The Tesla Thread

Soldato
I was given a Model S as a loaner while my Model 3 had some work done. Was very glad to get the Model 3 back. The Model S feels like a normal car in comparison. Felt like going back in time.

Similar - I didn't like the Model S loaner I had for 2 weeks - felt "too big" if that makes sense. Stupidly quick compared to my M3 SR+ but I felt there was loads of wasted space around the middle of the car etc (was a 16 plate from memory)

Soldato
Finally test drove the Model 3 Performance today. Small hit on performance but not in real world scenarios compared to my S. The biggest thing I'll miss is the hatch-back boot, but in terms of the space I need it will be fine, so I can live with that. Small Niggles around manual boot open/close, no heated steering wheel, ride slightly firmer (as I have air suspension on my S) but I can't justify the extra £600 pm for those. I'm happy with my choice.

I'm going to get my Model 3 Wrapped, Windows Tinteted and De-Chromed similar to the below. I really like the white interior but not sure if the bright inside and dark outside will clash.

ec7e0624445fbf7c38811fa35eab78ce.jpg

Soldato
See Tesla is now officially valued at more than VW, and second only to Toyota. $594.50 intra-day high so far, and looking like the Model Y is imminent on a U.S. delivery front which will no doubt push it further.

Soldato
I think what he was saying it would cost an extra £600 a month to buy a performance Model S compared to a Model 3 performance. I think there is a huge price difference so the number isn’t surprising.

Soldato
£600 per month?!?!

the difference between a model 3 performance and a model x performance is £600 pm.

move ruled a mode a performance as I currently have a model s p100d and the cost isn’t much difference to an X for the benefits it brings.

One strange thing is my model s p100d currently has an annual insurance premium of £600. For the Model 3 they want £1600... I assume as it’s more desirable and more are being nicked somehow.. I’m with novo insurance currently but guess I’ll have to shop around again..

And for my wrap/de-chrome got a quote for £1800 for that so all sorted for delivery now.. if I ever get an estimated delivery date..

Soldato
Added mud flaps to my Model 3 SR+ as I'm tired of constantly cleaning the salt and dirt sprayed up the side of the car this time of year. Tesla ones are a bit too small at the front probably to reduce drag so I bought some bigger copies off Amazon.

Easy to fit apart from the the brittle push clips that are supplied which I replaced with some OEM Toyota ones I already had (original clips are too short). Can be a little tricky to apply pressure to the back of the clips to seat them but a small block of wood and a lever did the trick.

I've been driving with them a few days but this morning doing my typical commute (yeah Saturday) I noted the consumption figures.

6 DegC
18.3 miles
5 kwh hours used
277 wh/mi

Battery 25 DegC so fully warmed from charging prior to leaving which is typical unless the temps drop to 0 DegC or below.

Total consumption after 4500 miles is coincidentally 277 wh/mi and anything around 280 - 290 wh/mi is normal for in these milder winter conditions. If it had been over 300 wh/mi then I would have said they were having a significant affect on drag so they can stay on all the time as a result.

Soldato
Total consumption after 4500 miles is coincidentally 277 wh/mi and anything around 280 - 290 wh/mi is normal for in these milder winter conditions. If it had been over 300 wh/mi then I would have said they were having a significant affect on drag so they can stay on all the time as a result.

That's very decent - I do a lot of short journeys with the kids to school/swimming pool/gym etc so I am currently way higher 340wh/mile average over 2700 miles. I've got around 400 miles missing from Teslafi due to not starting it at day 1. But most of that has been over the winter months so expect as things start to warm up outside that should get better.

Soldato
Good figures and confirms to me in the EV thread where we see people mention 1kWh /4miles for estimating electric costs as some what of an optimistic guess.

It's not an optimistic guess, over the course a full 12 months in all seasons the 4 mpkWh is 'normal' the fact that nigh on 3 mpkWh is being achieved in wet miserable winter conditions should tell you that.

Soldato
See Tesla is now officially valued at more than VW, and second only to Toyota. $594.50 intra-day high so far, and looking like the Model Y is imminent on a U.S. delivery front which will no doubt push it further.
The shares have had a good run recently. Feels like a bit of a bubble possibly due for a large correction or a lot of future potential is being priced in. The shares don't even offer a dividend. VW pays over 2.5% annually. Difficult to see Tesla on a similar level as the likes of VW and Toyota at the moment, IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not an optimistic guess, over the course a full 12 months in all seasons the 4 mpkWh is 'normal' the fact that nigh on 3 mpkWh is being achieved in wet miserable winter conditions should tell you that.

I was referring to generic EV numbers. rather than the best figures of the efficient EVs and then based on battery energy used rather than actual grid delivered. Chill. Winter still forms part of an average!

Soldato
I was referring to generic EV numbers. rather than the best figures of the efficient EVs and then based on battery energy used rather than actual grid delivered. Chill. Winter still forms part of an average!

That's what I just said. :confused::confused::confused:

4 mpkWh is the 'average' over 12 months, which to everyone is all 4 seasons of the year, or two as we now seem to get. Take terrible iPace efficiency and excellent Ionic efficiency and you still average 4pkWh, across the year.

Why can't you see this?

Back
Top Bottom