The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Soldato
How are you finding the 24-70 GM?
I'm currently awaiting a response from sony, any thing over 60mm it's so soft it looks like it has missed focus. Had I bought it online I could just return it has I've only had it 7 days but I bought mine from a local store to support the local smaller businesses :rolleyes: Just hope it doesn't leave me with a crap copy.
I used mine over the weekend mostly at the long end and didn’t notice any softness.

Associate
From reviews I've seen it is soft at telephoto end which is why I went for the tamron over it
Most reviews I looked at didn't seem that bad to be fair.

I used mine over the weekend mostly at the long end and didn’t notice any softness.
Most seem to give acceptable results but mine is so soft its as bad as motion blur.

The shop said it cant be returned as its been used and sony uk said they have no involvement with branches. For the first time I feel so annoyed for not buying it online. Fingers crossed someone sees sense when they test it and agree its not acceptable.

Soldato
Most reviews I looked at didn't seem that bad to be fair.

Most seem to give acceptable results but mine is so soft its as bad as motion blur.

The shop said it cant be returned as its been used and sony uk said they have no involvement with branches. For the first time I feel so annoyed for not buying it online. Fingers crossed someone sees sense when they test it and agree its not acceptable.
Wouldn't this be covered by warranty?

Associate
All shot at the same location.. The 24-70 and 70-200 are the same meerkat in the same spot.. The one from the 24-70 is the best one it took, the rest are even worse.
24-70
244aaa8.jpg

90mm
2aj17qr.jpg

70-200
2lc66mv.jpg

Soldato
That's a heck of a difference between the lenses, I can't see how Sony could say that was within normal limits.
My shots were at 5.6 so no use to you there. I'll try some tomorrow, I have the A7Riii, don't know if that will make a big difference.

Associate
That's a heck of a difference between the lenses, I can't see how Sony could say that was within normal limits.
My shots were at 5.6 so no use to you there. I'll try some tomorrow, I have the A7Riii, don't know if that will make a big difference.
It would be interesting to know, I’m using the A7Rii. I’m not upgrading until they sort this lens and my 70-200. I’m at F4 before it starts to get better but even that isn’t great and defeats the object of paying extra for the 2.8 GM. At 50mm it’s very sharp even at 2.8, anything beyond 60mm even at F4 its poor. I’ve seen a few people have had issues using a mk2 with gm lenses, usually described as missed focus but mine is sharp below 60mm so I don’t know.

Soldato
It would be interesting to know, I’m using the A7Rii. I’m not upgrading until they sort this lens and my 70-200. I’m at F4 before it starts to get better but even that isn’t great and defeats the object of paying extra for the 2.8 GM. At 50mm it’s very sharp even at 2.8, anything beyond 60mm even at F4 its poor. I’ve seen a few people have had issues using a mk2 with gm lenses, usually described as missed focus but mine is sharp below 60mm so I don’t know.
Thats shocking! my 24-70 aint like that

PeakDistrict-160.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

RoyalTunbridgeWells-8.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

JDR05444.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Last edited:
Soldato
I had another check today photographing cereal packets (!) and couldn’t detect any significant softness at 70mm wide open, I also checked the family stuff I did over the weekend, mostly shot at 70mm and it looked fine.
Fingers crossed that Sony take back your lens for testing.

Associate
Thanks guys. They've told me one of the main technical guys at sony is going to meet me at the store I got it from so hopefully he will deem it unacceptable and it will get sorted.

Back
Top Bottom