1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by traveyb, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I have a wedding this Friday so will use it properly then but I have pretty much resigned to the fact that this camera won’t be good in the dark on the dancefloor because of the EVF, purely because when it’s dark, the EVF is REALLY dark. Because I am shooting manual flash, I would have my settings like ISO800-1600, 1/200th and F/1.4 or something and in that kind of setting it would be pretty dark until the flash goes off for fill. With OVF I can see light my eyes can adjust to the dark but EVF would be through the camera settings….which is way off what I am seeing. That alone tells me EVF would be unworkable really in a room where I set up various flashes. This is before whether the IR beam focus, which I already know the Sony body don’t have and I have turned off that light because I already know it’s light a torch….can you imagine if that automatically came on in a dark church ?! The vicar might throw me out thinking I just set off a flash.

The whole day I think the A73 will be my 50mm body, it is the only native lens that I have, and will use it up until I need the flash.

P.s. I only just discovered a month ago that the Canon 5D4 has face detect through the OVF too !

2. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

just replied to u !!!! basicaly set the live display effect to OFF

3. Combat squirrel

Sgarrista

Interesting - I found the EVF to be 'unrealistically' bright - seeing through an EVF was not a problem, it was simply the camera wouldn't autofocus very well.

What Jonney just said.............yeah the problem is it throws you until your brain adjusts because the evf is so bright! lol (much lighter than real life)

4. Richdog

Capodecina

Sorry Combat Squirrel but posts like this truly make me cringe. If you have to even begin to convince yourself that a new camera doesn't make you a better photographer then you clearly have the wrong mentality in the first place. A new and improved camera is like any technological tool, it simply allows you to do things that a technically inferior camera does not. Whether that is being able to better capture action or low light, or provide silent shooting or more megapixels to crop with is is by the by. Are you telling us that an A7III won't let you do things that the original A7 can't? That you can't take better photos with it relative to the sitution? Of course you can.

I read so much YodaJediBuddhistCrap in Facebook groups lately that it is starting to get seriously groan-worthy. If you can't afford or don't want a new camera then that is of course fine, don't buy one and enjoy what you have, but for goodness sake don't try and pretend that it can't be a tool used to improve your photography. No-one in the right mind believes that buying a new camera automatically improve your skills, but it provides a platform to grow into and enable more creativity simply by being able to do things other cameras can't. Stop attaching irrational emotions to a camera, it is a tool and enabler for your art and creativity. Nothing more.

The A7III is the most exciting camera to be released since the Nikon D750, and I pity Canon and Nikon for having to release something that even attempts to compete with this later this year. It's a great time to be a photographer. :)

5. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

Did you take this from a tripod? I can never seem to get that ultra sharp look your pics have :(

6. Richdog

Capodecina

It all depends on the lens, the shutter speed and and how stable the camera is. A lens that isn't sharp is never going to give you sharp photos even in ideal conditions.

7. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Hand held in a semi dark hotel room shooting back lit to a window at around 7pm....with the sun on the wrong side really so not very bright at all.

8. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

Any processing on this or is it straight out of the camera? 1.2 1.4? Crazy Bokeh on it!

9. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

It is processed, 1.4 at 160ISO.

raise 2/3rd of a stop and raised the shadows.

[​IMG]

10. RSR

Sgarrista

Stock still seems very hard to come by at the moment, as I keep checking weekly with my local camera place (CW).

Is Digital Rev's good to order from? As Ill give it to the end of the month and order it from them.

11. Combat squirrel

Sgarrista

Got my first native lens today - Samyang 35mm F2.8 FE - very very rapid focus - much better than adapted - great walk about travel lens - also I absolutely love and use 35mm 90% of the time for my style so, sorted - no doubt I'll get a F1.4 35mm also - but this is fantastic for pics/vlogging

12. sHo0sH

Mobster

I've had no problems ordering from them before, but it might be classed as a grey import - so if you are looking to sell later on to someone like mpb you may find yourself unable to.

Best just to stick an order in somewhere and wait for it to arrive.

13. RSR

Sgarrista

I have no idea who MPB are?

I've a order with Amazon and CW at the moment, as id prefer one from a UK supplier. I've been told they should have stock from the end of the month but if not ill order it from DR.

14. Combat squirrel

Sgarrista

MPB are a reliable 2nd hand and new camera dealer - google them - they are slightly more expensive 2nd hand than forum sales - but you get warranty and a large selection - new price is obliviously new price.

Recommended though.

15. RSR

Sgarrista

Ahh ok thank you, ill go check them out.

16. Janesy B

Capodecina

Had some trouble but I got mine from LCE in the end and it came with another year's warranty. Next day delivery too. But looking at the site it's now 14 days.

Grey market is 10% cheaper, it's just not worth it.

17. footman

Mobster

I bought an A7Riii and 100-400 from Jessops today after trying both the 7Riii and the A9. I also tried both bodies with my Sigma 150-600c. The results were very good but AF was quite badly affected.
    Jessops gave me a good price for my 1Dx and tweaked other costs to my advantage.

18. Monkey Puzzle

Soldato

How do you mean AF was affected? As in AF couldn't keep up at 20fps on the a9?

19. footman

Mobster

With both bodies there was a palpable pause before focus was achieved. It was somewhat worse than when the lens was on my 1dx but after using the Sony 100-400 where focus was instantaneous I felt that after making the investment in the Sony body that continuing to use the Sigma with the converter was a retrograde step.

20. sHo0sH

Mobster

I think I will be pre-ordering that Tamron lens. I can only find positive noises about it so far and really want to get a good walk about medium-zoom.
    After that it will be the 85mm 1.8 from Sony and that will probably be me done for quite a while.