• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don't know how the hell you guys were able to reply to anything on the forums in the past hour :p

Managed to get a Sapphire 6800XT - Got the order confirmed by email, so crossing my fingers that's it - But I won't rest until I get that delivery notification :p

Caporegime
Tell you what, i just came from the Gamers Nexus review and thought it was pretty mediocre, also with problematic things like Minecraft, overall he seemed pretty down on the card and his slides didn't show it in a great light.

So now i'm half way through Hardware Unboxed and it looks much much better.

The difference is Gamers Nexus used old or ageing games while Hardware Unboxed used the latest titles, funny how one review can give the impression the cards are a bit too mediocre, while not bad they are a letdown, and the next review they look really good, all because one used old games and the other didn't.

Soldato
From the reviews at 4K it doesn't look as good as the 3080 on average?

I don't have a problem with its performance, but people were clambering how it's smashed the 3080 into irrelevance...

It was always going to be very close for 6800 XT vs 3080. The real domination is for 3070 vs 6800 and 6900 XT vs 3090. Imo the 3070 is probably the worst card I've ever seen launch compared to the competition, bar maybe some real duds like the 960 and 1650.

Associate
GN review numbers are so different to HUB. The quality really doesn't seem to be there with GN anymore.

With SAM turned on, at least in some games, this is probably the biggest inter-generational leap since the original 3DFX cards.

Shame the 5xxx CPUs are all unobtainium.

Associate
Its clearly bottlenecked at 4k, and sits between Turing and Ampere for Ray Tracing perf, which is exactly where i and many others expected it to be with regards to Raytracing perf.

At 1080 its walks all over Nvidias entire stack in quite a few titles, so much so that even the 6800 walks over the 3090 in a few titles, im sure Nvidia will work hard on fixing that shortfall though.

Prices were good for the Reference 6800XT model at other vendors, at £600 that is an exceptionally good price for the performance on offer, i game at 3440x1440p and my bro games at 1440p and were both getting the 6800xt as it will fit our needs perfectly.

I imagine the decent Partner custom cards will be sub £700, infact id be that the Red Devil and Sapphire Nitro+ SE will be closer to £680, and if they are they should be absolute bargains, but i have to say the reference model is exceptionally good, AMD really nailed that cooler this time round.

Rage mode just seems to increase power limit, im fairly certain some OC'ing tools will exploit this further, and the SAM stuff will be interesting to see from Hardware Unboxed when they give it a good test, im reading on average a 5-6% uplift, free performance is free performance if your running 5xxx CPU and 6xxx GPU imho :)

Overall i think AMD really smashed it here, the one thing that soured this launch is stock, AMD never ever ever have a perfect launch, but if lack of stock is the worst thing, then i think we can all say actually its a great launch, as next week onwards we will see partner models, and all the rumors at the moment is AMD have really pushed supply to partners to make the custom cards, with potentially Sapphire and Powercolor, XFX and Asrock getting the larger portions, which bodes well as arguably the Sapphire Nitro+ SE and the Powercolor Red Devil are likely to be the best 2 custom 6800XT's to buy, if they are sensibly priced (I wont be buying from OCUK it seems) they could definitely be short on stock for a few weeks until supply starts surpassing demand.

Well done AMD, bravo on getting back in the game.

Associate
I suspect memory is the bottleneck at 4K. Can't change memory clocks atm. I suspect someone will figure out a workaround though ... if those can be nudged up a bit, it may be pretty beneficial.

Associate
Tell you what, i just came from the Gamers Nexus review and thought it was pretty mediocre, also with problematic things like Minecraft, overall he seemed pretty down on the card and his slides didn't show it in a great light.

The difference is Gamers Nexus used old or ageing games while Hardware Unboxed used the latest titles, funny how one review can give the impression the cards are a bit too mediocre, while not bad they are a letdown, and the next review they look really good, all because one used old games and the other didn't.

Ironically if you look at the latest games... Dirt 5, Godfall, AC Valhalla etc, AMD absolutely smashes it.. i got a sneaky suspicion this is the Console architecture paying off here....

Associate
I much prefer HUB charts. But do still watch GN's review. They both offer something a bit different.

i love HUB, he breaks it down perfectly. he also only tested using a 3950x i think?

I find GN rush info, like the dual-rank situation, the video created so much confusion whereas HUB was a lot clearer.

They also need to be using systems that benefit the platform like where AMD is more memory sensitive, which I think is why HUB had better results.

Soldato
Its weirdly terrible in Minecraft, like unplayable terrible (RE: Gamers Nexus) something wrong with it in that game? There must be.

100% something wrong when the XSX apparently runs Minecraft RT at a decent framerate.

AMD driver team strikes again imo. Even TPU shows the 6800XT getting lower fps than a 2070 in some games. How!!?

Soldato
So 6800xt and rx3080 are about the same performacne as was expected.

The main differnce is AMD has 6 extra GB of VRAM and Nvidia offers 30%-50%+ better RT performance.

SAM seems to give beetter 1% lows FPS. (if you have 5000 series CPU)

I was leaning towards buying 6800xt but now I am not sure, perhaps 3080 be a better bet if RT performance is important (along with already existing DLSS as opposed to AMD's FidelityFX that we not nothing about right now).

Perhaps better drivers on Nvidia (at least from what I have read about latest AMD releases) might just tip the scale.

Good thing I don't need to make a decision now because they are not in stock anyway.

Associate
With SAM turned on, at least in some games, this is probably the biggest inter-generational leap since the original 3DFX cards.

Shame the 5xxx CPUs are all unobtainium.

Hoping this changes relatively soon. I know we're suffering with massive backlogs in logistics because of Brexit and COVID, but doesn't seem to be much better in other regions.

Associate

People will be playing games of all types though. You have to take them all as a whole and base it on that. It also seems a stretch to call games like RDR2, Control and Horizon old as well. The new games being used will have less appeal outside of Valhalla and even that has been hit with the crap bat in some reviews.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I can see
It was always going to be very close for 6800 XT vs 3080. The real domination is for 3070 vs 6800 and 6900 XT vs 3090. Imo the 3070 is probably the worst card I've ever seen launch compared to the competition, bar maybe some real duds like the 960 and 1650.

I know and so many people have been scrambling for the 3070s - for me thats the worst card of the lot and for £500+?

Soldato
Ironically if you look at the latest games... Dirt 5, Godfall, AC Valhalla etc, AMD absolutely smashes it.. i got a sneaky suspicion this is the Console architecture paying off here....

Interesting train of thought. Especially because it loses AC Odyssey but wins in Valhalla.

Does lose in WD Legion though, but this is an Nvidia/RTX title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom