The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Soldato
So as I’ve got older I’ve got more sensible with purchases, previously I would have just found it on the cheapest website and got it. Now I’m thinking; how much better will this £2k make my photos look?

Currently I have a Canon 6D which I use for family photos, day trips and holidays and I’m very happy with the output, especially after Lightroom tweaks.
Canon have also indicated there is a full frame mirrorless from them on the way.

Think I’m going to wait a year and see what happens in the camera body market.

In the mean time, I might be tempted to get a Canon 100-400 L IS II for my sons football events.

Caporegime
So as I’ve got older I’ve got more sensible with purchases, previously I would have just found it on the cheapest website and got it. Now I’m thinking; how much better will this £2k make my photos look?

Currently I have a Canon 6D which I use for family photos, day trips and holidays and I’m very happy with the output, especially after Lightroom tweaks.
Canon have also indicated there is a full frame mirrorless from them on the way.

Think I’m going to wait a year and see what happens in the camera body market.

In the mean time, I might be tempted to get a Canon 100-400 L IS II for my sons football events.

The selling point of this camera is the AF and tracking, great got getting the shot, especially if you are limited by time or opportunity. The 2nd thing is the DR which is almost on par with the Nikon D850 and Sony A7RIII.

I wouldn't upgrade it for holiday and family day out, that seems overkill.

Soldato
I as you SDK have the 6d currently, but I find it misses focus a lot - maybe I'm just terrible at using it but for me, the upgrade is mainly driven by the superior autofocusing system on the A7III.
I am just a hobbyist photographer, but it really does suck when it looks pretty good on the small screen, then when you get home you realise the focus is out and you've missed your chance.
I'm currently considering whether or not to start again with lenses or just use the adapter, I'll see how it performs when it eventually arrives.

Soldato
The focus system of the A7iii also really draws me towards the system. Especially for portraits. The eye AF is almost like a cheat button.

Both in video and stills, I find autofocus very limiting. As a more casual street-type photographer, manually focussing isn't always possible. When videoing fast moving subjects its almost impossible.

Caporegime
The focus system of the A7iii also really draws me towards the system. Especially for portraits. The eye AF is almost like a cheat button.

Both in video and stills, I find autofocus very limiting. As a more casual street-type photographer, manually focussing isn't always possible. When videoing fast moving subjects its almost impossible.

It does feel cheating. A magic button to track a face without moving my camera.

Soldato
It does feel cheating. A magic button to track a face without moving my camera.

its that bang-on eye AF which kills it. face tracking my G85 can do but to hit focus on the eyes is like the pefection of portrait photography.

No more small focussing window onto someones eyeball to try and nail the focus. its quite a game changer.

I've seen videos comparing DPAF to sony's too... and honestly its so close now.

Associate
I as you SDK have the 6d currently, but I find it misses focus a lot - maybe I'm just terrible at using it but for me, the upgrade is mainly driven by the superior autofocusing system on the A7III.
I am just a hobbyist photographer, but it really does suck when it looks pretty good on the small screen, then when you get home you realise the focus is out and you've missed your chance.
I'm currently considering whether or not to start again with lenses or just use the adapter, I'll see how it performs when it eventually arrives.

A friend of mine has the 6D original and I own a 7D original. I do not like the limited AF points, no jog, slow focusing on the 6D, and my 7D is very good for taking quick photos, very good AF system . However noisecat 800ISO, limited DR, poor low light performance it does have its draw backs.

Just one big bonus for me on the A7iii is the eye AF and for sure it is a big cheat button. When I hand my 7D to the wife to take a picture of me or another person she hates fiddling around with selecting AF points. So many times she has missed focus on the face. Even with my Sony NEX5R which has a moveable AF point and limited face detection AF she still misses focus. The A7iii eye AF would end all that nonsense for me. Once you are home from a holiday and photos are slightly out of focus. You might as well delete the images as they are useless.

The only down side for me in getting A7iii is the cost of Sony G Master lenses. So expensive !
I know you can use the MC-11 adapter for Canon glass and if I get a A7III I would also get the adapter, and proberly a 24-70 or 24-105 Sony lense, so now a very expensive purchase.

I have watch a couple YouTube videos on camera registration and it appears Canon my be bring out 3-5 New cameras very soon. Though 2 of the 5 could just be different prototypes of the same camera.

The camera world is moving at a rapid pace !
I am not a new camera junkie and my next camera will have to last me at least 5-8 years . So I best choose wisely very soon !

Soldato

The question you should be asking is how easier would this £2k camera be in capturing your images.

Also set aside ore like 3k in total for lenses and accesories

Soldato
Raymond, do you have a Canon 24-70L mk1? If so how well does it work via the sigma adapter?
I can't seem to find much on the net about the 2 currently.

Soldato
Awesome, thanks. I'm thinking to get rid of the 24-105 f4L I have for one and use that with the Sony 85mm f1.8 for the foreseeable. Not really interested in video so don't really need a native lens for now.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
What are your opinions on the kit lens (SEL2870) which comes on the A7III Kit? I have been looking at that kit plus the Sony 85mm f1.8 (SEL85F18) to get me up and running, as ill be looking to trade in my A6500/SEL1670Z in for the deal.

Back
Top Bottom