The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Yeah, it was listed originally but quickly went down. I was told to order as they sort finance closer to delivery.

Don't forget the 5k miles referral bonuses guys. If you already own a Tesla, apparently you can refer yourself... The 5k expires after 6 months though unfortunately.

Still can't decide between SR+ and LR. A bit of cold weather and rain means that a journey to my parents (Reading to Widnes) would need two short, 10 min stops on SR+ - which is annoying.

Is that 5k of free supercharging, or something else? Scrambling my mind trying to find a way to afford one :p. I kind of wish I still had a long commute as I'm sure some man maths would make the TCO very appealing! As it stands only going 6-7k a year now so basically impossible to justify.

Soldato
200 mile journey, ~3.5 hours, and you don't stop for a pee or drink etc?

Problem is that the range after 40k miles is about 228. Then say you won't go below 10%, that's about 200 miles usable range on a good day. Factor in low temps and rain = loss of about 65 miles. Don't dare go over 70 mph either or the range drops further (and it's obviously illegal). To be fair, not sure I'd get above 50 mph on the M6 anyway with all of the road works... I just don't want to be left sweating about range my entire journey up. Not sure the 10 trips a year is worth £100 per month difference in cost.

Is that 5k of free supercharging, or something else? Scrambling my mind trying to find a way to afford one :p. I kind of wish I still had a long commute as I'm sure some man maths would make the TCO very appealing! As it stands only going 6-7k a year now so basically impossible to justify.

5k free supercharge miles for both parties.

Soldato
Problem is that the range after 40k miles is about 228. Then say you won't go below 10%, that's about 200 miles usable range on a good day. Factor in low temps and rain = loss of about 65 miles. Don't dare go over 70 mph either or the range drops further (and it's obviously illegal). To be fair, not sure I'd get above 50 mph on the M6 anyway with all of the road works... I just don't want to be left sweating about range my entire journey up. Not sure the 10 trips a year is worth £100 per month difference in cost.

Failed to see how that has answered my question, you don't stop on a 3.5 hour journey, or 200 miles? Even if you could only get 150 miles from it (completely unlikely), running it down to 7-8%, so over 135 miles travelled and then charging for 20 mins at 100kWh would put you back to being well in excess of the required 65 miles left of your journey.

Soldato
I wouldn't stop on a 3.5h journey either. I do Manchester to Fort William a couple of times a year that's a 5h30m+ drive and i don't stop. It's those sort of trips that i could see an electric car annoying me.

Soldato
Failed to see how that has answered my question, you don't stop on a 3.5 hour journey, or 200 miles? Even if you could only get 150 miles from it (completely unlikely), running it down to 7-8%, so over 135 miles travelled and then charging for 20 mins at 100kWh would put you back to being well in excess of the required 65 miles left of your journey.

Sometimes I stop, sometimes I just really want to get home. Depends on traffic really. Don't mind stopping for a bit, just don't fancy the 35 mins that ABetterRoutePlanner is suggesting.

Soldato
5k supercharging credits has an expiry of 6 months I believe. You might want to check that. If you go on to refer people then of course you can stack them but you have to do the work.

That said even if you use it all the time it’s still negligible in terms of the cost of the car and the convenience of charging at home.

Soldato
I wouldn't stop on a 3.5h journey either. I do Manchester to Fort William a couple of times a year that's a 5h30m+ drive and i don't stop. It's those sort of trips that i could see an electric car annoying me.

So don't buy an electric car? Ironically how ever the LR M3 does 348 miles, and your epic 5.5h journey is only about 320 miles. My back would not thank me for sitting in that same position for that long. :)

Soldato
So don't buy an electric car? Ironically how ever the LR M3 does 348 miles, and your epic 5.5h journey is only about 320 miles. My back would not thank me for sitting in that same position for that long. :)

Return trip. I think best case for our household is to have one electric car and I've diesel.
Electric would be brilliant for commuting.

Soldato
Return trip.
Exactly! People focus on the range as a single factor when it is more complex than that for some people. I travel the UK for work and could probably do the miles I need in the time I have with a decent range EV capable of rapid charging.

The problem is when my overnight stop is in the back end of nowhere and I'm booked in at the local travelodge or whatever. They may have a charging point available but can I guarantee it'll be working? Can I guarantee it'll be free or will someone have parked in it for the night by the time I get there? If it is a slow charger will the car even be fully charged by the time I set off in the morning? All of this is hassle I don't need in my life so for me, we are close but not quite there.

Soldato
200 mile journey, ~3.5 hours, and you don't stop for a pee or drink etc?

I don't stop on Manchester to coast of Essex, which is 4 hours (if I'm alone, longer with the little one in back). Just wanna get there.

Waiting for a guaranteed 300 miles on one hit before I make an EV jump but probably next car will be.

Soldato
Waiting for a guaranteed 300 miles on one hit before I make an EV jump but probably next car will be.

Surely you mean waiting for a "guaranteed 300 miles on one hit" that you can afford?

I don't stop on Manchester to coast of Essex, which is 4 hours (if I'm alone, longer with the little one in back). Just wanna get there.

Again great, everyone is in such a hurry they forget about their health, tiredness, hunger, bladder. It's almost becoming a joke really. We all know we could sit in a car and drive for 10 hours, pee in a bottle, eat a pre-made sandwich and get out feeling like you need to be stretched on a medieval rack, but stopping once for 15-30 minutes is hardly something the majority of people do not do on such journeys.

Soldato
My wife drives 125 miles each way to work 4 days a week. Max range at 100% on our LR is 325 but we also have the 19” wheels which does reduce the range by 10% or so.

At 100% charge and driving between 75-85mph all the way (100 miles are highway) she can just about make it there and back with no charging, but it’s tight. She normally stops off on the way back for 10 minutes at the supercharger (soon to be upgraded from 300mph to 600mph) which gives her 50 miles (100 after upgrade), and time to grab a drink. She will be charging at work soon, so that will completely alleviate that need. If she drove at 70mph the entire way, I have no doubt 280-300 miles would be the true range.

End result is $500 a month saved in petrol, and a much more relaxing commute with the autopilot.

Soldato
So you just go there, turn around and come straight back? So you are doing 11+ hours of driving non-stop then? Really confused now.

Yes i stop for the whole day up there but its a carpark in the middle of no where. But its there and back within 24 hours.

Soldato
Again great, everyone is in such a hurry they forget about their health, tiredness, hunger, bladder. It's almost becoming a joke really. We all know we could sit in a car and drive for 10 hours, pee in a bottle, eat a pre-made sandwich and get out feeling like you need to be stretched on a medieval rack, but stopping once for 15-30 minutes is hardly something the majority of people do not do on such journeys.
A massive over-simplification. So last weekend I went to see family, stayed at a cottage and went to a car show dropping my wife off to see her sister on the way. Not something I do every week but hardly a once in a lifetime occurrence. No peeing in bottles occurred, in fact we stopped twice on the way up and once on the way back. Total time stopped probably 45 minutes.

So according to the Better route planner that same exact trip in a 75D Tesla would have required 2:20 of charging time and a 55 mile diversion to Leeds. The former I could probably accommodate the latter... no.

I'm pro EVs, I really am but the over simplification of point A to point B trips to justify their viability just doesn't cut it. At the moment you are reliant on destination charging. This either needs to improve OR we need a better charging network.

Soldato
A massive over-simplification.

Sorry what did I over simplify? I was pointing out that not stopping isn't the cool thing to do, quite the opposite. I didn't say anywhere that for 'all' journeys taken by everyone all of the time that they would only need to stop for 15-30 minutes. I couldn't give two hoots if people want to drive a BEV or camper van the same applies to both, not stopping is not good for you. My old work place used to force me to take 5 minute breaks from the desk and chair every hour, as they did with everyone as it is unhealthy to sit in on place for too long.

As for the charging network, talk about obvious statement being obvious, of course the charging network needs to get better there BEV's make up about 3-5% of the UK cars. In 5 years time that will probably be about 15-18% or possibly more if the pull their finger out and sell more under £25k with a range longer than a 24kwH leaf.

Out of curiosity what was your total distance covered, both directions, and how long did it take?

Soldato
Sorry what did I over simplify? I was pointing out that not stopping isn't the cool thing to do, quite the opposite. I didn't say anywhere that for 'all' journeys taken by everyone all of the time that they would only need to stop for 15-30 minutes. I couldn't give two hoots if people want to drive a BEV or camper van the same applies to both, not stopping is not good for you. My old work place used to force me to take 5 minute breaks from the desk and chair every hour, as they did with everyone as it is unhealthy to sit in on place for too long.

As for the charging network, talk about obvious statement being obvious, of course the charging network needs to get better there BEV's make up about 3-5% of the UK cars. In 5 years time that will probably be about 15-18% or possibly more if the pull their finger out and sell more under £25k with a range longer than a 24kwH leaf.

Out of curiosity what was your total distance covered, both directions, and how long did it take?
Maybe I should have quote post 1709 or 1717 where you were clearly talking about range in terms of getting you to your destination without factoring how to get home or on to your next stop.

Of course my comment about the charging network was obvious. It is one of the biggest issues with some people being able to feasibly run an EV.

The trip was around 450 miles. Time wise it is hard to say as there were 6 destinations between leaving and returning home.

Back
Top Bottom