• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awful recommendation to spend £1700 on a 3090, considering there will VERY likely be a 3080Ti in Q1 2021.

That will be a paper launch though. By the time you manage to get your hands on one, it will be past June. At this rate you will just keep waiting till Hopper comes out.

Yes i probably wrongly misinterpreted money not being the issue here
Just because money isn't an issue doesn't mean it makes sense to throw money at something that isn't a good buy. Money isn't an issue for me but I still aim to only buy things which make sense and provide some kind of value overall relative to what is out there. The 3090 is the most senseless card Nvidia have ever released.

That will be a paper launch though. By the time you manage to get your hands on one, it will be past June. At this rate you will just keep waiting till Hopper comes out.

I think you are exaggerating there... next year the stock situation should be much better for all cards and Hopper is likely not going to be rushed out in 2021.

Yeah i agree, thats a given.. so late in the upgrade cycle that I would rather skip and wait for Hopper.
For a gamer who wants absolutely the best and wants it to last for 18 months, there are only 2 choices here RTX3090 or RX6900XT (raster vs RT)
For a more value conscious buyer the choices become a bit muddled and he better wait for reviews and decide
Even the Ampere Titan will be a very bad buy (when it becomes available).. because this generation is not going to last long as Ampere was delayed due to the pandemic and Jensen wants his crown back

Just because money isn't an issue doesn't mean it makes sense to throw money at something that isn't a good buy. Money isn't an issue for me but I still aim to only buy things which make sense and provide some kind of value overall relative to what is out there. The 3090 is the most senseless card Nvidia have ever released.

I think you are exaggerating there... next year the stock situation should be much better for all cards and Hopper is likely not going to be rushed out in 2021.
The 3080 is still not available and we are 2 months away from launch. People are still setting up chrome extensions and bots to get their hands on these. Queues are still way into the thousands worldwide and the cards are selling out as soon as they come in stock, even at scalped rates. January is when we expect the 3080 stocks to normalize. No way you are getting your hands on the Ti till 1Q is over. At that point, the 3080 Ti has a very short life span to the next gen. I think NVIDIA will be scrambling to get Hopper out as soon as possible as AMD seems to have caught them with their pants down this generation.

Yeah i agree, thats a given.. so late in the upgrade cycle that I would rather skip and wait for Hopper.
For a gamer who wants absolutely the best and wants it to last for 18 months, there are only 2 choices here RTX3090 or RX6900XT (raster vs RT)
For a more value conscious buyer the choices become a bit muddled and he better wait for reviews and decide
Even the Ampere Titan will be a very bad buy (when it becomes available).. because this generation is not going to last long as Ampere was delayed due to the pandemic and Jensen wants his crown back

If the concern is getting through this generation with minimum expenditure and maximum performance then it looks like the best option is a 6800XT, which when overclocked is reportedly close to a 3090 anyway and almost surely has enough VRAM for any upcoming game of the new generation.

The 3080 is still not available and we are 2 months away from launch. People are still setting up chrome extensions and bots to get their hands on these. Queues are still way into the thousands worldwide and the cards are selling out as soon as they come in stock, even at scalped rates. January is when we expect the 3080 stocks to normalize. No way you are getting your hands on the Ti till 1Q is over. At that point, the 3080 Ti has a very short life span to the next gen. I think NVIDIA will be scrambling to get Hopper out as soon as possible as AMD seems to have caught them with their pants down this generation.

It's generally an 18-24 month lifecycle from Nvidia generation to generation, so if Hopper is 12 months or less I will be extremely surprised and then it would really suck to be a 3090 owner.

If the concern is getting through this generation with minimum expenditure and maximum performance then it looks like the best option is a 6800XT, which when overclocked is reportedly close to a 3090 anyway and almost surely has enough VRAM for any upcoming game of the new generation.

It's generally an 18-24 month lifecycle from Nvidia generation to generation, so if Hopper is 12 months or less I will be extremely surprised and then it would really suck to be a 3090 owner.
Thing is that unless you are at 4k then both current offerings from AMD and NVIDIA absolutely smash games at the lower resolutions. Are you really going to buy another GPU within a year even if it is another 30% better

Yeah but generally AMD doesn't compete with NVIDIA at the top-end. Its been a long time. I don't think the 3080 Ti is the solution to NVIDIA's problem which is why Hopper will be brought forward. The gap between the 3080 and 3090 is so small that it makes it pointless to slot another card in calling it a 'Ti' when its more like a 3080 Super which an overclocked 3080 can match. The 6800 Xt, based on rumors, when overclocked not only beats 3080 but also matches 3090 and that is excluding 6900 XT. I think NVIDIA will just cut their losses and move on to the next generation instead of bringing a Ti.

Thing is that unless you are at 4k then both offerings from AMD and NVIDIA absolutely smash games at the lower resolutions. Are you really going to buy another GPU within a year even if it is another 30% better
I will be gaming at both 1440p and 4k depending on the game (I have dedicated monitors for both). If I buy a 6800XT for a decent price before Christmas then I can't see myself upgrading again next year. In the end I don't WANT to be upgrading on a very regular basis, it's too stressful and I just want to sit back and enjoy my games without constantly thinking about what I can buy next. The days of FOMO upgrades are largely behind me now. :)

The best time to buy a 3090 was at launch, every day wasted massively depreciates that card.
However, if the 3080ti works to a realistic March-April time frame.. then the purchase makes even less sense than a 3090.
Because then the buyer is confused if he is a value gamer or an uber-no-frame-left-behind gamer, which is a more fundamental question.
As for me i was originally aiming at 3090 SLI, then the 6900XT CF but have now lowered my expectations to 6800XT, because of obvious reasons

RTX3080 is a superior choice compared to RX6800XT (DLSS+faster RT+faster mining (for some) for an additional $50) but only if you can get one at suggested prices.. the reality is that the prices on street are nowhere close to nvidia's advertised prices.. so the only practical option is to wait for reviews and then decide basis real world pricing & availability, RT is not so big that I would be disregarding pricing & availability

Neither of this is true.

AMD Radeon RX 6800 allegedly 1.5x faster than GeForce RTX 3090 in cryptocurrency mining
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-rad...han-geforce-rtx-3090-in-cryptocurrency-mining

The Radeon RX 6800 XT has:
Radeon Image Sharpening;
Radeon Boost;
Radeon Chill;
16GB of VRAM;
Infinity Cache;
FidelityFX - Contrast Adaptive Sharpening;
Smart Access Memory;
Modern user interface and more convenient Radeon Settings;
Lower power consumption;
Lower price;
Sapphire build quality.

I agree with this. I was in the same position where I did not care about cost and just wanted to get the best components so I got the 3090 Strix OC expecting to be wowed by RTX. I realised very quickly that for me RTX is not worth the premium that is being charged for it as the implementations are (in my opinion). horrible right now. I'd rather take the traditional performance of the 6900XT and then revisit RT in a couple of years when the tech has matured. I sold the 3090.

I will be gaming at both 1440p and 4k depending on the game (I have dedicated monitors for both). If I buy a 6800XT for a decent price before Christmas then I can't see myself upgrading again next year. In the end I don't WANT to be upgrading on a very regular basis, it's too stressful and I just want to sit back and enjoy my games without constantly thinking about what I can buy next. The days of FOMO upgrades are largely behind me now. :)
But if you are spending crazy money on GPUs like the Ti, why would you buy it in March knowing that a 4070 is a year away which would beat it at half price? The 3090 user got 18 months of money's worth out of that card

ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Taichi

Check the article again (its been debunked) "We have confirmed with GPU reviewers who already have access to Radeon RX 6800 series that the mining performance is definitely not as claimed by the user. The story is therefore not true."

It could be trolled with wrong information which by the way nowhere states that the Radeon will be slower..

But if you are spending crazy money on GPUs like the Ti, why would you buy it in March knowing that a 4070 is a year away which would beat it at half price? The 3090 user got 18 months of money's worth out of that card
I also think the theoretical 3080 Ti for £999, as far more palatable as it would be than the disgraceful 3090, is still a waste when compared against the 6800XT for £650... seems like it's still one for people who just really want an Nvidia card that competes in performance and VRAM with AMD's latest and greatest. We also don't know how far away RDNA3 and Hopper are at the moment and it is pure speculation as to whether we will actually see them in 2021 or not. They may decide to delay the launches due to the very late availability of their 2020 launches, as otherwise they are going to **** off a LOT of people who are not willing to upgrade to soon after buying an expensive card. But who knows, maybe at this point contrary to my beliefs they simply don't give a **** and will do it regardless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom