The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Soldato
Anyone seen or have the part number for a genuine Sony A7 body cap? I've lost mine and would like a genuine one for when I come to sell my A7III.

EDIT: found ALCB1EM looks to be correct.

Last edited:
Associate
So what's people's thoughts on a ar7 IV a with a 200-600 lens for wildlife?
Really tempted.but slightly nervous about some of the issues of images been soft that people are having.

Are the video functions good, I use them for recording the little one so needs to be good at a minimum

I have a r5 at the moment with a sigma 150-600c and find the images to be soft as hell and well just rubbish when I compare it to my old d850 setup with the same lens.
Not impressed with the 100-500 and the cost of that and a TC are astronomical! The 800 f11 looks good but trying to find birds at that focal length without zooming out first at times is a pain!
I tried two versions on the A7Riv and three versions of the 200-600, all had the stupid focus issues. All lenses worked perfectly on the A7Riii and the A7Riv was fine with all my other lenses.
I had an R5 with 100-500 for a month and if it wasn’t for the cost I’d happily give up my 200-600.

Soldato
No more than any other mirrorless camera I would say. 90% of the time a few puffs with a Rocket blower would save you from doing a liquid clean-and even then I don't see any issue with having to do a clean if it's required? A box of VSGO Sensor cleaning kit would last you a year or more.

Soldato
People will look at you funny with that hanging off your camera.

Ahaha, ye gods. Had a bit of play tonight. I'm going to like this camera I think.

A7_SYD.JPG

Caporegime
Question. I have been using back button focusing for a good few months now and enjoying it, and my framing and composition seems to have improved a little.

One issue though, if I ever hand my A7iii to a friend or family member - they don't play well despite trying to explain the difference. I still need several more years to fully get my head around the menu system lol, but can you set something up where it switches between default settings (half shutter to focus) and my custom settings? I know there are all sorts of custom settings on here but thought that was more to do with picture profile settings etc.

Edit - sweet @SDK^ - I'll check it out. Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Question. I have been using back button focusing for a good few months now and enjoying it, and my framing and composition seems to have improved a little.

One issue though, if I ever hand my A7iii to a friend or family member - they don't play well despite trying to explain the difference. I still need several more years to fully get my head around the menu system lol, but can you set something up where it switches between default settings (half shutter to focus) and my custom settings? I know there are all sorts of custom settings on here but thought that was more to do with picture profile settings etc.
I've setup a shortcut to the focus button - back button / shutter button for exactly this reason.
Whenever I hand my camera to my partner, or a friend I can quickly change the focus map back to the shutter button. Saves me explaining and then they end up missing the shot anyway :D

Just add the AF w/Shutter (Menu 1, page 6) into the 'My Menu' page.

Soldato
I bought the Sony battery grip for my A7 III and it makes a massive comfort difference, especially with the added chunky grip in the portrait orientation.

I wish Sony would design the A9's and A1's with this built in, like the older Canon 1D/S/X models. It would also provide some visual difference to the lower end models - currently the A1 looks exactly like the A7 MK3/4 and you're left wondering why you spent £6k+ on it :cry:

52068278809_ec103f91da_b.jpg

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
After months of watching videos and reading reviews, I finally took the plunge and ordered an A7C with kit lens which arrives today, I nearly went for the A7iv but couldn't stretch the budget and didn't want the size.
Still its going to be a massive jump up from my Canon M5 which I've had for the last 5 years and arrives just in time for a family holiday to Florida next week:D

Current plan is to keep hold of the kit lens for the size and add a good prime lens, any recommendations?
I've got a 22mm f2 on my M5 which works out at 35mm on full frame, but never having had a full frame before I'm not sure if this is the right focal length for me.

Associate
Awesome, you'll love it! The eye AF is an absolute game changer with family.

The kit lens is great, which is a nice bonus. I've added a few, but have found that in my regular sling bag stays the kit lens, the basic Sony 50mm 1.8 (SEL50F18F) and the Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE.

Those three make a great, low cost, compact set for snapping the kids and days out. Think I paid £85 for the 50mm and £110 for the 35mm, both second hand in mint condition. They also both fully support the proper auto focus.

FYI, that all fits very nicely in the Peak Design Everyday Sling 3L

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Awesome, you'll love it! The eye AF is an absolute game changer with family.

The kit lens is great, which is a nice bonus. I've added a few, but have found that in my regular sling bag stays the kit lens, the basic Sony 50mm 1.8 (SEL50F18F) and the Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE.

Those three make a great, low cost, compact set for snapping the kids and days out. Think I paid £85 for the 50mm and £110 for the 35mm, both second hand in mint condition. They also both fully support the proper auto focus.

FYI, that all fits very nicely in the Peak Design Everyday Sling 3L
Brilliant thanks, exactly the user feedback I was after :cool: I've been put off the 50mm f1.8 by some poor reviews and was edging towards the Sigma 56mm f1.4? Having used the Sigma's before I was also looking at their 35mm but the size has completely put me off, I'd like at least one prime before heading away next week so may have a play with the kit lens and family and try and work out the best focal length.

That Peak design bag is lovely, but I've got the equivalent Crumpler in black :cry:

Caporegime
Brilliant thanks, exactly the user feedback I was after :cool: I've been put off the 50mm f1.8 by some poor reviews and was edging towards the Sigma 56mm f1.4? Having used the Sigma's before I was also looking at their 35mm but the size has completely put me off, I'd like at least one prime before heading away next week so may have a play with the kit lens and family and try and work out the best focal length.

That Peak design bag is lovely, but I've got the equivalent Crumpler in black :cry:

All the sigma lens are highly recommended. If you are after small compact lens then look here

Associate
f1.4 is always nice :cool:

I also read the negative reviews of the Sony 1.8, but figured I'd give it a go anyhow. I can't compare it to the Sigma as I've never tried it, but I certainly have nothing bad to say about the Sony - love it. In fact, it's the one that stays on the most.

I think there were AF problems with it in the past, which have now been fixed through an easily applied firmware update

Back
Top Bottom