple RAM updates, even more HDD and then went through 3 GPUs.
The fact that it's still running fine certainly can't be faulted.

The new PC is a 9700 with NVME2 SSD and 64 GB of ram.
In game, my frame rates are something like 50% better, which bearing in mind the cost for the new base unit, really isn't an amazing improvement.
However, the 50% is when the GPU is being fed appropriately by the rest of the system.
Far more noticeable than the frame rate is the lack of dropped frame, stutters, slowdowns and similar.
IMO, the Sandybridge processor was and still is a very good CPU. The issue was everything around it not progressing. The motherboard didn't support either DDR4 ram, or NVME2 SSD drives, both of which I believe make a significant difference.

The other point is that many games are still single core CPU bound. Certainly the key flight sim that I play (DCS) is primarily single core. So frankly, a 9700 is utter overkill for the frame rate improvement.
HOWEVER, we know that many new games are now multi-core, and Vulkan will very much help that.

So my thoughts are that you shouldn't expect humongous improvements until you're using games that actually make use of all the cores. At that you get the benefits of the IPC enhancement (in my case, clearly around 50%), THEN a doubled set of cores, and also the peripherals of DDR4 and faster NVME2 drives.

Soldato
4690K @ 4.7 Ghz here.
I feel the time has come. But it depends on prices of mobos and ram to go with Zen2. If its silly expensive then I can still wait for Zen2+ or 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++

Associate
My 4790K has been brilliant and to be honest is still going strong. However DDR4, faster NVMe and cheap 8 cores is too much of a pull now.
Also ZombieLoad is not good. Asus are not not going to update my GENE VII BIOS, so its time for Ryzen 3000 now.

Associate
2600K here. The pricing and the X570 needing a fan have put me off jumping in with both feet. Will wait until there's some experience with the new chips & the old boards floating around, and hopefully until the price drops a touch. Might get a previous gen chip or one of the mid range Zen2 processors if RAM / SSD prices start to turn, otherwise it's wait & see for now..

Soldato
Time to jump for me. As stated by others my 2500K is okay, it's everything around it. It's looking like I may be getting this:

4C4T > 8C16T
1600MHz DDR3 > 4000 MHz DDR4
550MB/s SSD > 6500MB/s NVME
USB 3.0 > USB 3.0 Gen 2
PCIE 2.0 > PCIE 4.0

That's a big upgrade with lots of future potential. I can't see me being limited by performance for a long time.

Soldato
2600k owner here paired with a 1080ti. I play my games at 4k so I'm not seeing huge gains with CPU changes. I'd like to stay in the blue team and hoping for a price drop on the 9900k...

I was waiting to see what Zen2 was going to bring to the table as well bit I'm a little underwhelmed tbh

Soldato
3820 user here.

Had it at 5,then 4.9 and now 4.8 as the chip has aged.

I guess all these security issues have hammered it too.

Will likely buy decent new x570 mobo and watch reviews for chips.

32gb ram too prolly.

Associate
3770k here. Running easily at 4.2 paired with a vega 56.
Been waiting to upgrade for such a long time but not enough gains for myself to warrant the cost.
So will just have to push the overclock higher!

Associate
Time to jump for me. As stated by others my 2500K is okay, it's everything around it. It's looking like I may be getting this:

4C4T > 8C16T
USB 3.0 > USB 3.0 Gen 2
PCIE 2.0 > PCIE 4.0

That's a big upgrade with lots of future potential. I can't see me being limited by performance for a long time.
When you list the technology changes like that, it becomes too compelling not to upgrade!

Associate

4C4T > 8C16T
USB 3.0 > USB 3.0 Gen 2
PCIE 2.0 > PCIE 4.0

6.5GB/s from a single NVMe drive? Unlikely.

Probably 5GB sustained read max. With the bonus of X570 fan noise. :)

Associate
I think I can manage with my Haswell system a bit longer (5960X :p). Ryzen 2 did interest me, but the consumer stuff doesn't have enough PCIe lanes for me.

Associate
I sold my Sandybridge and Haswell CPUs and motherboards earlier this year. All geared up for boarding the Ryzen 3rd gen train in the near future!

Soldato
6.5GB/s from a single NVMe drive? Unlikely.

Probably 5GB sustained read max. With the bonus of X570 fan noise. :)

Yep 6.5GB/s coming with the second gen PCIE 4.0 drives. It was mentioned in one of the Tech Tubers Computex videos, may have been Hardware Unboxed.

Back
Top Bottom