1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by traveyb, Apr 19, 2017.

1. tatts

Wise Guy

Didn’t it say in the release notes somewhere that it wouldn’t work if it was assigned to another button?

2. Greebo

Caporegime

Did it? Damn will go check.

3. MrRockliffe

Wise Guy

Is it still worth getting a 1st gen A7? Looking at getting a camera for some photography and video work, and have been looking at:

• A7
    • A6300
    • X-T20

4. .one.

Mobster

I owned an A7 and it was a horrible experience.

5. MrRockliffe

Wise Guy

Why so?

6. .one.

Mobster

I was used to canon and the A7 feels like a toy and AF was unreliable & colour science junk.

7. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

Get the A72

8. Richdog

Capodecina

That has all changed with the A7III series (other than the size which if you don't like then that can't really be helped).

AF and colour science are excellent.

9. MrRockliffe

Wise Guy

It's a little out of budget with a lens - would absolutely love one though

10. And

Hitman

I get some of what you're saying. It's different, you need to learn its quirks.

From the A9 perspective (as a long time Canon shooter), the colour science and white balance isn't quite there with Canon but can be fixed in post, the noise is comparable with Canon's best, the AF is better (but needs time to learn how to best use it) and the silent shutter is just amazing. Can't help you with the size if that's what you mean by it feeling like a toy, I've been looking past that and just using the camera as a tool to get images.

11. aoaaron

Wise Guy

Do any of you Sony A7/9iii users have any solutions for the lack of a flippy screen? I kind of need one, especially for video. Would a Atmos ninja be the perfect solution? Not sure how heavy or portable it would be.

12. Spleen Sauce

Hitman

Some people get away with using the smartphone app, gives an idea of focus and framing at least. Failing that, a SmallHD monitor would probably do the trick. Atmos is a bit overkill unless you really need it.

13. doodah

Capodecina

Doesn't the Atmos cost around £500? Probably not the most idea cost wine. Does the PlayMemories app work for the A7iii?

14. Greebo

Caporegime

New app now. Imaging Edge I think its called. Much, much, much improved over the god awful playmemories app.

15. aoaaron

Wise Guy

But don't you lose autofocus if you use the apps?

Yeah it does seem a bit overkill, I agree... the small focus HD costs about the same though.. and the atomos offers better IQ and 60fps so I thought it'd be a decent shout..

16. Greebo

Caporegime

17. Richdog

Capodecina

I tried the app this morning before I went to work and the functionality seems really low, you can hardly change an settings with it? I was expecting much more settings including the new interval timer etc.

Very disappointing, unless I am missing a mode or something.

18. crinkleshoes

Capodecina

I just picked up the 135mm... there's something very special about this lens!

Got the two f0.95 lenses... didn't realise til it arrived, the 35mm is for APS-C... but the 50mm has a nice dreamy effect to it, even though it's not very sharp.

[​IMG]
    _DSC5534
    by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC5552 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

Quick first play with the 135mm at home:

[​IMG]_DSC5478 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

19. doodah

Capodecina

Noice - what aperture is the 135mm?

Supposed rumour that the A9ii will be coming out in September and it will be 'revolutionary'. It's fairly balls to the wall so other than upgrading the flip & touch screen, SD card slots and FPS in mechanical - not sure how revolutionary it can be.

Edit - 135mm f1.8 :eek:! Wowsers. Keen to see some reviews on how it does compared to the 85mms.

20. Greebo

Caporegime

It blows the 85mm out of the water in sharpness, bokeh, AF speed, quietness.

A9ii I would expect will be 36Mpx stacked sensor and global shutter. Along with the best AF of any camera system.