The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
Reason I ask as someone was using their A7iii last night to capture fireworks and only had a 35mm lens which I thought was strange.

When I asked, their response was they only had the budget for a 35mm.

To be fair then that would exclude the 100-400GM ;)

You asked the wrong question. If you ask which lens you couldnt live without and be the only lens you have you will get comments like the 24-70GM, some of the primes etc.

Asking what your first lens should be will get you a different answer.

Personally a 35mm or 24mm prime is a very sensible first lens to own.

Soldato
Anyone use Capture One Pro, in very tempted by the £219 perpetual license.
Had a quick go and it seems great compared to lightroom.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a lower cost zoom for the Sony E mount? It needs to be at least up to 200mm, but I don't want to invest in a really top end lens as it will get very little use throughout the year.
When I wanted a cheap zoom I went for an old canon FD mount 70-210 or something, with adapter it was about £40. Takes okay photos certainly good enough for my very infrequent use.

Soldato
F
If you guys had to stick with just one lens for your A7/A9, which would it be?
or me it would be the 24-70 f2.8 unit. Quite big, but the quality is astonishing.

I've a smaller 24-70 f4 one that works on the gimbals - the f2.8 one is just a bit too big to get it to balance properly.

Caporegime
Can anyone recommend a lower cost zoom for the Sony E mount? It needs to be at least up to 200mm, but I don't want to invest in a really top end lens as it will get very little use throughout the year.
Tamron have theirs coming it this year. But grab a sigma. Mc-11 adaptor canon fit and then use anything for canon. Big choice of decent sigma and tamron zooms then

Soldato
Thanks but I was looking for something right in the value range - ideally that I can pick up on eBay for under £2 - £300 or so. It is just for some F1 shots next month but that's a one off and I can look at something better in 12 month's time like the Tamron.

Soldato
Back from Safari and that 100-400 - What a lens! https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hf37C3YJKKhrBgsP7
That is my whittled down selection (predominantly the 100-400, with some Tamron 28-75 and Samyang 14mm thrown in) The processing won't be to everyone's taste but I like them.
As above some great images there (and I like the processing) with a number that really stand out as fantastic, my fave has to be the portrait of the woman in the doorway.

Soldato
Some great shots there !
Cheers!

As above some great images there (and I like the processing) with a number that really stand out as fantastic, my fave has to be the portrait of the woman in the doorway.
Thanks, that was the "Coffee Queen of Kibale" she's been growing, making, and selling coffee there her whole life. I've never had a coffee quite like it - straight from the bean being roasted, it was quite something. That was the Tamron in action.

Soldato
I'm liking using Capture One Pro 12, just trying the express one for now but I'm already missing the advanced colour adjustments. But are they worth the £219.

Caporegime
It should be incredible when it costs £2k

True. Yet some high end expensive lens can be a bit disappointing and doesn’t live up to expectations. The 100-400 though is the opposite and out of all 8 lens I own, it’s the one which has amazed me the most in just how bloody good it is.

Back
Top Bottom