The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
Yup its freaky good (although i cant understand why it does not work on Dogs (Animals)), had my A7III a couple of weeks now, defo going to swap all my Nikon Kit for Sony.

The algorithm looks for faces but the way it sees it is just 0s and 1s. The 0s and 1s has to layout on the pixel in certain way for it to = a face. The way I understand it is that in a face, eyes sockets will give darker area, same with the noses hole, the bridge of the nose will have a shadow going down, then under the nose a certain distance away will be the mouth where it will expect another area of shades of contrast change in an horizontal manner.

So it is looking for specific positions, distances of contrasts in terms of 0s and 1s. It will need a algorithm to look for dogs and with dogs having so many different breeds and the shapes of their heads being so different, and most of them do not have an eye socket so there isn't that shadow to look for contrast, then add to that the facial hair will often affect shadows, it is a very challenging thing to do for animals.

I know Sony was showing off animal Eye-AF for their next generation of cameras, it looks promising but i fear that the more this algorithm gets padded out with things it looks out for, it might one day end up mistaken some general household items as a face just because of the changes in contrast.

Man of Honour
Maybe a silly question.. so the A7 with Canon lenses using a converter:

1. Is the focal length/crop/ Aperture effected.. i.e does an f/2.8 70-200mm stay exactly s that?
2. From what I believe, the A7 has built in IS rather then the lens.. so how does this work when you use a lens with IS?
3. are there any other shortfalls of using a Canon lenses with the A7?

IMO, the the A7 seems like an obvious choice over the Canon 5DIV unless I'm missing something.

Caporegime
Maybe a silly question.. so the A7 with Canon lenses using a converter:

1. Is the focal length/crop/ Aperture effected.. i.e does an f/2.8 70-200mm stay exactly s that?
2. From what I believe, the A7 has built in IS rather then the lens.. so how does this work when you use a lens with IS?
3. are there any other shortfalls of using a Canon lenses with the A7?

IMO, the the A7 seems like an obvious choice over the Canon 5DIV unless I'm missing something.

1 - yes, 24-70 still is 24-70.
2 - You have dual IS, you have to try to see whether it is too much.
3 - it does not focus as fast as native.

Caporegime
Thanks .. is this something you'd recommend Raymond? Is it something you have considered?

Lol, you are a bit late to this thread I take it?

That was my intention, bought an A7III and adapt my Canon lenses but my first thought was to test it for myself the real world difference in performance between them and for me, and what I need it to do, I ended up buying native lenses.

I now have my main lenses on the Sony, can pretty much go through most of the day time wedding using native lenses, in the evening I switch over to 100% Canon...I will go all Sony I think when i get the flashes.

Man of Honour
Lol, you are a bit late to this thread I take it?

That was my intention, bought an A7III and adapt my Canon lenses but my first thought was to test it for myself the real world difference in performance between them and for me, and what I need it to do, I ended up buying native lenses.

I now have my main lenses on the Sony, can pretty much go through most of the day time wedding using native lenses, in the evening I switch over to 100% Canon...I will go all Sony I think when i get the flashes.

Yes definitely late in.. so thanks for taking the time to update me..

Why 100% Canon for the evening?

I've done 6 weddings now to help build experience and a portfolio but I now have 2 booked for next year so I need to start thinking about making the jump to full frame, with the pro features now rather than later. Hence my questioning.

Caporegime
Yes definitely late in.. so thanks for taking the time to update me..

Why 100% Canon for the evening?

I've done 6 weddings now to help build experience and a portfolio but I now have 2 booked for next year so I need to start thinking about making the jump to full frame, with the pro features now rather than later. Hence my questioning.

Because I have no flashes for the Sony, and Canon Flashes don't ETTL on the Sony either and I need the flash so i have to go back to the Canon.

Last wedding I did it was basically 50/50. 9am to 5pm I was shooting Sony then I put it all in the car and got my Canon gear out for the evening.

I have bought my first Sony flash (Godox) this week so will see how that goes, need a few more so I can do off camera flashes. The idea is I want (need) it to perform just as well as my Canon and from my not so scientific in the living room testing, it can at least fire 5 shots in a row without any dropped frames.

Man of Honour
Because I have no flashes for the Sony, and Canon Flashes don't ETTL on the Sony either and I need the flash so i have to go back to the Canon.

Last wedding I did it was basically 50/50. 9am to 5pm I was shooting Sony then I put it all in the car and got my Canon gear out for the evening.

I have bought my first Sony flash (Godox) this week so will see how that goes, need a few more so I can do off camera flashes. The idea is I want (need) it to perform just as well as my Canon and from my not so scientific in the living room testing, it can at least fire 5 shots in a row without any dropped frames.

Thanks Raymond.. I had a demo with the A7III the other day and was very impressed so your comments have convinced me further that this is indeed the way to go.. The 5DIV just seems a lot in comparison..

lol is the shoe yours as well :D

Caporegime
Thanks Raymond.. I had a demo with the A7III the other day and was very impressed so your comments have convinced me further that this is indeed the way to go.. The 5DIV just seems a lot in comparison..

I ended up buying 2 x A7III in the end as you can tell, 24/35/50/84 (all 1.4) now covered, i even went as far as getting Sony lenses as opposed to Sigma. Partly because of size of the Sony and I got a couple of good deals of them.

I have no regrets in switching, the camera or system isn't perfect, there are a few things that irritate me but I am finding overall it gets me what the images I want in an easier way which is the way technology is supposed to work, to make things easier.

lol is the shoe yours as well :D

Only the pink ones :p

Back
Top Bottom